Hi

mom2twins

Reaction score
Well, I am new. I am hearing. I grew up with a Great Aunt that was deaf, she lip read only. That was my first contact with deafness. I feel I learned so much from her. She was actually put into an institution when she was in 3rd grade and was kept there until she was around her 50s. I will never understand why they did that. There was nothing wrong with her. I have always been interested in sign language, somewhat because of my aunt, and somewhat because my Grandad taught me the alphabet in sign.

I am married to a great guy who is hoh. He does have HA but does not wear them around home, just work. I am very proud of him he just graduated from nursing school and started working as a nurse. We are learning ASL together, and took the first class together. I have since continued on with classes, and have just finished my last ASL class I can take until I get into my interpreting classes. I do want to become an interpreter, but we are moving to a small town and the only program that would be possible would be an online computer program. Not sure how it would work learning from home on a computer. But we will see, if there is a will there is a way. Part of me is worried because we are moving to a small town I will forget what I have learned. I really want to stay connected with the deaf community.

As a kid I was always being told I was hoh. Not sure why they always said that, but when they tested me I never came out normal. I did put a pencil through my eardrum when I was 5 and have some scars from that, but I feel now that sometimes I hear too much.

Anyway, I feel blessed to have found this site, and hope to get to know more of you as I continue my life journey.

Back