Hiding Places for a Spare House Key?....

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Under the door mat...or above the door frame...everybody knows about that....

Got a good idea where to hide/conceal your spare house/auto key?

Got a deck? Hide one underneath the wood floor (assuming your deck is high enough) by nailing it between joists. I did this at one of my former houses; helped that the deck was in the backyard so nobody from the street would be watching if I had to go fish out the key.

Also, if you are just locked out of your house and not the garage, the garage has many places you could hide a key. I used to put mine at the bottom of a "junk jar" that was full of scrap nails, screws, washers.

My friend has a wall mounted mailbox a bit like this and sometimes she puts her keys in there.

I remember a thing for vehicle rental guys was to put the key on top of the tire of the parked vehicle, inside the wheel well.

If you can trust a family member(who is not on drugs), with a family member is probably the best place to keep it.

If you can trust a family member(who is not on drugs), with a family member is probably the best place to keep it.

How do you know you would trust your family even though some fo them are on drugs? ;) Also, how do you know ALL people who are on drugs and would do such as stealing???

Yeah, my folks have a key too. But they're a good bit of a drive away so that's a last option. Fortunately I haven't locked myself out in about 20 years.

Not all people on drugs steal.

They sell fake rocks now that has a combination lock on them you throw in the garden or in the landscape. Also they sell locking mailboxes and lock boxes for keys you mount to the wall. I hid keys under sidings, window ledges/storm windows and even hung one on a branch of a bush. You can also put one in a pill bottle and bury ot in a stragically located area that you can find easily.

ge-accesspoint-001413-keysafe-original-2-key-slimline-pushbutton-combination-key-box-white-image-003.jpg

$%28KGrHqN,!oUFDCIENIZwBRC+%2893,Tw~~60_35.JPG

I use to my Key Safe Lock Box on my shed.

and my spare key card in my wallet for my car.
key-card.jpg

RO-80007a.jpg

How do you know you would trust your family even though some fo them are on drugs? ;) Also, how do you know ALL people who are on drugs and would do such as stealing???

In both cases, the person would have to think about each of those things before giving over the key.

Sadly, it is not a perfect solution, but leaving your key outside isn't a perfect solution either.

Personally, I would break in instead of leaving a key outside. You might have to pay for a broken window or door lock, but that's a whole lot cheaper than replacing all your stuff.

Yeah, my folks have a key too. But they're a good bit of a drive away so that's a last option. Fortunately I haven't locked myself out in about 20 years.

Not all people on drugs steal.

No they don't, but I've heard enough stories about it that it would give me pause when giving out my house key.

I have a kitty door in a back window. I had a spare key "hidden" under a piece of cardboard taped to the inside with a string attached. This was when my daughter and the girl who was living with us would sometimes like themselves out. They knew how to open the locked kitty door from the outside and reach in to get the key.

I no longer have the key there, so don't even bother trying to find out where I live. :D

My stepmother used to borrow a ladder from the neighbors and go through a really high second story window.

As for me, I just don't lose things. :)

We don't bother with house keys. We use coded door locks. So does my daughter's family. She got tired of the kids forgetting or losing their keys, and didn't feel it was safe to leave one outside.

My stepmother used to borrow a ladder from the neighbors and go through a really high second story window.

As for me, I just don't lose things. :)
I had to crawl thru the doggy door once. My Labs were on the other side and wanted to get their faces into mine while I entered their "space." Never again! :lol:

We don't bother with house keys. We use coded door locks. So does my daughter's family. She got tired of the kids forgetting or losing their keys, and didn't feel it was safe to leave one outside.

That's what we have. Anything to get one less key on my keychain! I have a lot of keys.

:(

I have a remote controlled deadbolt lock, haven't used it in years but still have it. has a red locked light and turns green when unlocked so you can see it from a distance. doesn't help much when the door isn't closed all the way, but nice when its raining and you don't have to fumble with keys.

I have a remote controlled deadbolt lock, haven't used it in years but still have it. has a red locked light and turns green when unlocked so you can see it from a distance. doesn't help much when the door isn't closed all the way, but nice when its raining and you don't have to fumble with keys.

i need to get that, gets WET here often

I just laughed myself about best place to hide spare keys... well, one day I just decided to take a look outside on third floor deck (master bedroom deck) and I closed the sliding door to conserve the heat from entering the house. When I'm done looking around and went back to the sliding door and it's locked!!! I was like oh shit!!!! there's no way to get back in the house!! I'm 3rd floor above ground!! There's no way for me to call someone because I left my cell phone inside the house, there's no way for me to shout for help!! So, I decided to figure out a way to get down to the 2nd floor...but it's very very risky. I can climbed over the railing but I need to figure out a way to lower myself as close as possible to the second floor railing. So, I figure that raising my hands up, the distance between my feet to the tip of my hands is about 8 feet. I look at it and there's no way for my feet to reach close enough to the second floor railing. I only need about 2 feet more. So, I came up with an idea of using my belt and wrapped around one of the post and let it hanged over to the side, that will give me 1.5 feet lower. Then here I goes, I climbed over and put my hands wrapped around the post where the belt located and climbed down slowly and managed to grabbed my belt to climbed down lower and I have about a foot between my feet and the second floor railing. I let go my belt and manage to land on the railing and jerked forward toward the second floor deck. MADE IT!!! If I lose my balance and fall the wrong way, I'll be dead on the ground. I would never thought of me locking myself out on 3rd floor. Then I start thinking about putting spare key up there!!!

Attachments

• 3rd flr deck.jpg
    3rd flr deck.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 23
Back