High Definition captioning

I have found a work-around for my particular situation. I recently bought a Sanyo DP32746 and the captions worked with analog cable and the VCR, but not the DVD player. I turned off the progressive scan but still no captions. Since the captions worked with the VCR I decided to try connecting the DVD player to the composite jacks that the VCR was connected through. THAT made the difference. CC wasn't available with any of the component jacks, only the composite. Since there's only one set of composite jacks on this TV I bought an A/V switch box so I could still have both the DVD player and VCR hooked up. I'm not too happy that I can't use the component jacks; but honestly, I couldn't see any huge quality improvement in the picture. In fact I think it looks better using the analog composite jacks! Good thing for me, huh? :P

Dish Network's dirty little secret

The dirty little secret is that Dish Network does not support HD broadcasting and CC together, at least nowhere that I could find.

Try and find that information published ANYWHERE by Dish Network. Their sales figures, according to ONSAT magazine February have shot up enormously, so apparently HD and CC do not seem to be an issue for many of us!!

They have a software problem related to their use of MPEG4 in their HD TV receivers. Others still use MPEG2. Hard to get the truth!

Fortunately my hearing loss is mostly age-related and I use binaural hearing aids but I require Closed Captioning to avoid missing the jist of the dialogue because certain words do not come in clear... a common senior problem.

At this time, I have logged in 10-15 hours of telephone time talking to various levels of Dish Network personnel... and I am convinced that a 'truthful' answer is hard to get!

I recently purchased an upgrade to my DishNetwork membership, a 622 dual HDTV (with HDMI cableing) receiver and although the picture has been lost temporarily, I believe that is it a dish alignment problem, perhaps by wind or wire issues. By and large the picture quality is good.

I also have two other receivers in the house, a 625 (dual but not HDTV) for two CRT sets and a 301 model for two older small standard TVs. I have become quite well acquainted with the subcontrator for Dishnetwork because of various problems, not spelled out at the time I purchased (or leased) the 622 HDTV receiver.... and he has tried hard to coordinate my needs with DishNetwork's technology.

The first situation that arose was lack of lip-sink using HDMI cables to connect the receiver to my 26" Samsung LCD receiver... and after a number of calls to 800 333 3474 and talking to all levels of Dish Network comployees, I discovered that the 622 does not support HDMI cables, and must be connected with component cables to work. My TV is PIP-equipped and I have a Samsung combination HDMI-cabled DVD and VHS-VCR player and the Samsung products are not an issue... they work well.

Unfortunately, the information regarding the performance of the HD 622 Dish Network unit is hard to get out of the various techs and programming personnel, with varying amounts of ignorance (not stupidity, just not well informed) and although KGO ABC San Francisco Engineer advised me that they support closed captioning with their HD programming, it may be a problem because their programming is in MPEG2 and Dish Network is using MPEG 4 in its HD models, and MPEG 2 in the regular TV models. I can receive CC on my 625 receiver, but not on the 622 receiver ANY HD broadcast (Check INFO button and it will state if the program is HD. I have not found any program HD that has (CC)... though I have found (CC) on those stations listed in the on-screen guide as "HD" but as you know they also broadcast MOST programs in regular definition and with those (CC) is available... but not ABC TV KGO Channel 7.

I can get ABC TV by using an alternative station, 8220 KGO and there CC is available! I receive CC on 5 KPIX CBS and 11 NBC. (NBC does not list CC in the info screen but does provide it (?) Strange! (Unfortunately, I lose this picture too often to accept that option... Error 15 and reconnection.

So if you wish to have closed captioning, find the 4-numbered alternative to your station by using 'favorites' and as you scroll down, you will find at least 2 other locations for the major network programming.

Last night, in 'testing' the tech information people, I was informed by the Pittsburgh tech, 3 different people, that DishNetwork does not support LOCAL HD programming with closed captioning! To prove it they sent me to NFLTV, (9424?) and sure enough the info button indicated an HD programming but no closed captioning. I pointed out that this was not LOCAL but a NATIONAL program and the one tech who gave me the station number then indicated that it must be a national issue as well. (Well is it or isn't it???)

Last edited:
Dish HD CC

I have the older Dish 942 HD DVR receiver, which is MPEG2. I receive the locals HD via an roof antenna feeding directly into the 942 receiver. I spent about $200 for the roof antenna, installed.

I have no problems with CC on shows which list it, which are the vast majority of shows, both local HD and Dish channels. The 942 has recently had a software upgrade which fixed the CC problems I had previously. The fact that you are not receiving CC on your Dish HD is very odd and should be able to be fixed. Whether or not the 942 software fix has been issued for the 622, I don't know. Make sure you are leaving the 622 plugged in but turned off overnight. This is how the receiver receives software upgrades automatically.

I had to contact the FCC and file a complaint in order for Dish to act to fix my previous problem. You may want to try that road.

I too can't get CC on my Olevia HD tv with Direct TV. In menu on Olevia where CC us supposed to be it says "Firmware Version" instead of CC icon. I'll talk to Olevia next week and then Direct TV and report back. I need help, too.

When you say "I can't get CC ...", do you mean analog or digital TV programs? For analog TV programs, the problem is in the TV. For digital programs (SD or HD), the problem is external like Direct TV receiver.

If you use OTA antenna connected directly to the TV, then both analog and digital CC decoders should be in the TV.

For digital programs from Direct TV, you should contact Direct TV for digital CC issues.

What Olevia model number do you have? I would like to look at their user manual from their web site.

Peter

The dirty little secret is that Dish Network does not support HD broadcasting and CC together, at least nowhere that I could find.

I have friend and bar club, both carry dish network, the new and the old one still support CC on any HD show include sport. It works fine. Had to put enable CC on cable box.

I doubt you would be back to reply mine. :D

Yea the Dish Network does support HD with caption. I don't know where did you get that unless your machine is old and need download from Dish company for new firmware to have some feature to enable caption.

Closed Captions HD Directv

glory! I've got closed captions now, thanks to great help from directv. My Olevia TV CC has no relevance.

On the directv remote, I select menu. Then I arrow up to settings. Then I select settings. On the next screen that shows I select setup. Then with the arrows on the remote I scroll down to Display and select. A screen of "files" shows: PREFERENCES, CAPTIONING, CENTERING, and CLOCK.

At that point my remote arrows no longer work (too many files within files), so I move to the arrows on the directv receiver.

I press the up arrow on the receiver to highlight PREFERENCES in yellow. Then I press the right arrow to move to the captioning file. In CAPTIONING I press select to change my captioning from "off" to "on". Don't worry about what appears on the screen--a list of choices. Just select "on" AGAIN. You see, you have chosen "on," and then you have to select it. That is where I made my error before. I didn't select "on" twice. Hope this helps everyone. Directv was great. AND I got some free coverage for my trouble.

londrajs

Back