Help...laptop issues

Lissa

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can anybody help?? I have microsoft word on my computer but it says I need to do a file conversion, any idea how to make the document right itself and be in english rather than computer speak??

Can you give the exact message? There are a lot of things that could show up. Also, what version of Word do you have and what version was the original file saved in if you know.

Can anybody help?? I have microsoft word on my computer but it says I need to do a file conversion, any idea how to make the document right itself and be in english rather than computer speak??

Ahhh... What is the extension of the document?

usually when getting a conversion message might means your version is not new enough to open. which word version do you have? you can download veiwers for newer version on your pc for free from microsoft.

Otherwise it might be a file created from openoffice or simalar. you just need the convertor to read on your pc or install open office.

Before jumping to conclusion from above- get your word version. also do a right click to property of file you are trying to open and tell us the extension. its the 3 character after the dot of the file name you trying to open

usually when getting a conversion message might means your version is not new enough to open. which word version do you have? you can download veiwers for newer version on your pc for free from microsoft.

Otherwise it might be a file created from openoffice or simalar. you just need the convertor to read on your pc or install open office.

Before jumping to conclusion from above- get your word version. also do a right click to property of file you are trying to open and tell us the extension. its the 3 character after the dot of the file name you trying to open

Not only 3 characters, there are 4 as well... like .docx, if you have older version of MS Word and trying to open MS Office 2010 doc, you will have problem with it. So, there's a link that will help you find the right one:

Office Online File Converters and Viewers - Downloads - Office.com

I hope that help?

Yeah, that's true.

The most recent version of MS Office ends their extension names with X... DOCX, XLSX, PPTX, etc.

If someone using the recent version of MS Office saves a document and sends it to me, I will ask them to re-save it as an older version before sending it to me again.

Yeah, that's true.

The most recent version of MS Office ends their extension names with X... DOCX, XLSX, PPTX, etc.

If someone using the recent version of MS Office saves a document and sends it to me, I will ask them to re-save it as an older version before sending it to me again.

and they got in trouble for it and shut the kind version and move to new one that set the standard as doc instead docx. I find it dumb from M$

Back