Hello, not sure where to being ...

mata311

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm Joe, I'm 42, divorced dad. Long story short my girlfriend is hearing impaired and we have decided to learn ASL together. She has NF2, and she partially lost her hearing in 2011 and it has been declining since then. We met this February. I just wanted to know what/how is the best way for us to do this. We are excited to be doing this together and I just need to be pointed in the right direction to start.

Welcome.
You are on the right path now. More or less.

Hello, and welcome! Check out:

lifeprint.com

Look over the many free lessons. It is a great resource for you to study ASL together.

Another resource, but it does not have lessons:

signingsavvy.com

I would use the first one.

I lost my hearing from Menieres Disease. I used lifeprint to learn much of my ASL. I do understand what it is like to have declining hearing.

Joe, I respect you wholeheartedly for taking this journey with your partner. I know of many hearing people who do not make the effort to learn to sign for their Deaf partner. For you to go out and do this, you get mad props from me.

Signed,
A fan. :)

Hey Joe. I started learning ASL a year ago. And here's been my experience. I started learning ASL through startASL.com. My experience with it was ok. The ASL 1 gives a good foundation and the ASL 2 was the same. The problem I had with it was when it got to ASL 3. It took a hyperleap in skill level from 2 to 3. To the point that I couldn't understand anything in the level 3 curriculum. During this time, I also took 2 ASL classes at my local community college. They were basic. Skill wise I was probably beyond the classes at that time I took then, but they were great for feedback and face to face signing practice. I also did all the lifeprint lessons in this time as well. I also signed up for an immersion weekend that I learned a great amount at. After a year I am essentially at an ASL 3 level, but there are no more educational opportunities for me in my area. Now I'm to a level that I feel comfortable having conversations in sign, so I go to ASL functions and Deaf Coffee and have a few Deaf friends. I typically study/practice 30-60 minutes a day a few days a week.

TL: DR - I took any opportunity to learn that I could get my hands on. Even the classes that were lower level for me, I still learned a lot. It's really hard to find classes/opportunities that are going to take you from beginner to fluency. At this point for me, if I want to take another class, I have to drive 2 hours for it. So grab everything you can and learn from anyone willing to teach.

TL: DR - I took any opportunity to learn that I could get my hands on. Even the classes that were lower level for me, I still learned a lot. It's really hard to find classes/opportunities that are going to take you from beginner to fluency. At this point for me, if I want to take another class, I have to drive 2 hours for it. So grab everything you can and learn from anyone willing to teach.

I LOVE it when people TL;DR :)

Hello, My daughter is deaf, but talks well so I relied on her speaking. So, I understand. I have a hard time reading deaf peoples signs.
My daugher in law is deaf as well. She doesn't speak at all. So its a challenge. I do know a lot of sign. I've been doing it since my daughter was one.
Also, looking for an apt for my daughter and her family. They want to move to Ogden nc. They have pets. Any ideas will help. Ty.

First, to the OP @mata311 (Joe), Welcome! And others in this thread.

For Dlueth, @Dlueth finding an apartment with pets is probably easier than you think. At least around my area (Minnesota) it is. If you go online to an apartment search site, like apartments.com for example, you can enter search criteria to find specific apartments that are in that area that allow pets.

Back