HiRes Auria

Live3Him

Reaction score
EEEE, I'm so nervous. I'm going to get a cochlear implant on May 5th! I finally decided today after approximately 5 years that I seriously wanted one. I'm going to get HiRes Auria BTE processor. I'm 17 years old and I was born hearing. I got spinal mengitis (spelling?) twice when i was 2 weeks old and 4 months old. I ended up becoming profoundly deaf.. or you could say STONE deaf. Hearing aids are useless with my left ear but I use a strong digital hearing aid with my right ear. I know ASL but I also read lips and speak as well. Some people say I speak clearly and well for a profound deaf child. Anyways, I'm getting a cochlear implant because I want to be able to hear my future children, my husband, and little things that hearing people take for granted. I am hoping the whole process will go smoothly and I will be able to benefit from my cochlear implant. I probably will get mapped or whatever you call it (get my CI hooked up) for the first time somewhere during the first week of June. Hopefully in time for my high school graduation, which would be awesome! hehe. I am also hoping that the CI will assit me in understanding my family better since most of them speak with an accent and it is difficult to comprend what they are saying. Only my mom out of my 30+ family members sign.. it is kind of disappointing to me but at least i'm finally getting the opportunity to be able to understand them. ahh, I'm just hoping the surgury goes well and that the CI works and I am able to benefit a little from it, such as being able to hear clear and crisp sounds.

Have any of you guys recieved the HiRes Auria since it has only been on the market for like a month if I am correct.. :) hope to hear from some of you guys!

I wish the best luck to you on having a successful experience in using the cochlear implant.

Just an advice... never give up even if you feel like it's going nowhere. It take a lot of time and progress to become a successful CI user and I hope you will succeed!

thanks :) I hope I don't give up too easily too. I will be attending RIT this fall so hopefully I'll be getting support and taking speech and listening therapy there. :)

Kewl, wish you best of luck :D

i'm also born hearing and got spineal menigitis. at age 2.. now i'm considering in getting a CI too smile :D hope i get it before i'm 25 haha.

Hey guys!!! I got my CI on May 5th as scheduled... I'm still on the recovery road.. the doctor said the operation went beautifully and that he couldnt have asked for a better operation! When I woke up, I was in a lot of pain but the nurses gave me morphine which helped me a lot but also put me in a fucked up world. lol. the leaves painted on the hospital walls seemed like they were swimming around the room.. everything was tripping, i was also itching like crazy lol. I was able to stand up and walk around the next day but only for a short while.. I went home the next day as well.. Things have been going smoothly lately except that I get light headed from time to time mostly when I hit my head on accident (I'm really clumsy now because of my balance, which im slowly regaining as well) I should return back to school tomorrow but I still cant do my regular schedule because I'm on vicodin and still tire easily. I cannot wait until my hookup! hopefully tomorrow i'll find out when my hookup is! :)

thats great! hope it all goes well and worth ur big decision in the long run -- yes Banjo is right, be patient and itll come together for u! :D

:grouphug: glad u got thru the surgery safely!

Hearing aids are useless with my left ear but I use a strong digital hearing aid with my right ear. I know ASL but I also read lips and speak as well. Some people say I speak clearly and well for a profound deaf child. Anyways, I'm getting a cochlear implant because I want to be able to hear my future children, my husband, and little things that hearing people take for granted. I am hoping the whole process will go smoothly and I will be able to benefit from my cochlear implant.
Did you get the CI in your left ear? Sounds sort of like the sitution that Heather Whitestone McCallum had...she had an ear that responded really well to being aided, but the other ear was "dead" so she decided to get a CI for that ear. A word of advice....Have high expectations for the CI, but don't get disappointed if your hearing level with CI is different then other people's.
Everyone's experiance with CI is different...some people can hear 100%, some only hear at mild loss levels, some can only perceive enviromental sound and so on (just as with hearing aids)

Hey wow congrats! Hope everything works out for you! I thought Kayla and i were the only under 20 ppl on this board! I'll add you to MSN and we can talk! BEST OF LUCK!

Live3Him said:
Have any of you guys recieved the HiRes Auria since it has only been on the market for like a month if I am correct.. :) hope to hear from some of you guys!

Hello, the HiRes released last Summer and then later new implant in late Auguest or September. Glad you got the cochlear implant and keep us up post because in past one person get hook up and we asked that person what it like. He just disappear. I don't know what happen to him. I met one person who is deaf and wore cochlear implant. He forbid me to question about those. It kind of rude people out there :mad2:

Remember, Cochlear implant is like hearing aids and pratice with it. It can be fun to learn. When you found something of sound will turn your favorite. I have friend who has one and her favorite sound is door crecking when the door is opening or closing. It might weird as sound it is.

I am getting cochlear implant hopefully this month or next month before surgery gone out of town for three months due his church activite. What kind of health insurance carrier? Mine is Aetna that provide me cochlear implant that I started work last month. The insurance paid 100% and glad I don't have to deal with the money at this moment. Since I have been waiting for one and half years to get it due the Blue Cross of Okla doesn't cover that.. Ugh..

Keep up the post and when will you get hook up the activitie?

Back