Hello

Ashley93012

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Ashley. I'm 29 years old and I have 2 children. about 3 months ago, I lost my hearing suddenly and my Drs don't know why. I live in a very small town at the top of Maine. My community doesn't offer much for ASL or any kind of deaf help. I don't know what to do or where to turn. I have a 6 year old son that was born HoH and another son that is 9 years old that overcame cancer at 18 months. There is so much that has happened. I don't know what to do. Since my hearing loss, my relationship has suffered greatly, not because we aren't trying to deal with this together, but because it is a huge adjustment to make. My husband works and is afraid to leave me alone because I can't hear anything. We are making a small......very small......indent in learning some sign language. But upon further notice, we learned that we are not in fact learning just ASL, but we are also learning PSE. I don't even know what the difference is. Can someone please tell me that the silence isn't all there is left for me? It's hard not hearing my children say I love you, or my husband say my name. I feel alone when I am in a crowded room and it isn't fair. This isn't fair.

1. What does your Dr thinks of Cochlear Implants? Do you have hearing aids? Did you lose all hearing?
2. The are a lot of different flashing devices, check amazon or any other online stores.
3. What city in Maine you live? I see some resources for Deaf/HoH people there.

Hey everyone! My name is Ashley. I'm 29 years old and I have 2 children. about 3 months ago, I lost my hearing suddenly and my Drs don't know why. I live in a very small town at the top of Maine. My community doesn't offer much for ASL or any kind of deaf help. I don't know what to do or where to turn. I have a 6 year old son that was born HoH and another son that is 9 years old that overcame cancer at 18 months. There is so much that has happened. I don't know what to do. Since my hearing loss, my relationship has suffered greatly, not because we aren't trying to deal with this together, but because it is a huge adjustment to make. My husband works and is afraid to leave me alone because I can't hear anything. We are making a small......very small......indent in learning some sign language. But upon further notice, we learned that we are not in fact learning just ASL, but we are also learning PSE. I don't even know what the difference is. Can someone please tell me that the silence isn't all there is left for me? It's hard not hearing my children say I love you, or my husband say my name. I feel alone when I am in a crowded room and it isn't fair. This isn't fair.

I am sorry to hear that you are going through so many trials. I can try to help you learn the difference between ASL and PSE. ASL stands for American Sign Language. ASL is it's own language, so it has it's own syntax, grammar, word order and stuff. PSE stands for Pidgin Signed English. The term Pidgin means it is a mix of ASL and English. Not really a formal language. So PSE uses the signs from ASL for communication, but also uses English grammar, syntax and word order. You might want to look it up some more for a better understanding. I am struggling to find someone to teach me ASL, though I am learning PSE and I would be very happy to teach you some signs! My Skype name is Duckie, with the same profile picture on here. I am hearing. I could use a notepad to help explain some signs if you would like. Just remember that God loves you and everything will be okay in the end.

Welcome! I would look into getting evaluated for a CI as well. I think it could help you. One way you COULD get really good ASL instruction, since your son is HOH, is put it in his IEP. He can learn it from his itinerenant Teacher of the Deaf. Are you guys hooked up with the Outreach of Govenor Baxter School for the Deaf in Portland? https://mecdhh.org/governor-baxter-school-for-the-deaf Too bad you guys are so far away, as if you guys were in Portland, he could attend, learn ASL and then teach the whole family! I'm not sure if Gov Baxter has a summer program....and your son is probaly too young for that right now. But since your son is HOH, you can use that as a "lever" to get the whole family learning ASL!

Back