Hiking the pct (thru-hike)

kevinbellamy

Reaction score
So, I have plans to thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail aka PCT in 2018. The length is 2,650 miles (or around that). I'm just curious who else on here hikes or has completed such a strenuous journey? I love hiking and I have an immense passion for outdoors but tackling such a physically and demanding hike will be without a doubt the most difficult challenge I have faced in my entire life. I'm not too stressed about being a Late-Deafened Adult and spending 4-5 months outdoors but at the same time it's a little frightening also. Im more concerned about running into some weird characters or constantly dealing with assholes then I am running into bears and other critters.

Sounds like a great trip Kevin. I wonder if an advance warning system(dog) would help. I have been thinking about goals myself and how the mountains call to me. Myself I am for just quietly passing away out there but not just yet. The having a well trained hearing doggie makes a lot of sense. Friends have suggested I do this anyway ... no not the quiet last breath, just the dog... smiles.
First question of mine on that is what breed is ideal for me and mountains in bear country and so on? The next question was how do I pack enough food for doggie too?
I got a great suggestion for setting my hearing companion up with a pack. That in itself is an educational logistical addition, but worth looking at.
I myself have had some health issues that would require me to stay with day trips. Day trips would also give me a lot of practical experience dealing with surprise human and bear contacts as well. Bear spray is a good equalizer with both but I would have a pistol somewhere too. Still I keep coming back to the hearing dog. And what mixture of breeds?

Back