Hey Tech Buddies! I'm Working On A Simple New App, For Deaf To Non-deaf Communication.

Didn't meant to disrespect, I'm using the forum BECAUSE of your knowledge, not otherwise. Thank you for everything, as well @Mieke . I'll be sure to test out and post some result via YouTube because the app is not ready yet(development etc')

Awesome!

I don't use those apps, I write or talk (I can use voice to speak sometimes), but I'm not sure if there's already an app that does recognize voices in real-time? This is ideal or essential especially in meeting, something like that.

There are a couple of apps out there that I know of. One developer posted here about his. (Verbatim if you want to do a search on it). It's great text to speech but speech to text needs a LOT of work (not just this particular app either). Distance, various levels of loudness, accents for starters are all variables to worry on. I would love something for lecture type (small group) presentation that also have Q&A... once tried it...failed miserably. I'd have better luck with my FM system (if I had the mic- lost that a long time ago).

Speech to text is the last frontier it seems and it's gonna take a long long time to ever get it right and closer to 97%.

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum. It's great that you want to develop a communicate app. As the CEO of a company focused on deaf communication, I can tell you that the project you are working on is no small task. NexTalk has been working on project Genesys for over 3 years now. This project is designed to remove relay operators for calls between the deaf and hearing. At first blush, it seems simple. There are speech engines on the market like dragon and nuance. Apple uses Siri, Windows uses Cortana. I came from the home automation industry where we used voice engines for voice controlled home automation systems on a regular basis. But the reality is that the current voice engines on the market are not reliable enough. We have given up using these "off the shelf" voice engines and are working with a speech conversion technology company in the northwest for our project.

I wish you the best of luck on your project.

Thanks

Gary Tanner
CEO
NexTalk. Inc.

My research engineer husband has a knowledge in signal processing. Yes, he can write algorithm. (It involves voices and speech). He said that it will never be 100% accuracy at this time. And not even get closer in a few years in theory. He said that Google is probably the best app for now.

Back