Hi! Glad to be here

eternalbeginner

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm really glad to have found this forum since I am entering a new world. Sorry for the length of this post!

I'm a 39 year old mother of 2 kids and was a professional musician until about 5 years ago. I'm now a professor (not in music) so this change isn't affecting my livelihood, luckily.

I had a sudden change in my hearing about 6 months ago (after playing violin - it's loud) and eventually went to the audiologist when I really realized how much my hearing had changed. I have a unilateral moderately severe (70dB) notch at 1000-2000Hz. 750Hz is 10dB, so pretty much a cliff fall. it gradually returns to 15dB at 8000Hz. From everything I have read, this is not a typical profile of noise induced hearing loss. I have a lot of trouble understanding what people are saying, especially in noisy environments or when there is more than one speaker. If I have my good ear (all within typical range) against my pillow in bed, for example, I can't easily understand what my husband is saying. It is getting frustrating.

Since my test about a month ago and I feel as though my hearing is continuing to decrease in that ear, but I'm not sure if it is just being aware of it now (and the severity). I have scheduled another test and have decided to talk to them about a hearing aid. In my first appointment, the audiologist mentioned that amplification would be very difficult because of the sudden change between 750Hz and 1000Hz. She said there is often bleed between frequencies and because of my musical training I may be more sensitive to it. Does anyone have experience with programming a hearing aid with such a sudden change in amplification in such a small frequency range? I have good insurance and live in Canada, so I'm thinking that it may be worth a try anyway since it would be very little if anything out of pocket.

I've been trying to research this type of hearing loss, but there seems to be very little information on it. I have been referred to an ENT and have an MRI referral but since it's non emergent, I'll probably wait a while. Has anyone else had experience with this kind of hearing loss?

Thanks so much!!

Hi Everyone! I'm really glad to have found this forum since I am entering a new world. Sorry for the length of this post!

I'm a 39 year old mother of 2 kids and was a professional musician until about 5 years ago. I'm now a professor (not in music) so this change isn't affecting my livelihood, luckily.

I had a sudden change in my hearing about 6 months ago (after playing violin - it's loud) and eventually went to the audiologist when I really realized how much my hearing had changed. I have a unilateral moderately severe (70dB) notch at 1000-2000Hz. 750Hz is 10dB, so pretty much a cliff fall. it gradually returns to 15dB at 8000Hz. From everything I have read, this is not a typical profile of noise induced hearing loss. I have a lot of trouble understanding what people are saying, especially in noisy environments or when there is more than one speaker. If I have my good ear (all within typical range) against my pillow in bed, for example, I can't easily understand what my husband is saying. It is getting frustrating.

Since my test about a month ago and I feel as though my hearing is continuing to decrease in that ear, but I'm not sure if it is just being aware of it now (and the severity). I have scheduled another test and have decided to talk to them about a hearing aid. In my first appointment, the audiologist mentioned that amplification would be very difficult because of the sudden change between 750Hz and 1000Hz. She said there is often bleed between frequencies and because of my musical training I may be more sensitive to it. Does anyone have experience with programming a hearing aid with such a sudden change in amplification in such a small frequency range? I have good insurance and live in Canada, so I'm thinking that it may be worth a try anyway since it would be very little if anything out of pocket.

I've been trying to research this type of hearing loss, but there seems to be very little information on it. I have been referred to an ENT and have an MRI referral but since it's non emergent, I'll probably wait a while. Has anyone else had experience with this kind of hearing loss?

Thanks so much!!
lost my hearing due to seizures after i batled cancer not easy but things do get easier .......i always think it could be worse.
be positive im here if you need to chat im also on instagram as signsunshineanddonut.

Welcome :wave:
There are self-programming units you can buy depending on the make/model of hearing aid you have. I am not an expert in that area but hopefully someone with some expertise will respond.

Hello and welcome! I am deafblind with asperger syndrome. I gave up wearing hearing aids in my 30's and I'm now 47.

Welcome :wave:
There are self-programming units you can buy depending on the make/model of hearing aid you have. I am not an expert in that area but hopefully someone with some expertise will respond.
Hi, could you please send me some more information about it , I really want to avoid my audiologist of hell.

Back