Hello...not sure what i am getting myself into here, ha!

No, I get it. I'm assuming you grew up under an Auditory-Verbal (without the therapy) philosophy...Basicly immersed into the hearing world with little/no specialized experiences and being the only dhh kid? Identiy and belonging is SO important. I don't get why they have stuff for kids with cancer, diabetes, ostomys etc, but dhh, blind/low vision kids etc are supposed to only experience mainstream, "normal" stuff and not even go to deaf camp or blind camp or know other kids just like them or learn Braille or learn ASL etc.You are not alone!

I agree, however I went to camp for deaf kids Aspen Camp in the mountains.

'the urge to heave your dinner?' what in the world are you talking about? LOL

Sorry. I made a joke that fell flat. Happens to me a lot in here. Lol
My story could be similar to yours, but what strikes me is that you were born deaf, while I was two and a half years old and already talking. I don't know how you do it, and my hat's off to you.
This time I will say a simple "welcome" and hope you enjoy your time here.

Thank you for responding...to be honest, growing up - I never really looked into alternative places like the camps you mentioned...the few that i knew of tended to blanket all disabilities under one umbrella and the level of their severity - was not relatable so I never participated in them. But I knew what it was like to be perceived and treated different...just never grasped why - i just wore hearing aids, but looking back I get it...I was different. Now, fast forwarding many years into the future...how do I embrace my difference and give back to others? But then again - maybe I need to learn more from others that I have never interacted with...maybe this type of forum will open my eyes to something new that I never personally experienced.
Oh yes. The Easter Seal type of camps. Those can be good for general disablities....Not so good for DHH....Wish someone had told you about deaf camps or schools or something for an additional experience....But you're among friends who experienced the same things you did!

Sorry. I made a joke that fell flat. Happens to me a lot in here. Lol
My story could be similar to yours, but what strikes me is that you were born deaf, while I was two and a half years old and already talking. I don't know how you do it, and my hat's off to you.
This time I will say a simple "welcome" and hope you enjoy your time here.

Not sure if I understand what the 'hats off to you' refers to, LOL...but to clarify...i was born with a hearing loss...wasn't til 4 or 5 my parents learned that i could not hear...my parents and the docs just thought i was extremely quiet and just wouldn't respond...on the flipside, it allowed me to become a good artist...if you want to chat more - feel free to message me directly...thank you

Oh yes. The Easter Seal type of camps. Those can be good for general disablities....Not so good for DHH....Wish someone had told you about deaf camps or schools or something for an additional experience....But you're among friends who experienced the same things you did!

hello again...be cool to learn more about you...feel free to message me directly so the world doesn't read this conversation, ha

Back