Hey, everyone! :)

MintyOreo

Reaction score
Well, hello! I'm new here :wave:

My name is Jessica. I'm 16, and I'm deaf/hoh. (deaf in one ear, hoh in the other.) I call myself deaf, not hoh. I've been told that I will lose all of my hearing by the time I become an adult - and that's just fine with me! :)

I am learning ASL, but my skills aren't the best yet. I'm hoping that that will change soon. Currently, my primary forms of communication are writing, e-mail, and texting/IM. I HIGHLY prefer signing to speaking. I HATE voicing; I try to avoid it at all costs if I can. I don't live in an area where there are many d/Deaf people, especially not teens/young people, so it's rather lonely...

I LOVE rabbits, I am a yarn addict (I crochet, and I am learning how to knit), and I love doing all things crafty. I also LOVE word games and languages. As you can probably tell from my username, my favorite foods consist of mints and Oreos!

Well, that's about it, I think. :ty: for having me here! :)

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Hi & welcome from another Hoh/Deaf :)

I'm completely deaf on my right side (+120db) & mild-moderate fluctuating HL on my left. I also have APD (Auditory Processessing Disorder).

In writing I use the phrase "Hoh/Deaf" to describe myself:)

When explaining in person to people I either say Hoh or Deaf depending on the situation (and if it's likely I'll be seeing that person often or only very rarely etc).

I sign (ASL) and speak.

Last edited:
Heyy everyone :) I'm excited to meet new friends on here ! I am hearing, and I just started learning ASL on lifeprint.com...anyone have any suggestions for me?

Hi MintyOreo! I am hearing, but i also just started learning ASL. Do you learn in school? or at home? I've been taking lessons online at lifeprint.com, and it's really helpful :), by the way if anyone is willing, I would love help practicing my signing :)

Well, hello! I'm new here :wave:

My name is Jessica. I'm 16, and I'm deaf/hoh. (deaf in one ear, hoh in the other.) I call myself deaf, not hoh. I've been told that I will lose all of my hearing by the time I become an adult - and that's just fine with me! :)

I am learning ASL, but my skills aren't the best yet. I'm hoping that that will change soon. Currently, my primary forms of communication are writing, e-mail, and texting/IM. I HIGHLY prefer signing to speaking. I HATE voicing; I try to avoid it at all costs if I can. I don't live in an area where there are many d/Deaf people, especially not teens/young people, so it's rather lonely...

:)
The best way to learn ASL is through immersian. You'll pick it up faster by being in an enviroment where EVERYONE knows ASL.....which is why going to Deaf School or Deaf camp would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think also you could argue (for academic placement) that you need to be fluent in ASL b/c you'll lose ALL your hearing.
We have a poster who is struggling b/c she was HOH as a kid, and didn't learn ASL. She went totally deaf, and while she knows some ASL, still isn't fluent, and it's frustrating to her b/c she cannot function fully and completely.

and if you're in PA, look into Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf
This is an AMAZING school for the deaf!

Thanks! I've looked into WPSD. Actually, that's where I want to go. I'm still trying to convince my parents... They think that if I were to go to a Deaf school and learn ASL, I might decide to go voice-off and sign ASL instead of being oral and speaking English. (But, I WANT to go voice-off and sign ASL instead of being oral and speaking English... They don't seem to understand this, though.) I hope that I can convince them! I can't keep doing mainstream... Well, actually, right now I go to a cyber school. Doing school on the computer is nice and all, but it's not the right fit for me.

Thanks! I've looked into WPSD. Actually, that's where I want to go. I'm still trying to convince my parents... They think that if I were to go to a Deaf school and learn ASL, I might decide to go voice-off and sign ASL instead of being oral and speaking English. (But, I WANT to go voice-off and sign ASL instead of being oral and speaking English... They don't seem to understand this, though.) I hope that I can convince them! I can't keep doing mainstream... Well, actually, right now I go to a cyber school. Doing school on the computer is nice and all, but it's not the right fit for me.

AWESOME! You know point out that if you go to WPSD you would be becoming bilingal. Would your parents object if you got to go to a high school offerring a French or Spanish immersian program?
Are you having social issues too? Point that out to them........say you want a better social life...Parents often don't understand how hard social issues can be for kids who are different or for kids who are doing cyber/homeschooling especially if you're in a rural area. You could point out that you'd have access to teachers who REALLY know about how to teach dhh kids...
Ask them if you wanted to do a Spanish language imemrsian school, if they would be worried about you losing your English skills.

Deaf/HOH supporter

Hi all!

My name is S.K. Whiteside. I am a Deaf/HOH supporter. Growing up I had a deaf best friend (who later moved away) she taught me to sign. I furthered what she taught me by taking classes in college. My sister was even inspired and is fluent in sign. I wanted to show my friend (wherever she is) that I still think about her and support her and the deaf community. As an author I decided to do so in a big way. In my upcoming book "Guardian of the Gate" I will be introducing a deaf character by the name of ECHO. It's a Paranormal Fantasy (think Underworld meets Harry Potter) and his character is that of a MIMIC.

A "MIMIC" is a character that can take on the appearance and powers of anyone else he/she comes in contact with (think a cross between mystique and rogue). I wanted to let you guys know and hope you guys like and support it. Please feel free to check out the character on my blog (via my website) Beyond the veil... - Home

~With love,
S.K.

Back