Hello! newby here.

TerryB

Reaction score
My name is Terry. I have what is categorized as severe hearing loss. I am not deaf but I can relate to "isolation" from the hearing world. Not long ago I had a stapedectomy which helped tremendously. I now can hear conversation in most settings with the help of hearing aids. I have decided to learn to sign as a second language and implement that with my business and mission work & any where else I can be useful. That being said, what would be some suggested resources for learning sign language? I'm located in the Cleveland/Chattanooga TN area.
Many Thanks!

Hi Terry, I'm also new here. I'm losing my hearing at a fairly rapid rate and I've decided to be proactive and learn ASL for when my hearing aids no longer help. I'm retiring this year which is three years early simply I can't hear the kids anymore ( I'm a high school teacher). I'm taking an online course which seems quite comprehensive to me. I already know a ton of signs and can understand simple conversations. I'm going to attend some deaf events as soon as I can locate some. The website is startasl.com
They have a tutorial site too where you can practice signing with the tutor. These classes are free and pay classes. I'm doing the free one first for the basics and then I'll move on to the paid one if I need to. Hope this helps.

Thank You Sue!

I see so many "resources" (online but not locally) and really do not know where to start. I have talked for some years now about learning a second language and with my own hearing problems which seem to be worsening it does seem a logical choice. Statistically speaking, in my county alone there would be nearly 300 deaf. I know we live in a world designed for the hearing and many folks do not understand some of the challenges hearing impaired individuals face daily. I'm not sure how useful signing would ultimately be in my business of real estate sales but if ever I could help to bridge that gap for others it would surely be a good thing!- Going to check out StartASL.com now.

You might want to touch base with the Interpreter Training department at what used to be Tennessee Temple University, now Piedmont International University. They might be able to help you.

http://www.piedmontu.edu/sl-sign-language-interpreting-courses-description-page

Ferrell, Ms. Becky
Sign Language Interpreting
Office: Off Campus
ferrellb@piedmontu.edu

IMAGE-NEEDED.jpg

Godfrey, Dr. Lisa
godfreyl@piedmontu.edu

Manning, Mrs. Carol

manningc@piedmontu.edu

Monroe, Mrs. Stephanie

Sign Language Professor
monroes@piedmontu.edu

Also, check Chattanooga Deaf (events, chat, socials, etc.) on Facebook. That's how they keep in touch in my area.

Also, check Chattanooga Deaf (events, chat, socials, etc.) on Facebook. That's how they keep in touch in my area.
Thanks for these ideas._ I did indeed find a group on Facebook!

I'm also doing the startasl.com program. It's working for now, but there will come a point where I'll need to start making more face to face friendships. I'm also taking an ASL class at a local community college. That might be a place to look as well. If you have a community college available to you. The class I'm taking is a non-credit class. So you don't actually have to be enrolled at the school to take the class.

Back