HOH people who recieved an CI, pls look here!

I dont have video. just audio. I used the digital voice recorder that I got for work to cover my ass when people make false accusations against me.
Lilly has very good speech. I is rapidly catching up wit her hearing peers. We are always looking to improve expressive language. She actually understands language better than her haering peers. As far as her quality of speech is concerned, the unofficial test we use is if the general publiccan clearly understand her. Most of ther time they can, easily.

Oh, that great...

Thanks for answering my question.

That's proof about CI will help alot but some hearing co-workers said that deaf people cannot use voice or speak on oral language then that make me so upset and started debate with them, I told them that depends on individual and deaf people can be different way, learn from ASL to oral language. Some of them don't believe then let them to find out but some people are afraid to get deaf babies and end up on adoption, also you are really brave man to take care of your deaf child, that great.

Thank you for the compliment about raising a deaf child. But, it has nothing to do with bravery. It is simply doing my job as a parent. As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my daughter. The fact that she is deaf is just one of many factors that make her unique in her own way. The fact that she is deaf, does not make her WHAT she is. It is a part of WHO she is.
Unfortunately, too many people would turn thier back on their child when they find out he/she is deaf, or any other issue. That just shows that there are certain people in our society that should not reproduce. We have to pass a test to drive a car, apply for a license to own a dog, but no proof of common sense is required to have a child. Figure that one out.

Thank you for the compliment about raising a deaf child. But, it has nothing to do with bravery. It is simply doing my job as a parent. As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my daughter. The fact that she is deaf is just one of many factors that make her unique in her own way. The fact that she is deaf, does not make her WHAT she is. It is a part of WHO she is.
Unfortunately, too many people would turn thier back on their child when they find out he/she is deaf, or any other issue. That just shows that there are certain people in our society that should not reproduce. We have to pass a test to drive a car, apply for a license to own a dog, but no proof of common sense is required to have a child. Figure that one out.

Your welcome...

I'm apologize about made little mistake, that right about parent's job.

Of course, deaf children and hearing children can do everything with their life when is sucessful.

Getting cochlear implant

yes they can, in fact they make a better candidate for CI than profoundly deaf .

I am severe HOH in both ears since birth. I wore hearing aids all my life. I speak, read lips, and I don't do ASL. I attended mainstreamed public school from K-12 and the only class I took for LD because of my hearing loss was English. I took regular classes for all my other subjects.

I just had my cochlear implant 3 years ago when I was 27 years old and it is alot better than my HA's in my opinion.

How much hearing did you have before you got the cochlear implant? How did you enjoy music then? How about now?

I am profoundly deaf but I still enjoy music with my hearing aid, can talk on the phone, etc., like Ismi. I can even tune my guitar, something I'm told I probably won't be able to do after getting an implant. I feel uncomfortable with the idea of getting the implant when I still have some natural hearing, but I've decided to go ahead and do it (scheduled May 7th) since I know that it's only a matter of time before I lose the rest of my hearing and I'd rather be proactive. It makes sense since I'm a student at Hopkins which has a really good implant program and if I waited until after I graduated and lost my hearing then, I'd probably find myself in a rough spot.

well, CI is not perfect but they do sound alot better than hearing aids. I could hear pretty much anything with my hearing aids before the implant, But there were alot things I couldn't hear too. I couldn't hear a microwave beeping in another room, and with my CI I can. I couldn't hear the "s" sounds with my hearing aids, and now I can. I rarely use phones before and after. I just don't do phone. I think it is the level of pitch that make me unable to understand phones.

I also wanted to mention that it is hard to distinish where sounds coming from. I can't understand why is that because it sounds better than hearing aids and yet, with my hearing aids I could tell where sounds are coming from. With CI, People would be talking behind me, and I keep brushing it off as a background noise. I guess with hearing aids, the louder the sound, the more it tickle your ears.

I love musics just as you do, and I have to admit that it took me awhile to enjoy music with CI. After that, musics sounded just like my old hearing aids but louder. Cochlear.com do have a new processor that is more music friendly, and I am waiting for my insurance to see If they will cover it (and they sure are taking forever to respond!) .

Honestly, if your heart is toward music, getting two CI will help you.

I have to warn you, it takes awhile to get used to CI and can give you a headache. It is probably best to get it done before summer so you will be ready for college in fall.

Last edited:
Just wanted to agree with Nightcrickets. The music appreciation isn't crash hot but I'm hearing quite a lot more than I could before, with hearing aids. I can now hear my child breathing, when she is asleep from across the room. I can hear the alarm from my iron (when I've left it switched on) beeping from across the house. And the sound of a bird flapping it's wings when it takes off in flight. It's made me realise what I couldn't hear before, which is actually a nice experience, as you feel like a little kid again, figuring out how things work.

My phone usage is now much better with the CI than with hearing aids but not everyone will experience this. Every individual is different and there are people who feel disappointed with their results with a CI. It doesn't change you from being a deaf person - if anything I've been more conscious of the fact that I'm deaf. With hearing aids, before my sudden loss, I was probably in denial. I thought that things would never change.

some profoundly deaf people get enough hearing with a hearing aid. But then again others do not.
yeah, even before CI, about ten percent of deaf kids got benifit from hearing aid amplifcation.
We are always looking to improve expressive language.
This tends to be the bugaboo for dhh kids. Most dhh kids are always gonna have to have speech therapy for expressive spoken language.

Back