HLAA/CI chapters

ClearSky

Reaction score
Do any of you attend the Hearing Loss Association of America or Cochlear Implant chapter in your area?

Not a huge fan of them. They just seem to be good for late deafened or CI folks. They're also kind of dull............Like I actually got yelled at b/c I dared to suggest that the reason why there aren't more young dhh members is b/c basicly their approach is Hearing Health 101...........aka really DULL!

I brought this up because we have all kinds of people here that are open to other things besides true Deaf Culture. We have HOH, d/Deaf, CI people here.

It may be dull to you but not to other people. They bring up information about hearing because there's always new people or other people that don't know as much as some other people do. They talk about new technologies as well. That's not a bad thing.

I haven't seen a deaf club that talks about new technologies. It seems it's all about socialization, and that's it. Some people have talked about how Deaf Coffee chat is boring, so I don't know if that means that the HLAA or CI chapters are any more duller.

Just wondering if people have been to those chapters.

No, I have not been to any.

With videophones, E-mail, mobile phones and even DPHH, less and less deaf people are going to the clubs.

I had the opportunity to attend an HLAA meeting once. I enjoyed myself, but I'm one of those people who prefers to communicate with other d/Deaf, HoH and CI users through message boards and e-mail. There is a CI support group in my area, but meetings are only held bi-monthly and cover topics I'm already familiar with (FM systems, how to utilize CI accessories, etc.).

Cool. I have checked out websites, and it's nice for them to put up websites. That way we know what's they are doing. I have seen one that does movies and socializing.

Back