Hello, New Member Here With A Question About The Site

shefft

Reaction score
Hi all, engineer here coming at you from the great state of New Mexico. I wonder if you could help me find the right place for a post I'd like to make - I'll explain.

I'm hearing, but I like to develop products that help improve quality of life for all people. I'm working on a device that my deaf colleagues are really excited about, and we're hoping to crowd-fund it and get it developed so they can put it to use.

Where would you users say is the best place to talk about the development of new assistive technologies, and get feedback about designs and features? What about promoting new products that are relevant specifically to the deaf community? Is the technology page of this site a reasonable place for this kind of thing?

I'm asking first before coming on here to promote something. I don't want to spam the good folks here at alldeaf, but of course I'll freely admit, yes we are trying to market this device and build up a base of early adopters. We hope to then create better and more feature-rich versions, so we are seeking feedback on what the deaf community would like to see.

Thanks for reading, and for any guidance you can offer!!

How can we offer guidance without knowing what it is?

Plus if you are marketing, you really should pay to advertise here.

Hi!
The device is a personal computer-connected motion detector with some range, that sends a pop-up to the screen to notify that someone is behind you to prevent being startled. It also has an overlay to work on top of full-screen applications like games. Intended for frequent home/office computer users. If you are interested, I'm happy to send you the link to our site, etc, for more information.

The advertising discussion is of course real and understood, and as money is freed up may certainly be used by us as you suggest. That being said, advertising alone will not provide the community engagement and discussion on features and use cases that we are hoping for. Any ideas where a good place would be to get those kinds of discussions going, if not here? Thanks!

We get so many of these product-development posts. Please scour through past posts to see what everyone has said. Basically just about anything we want is already out there.

We get so many of these product-development posts. Please scour through past posts to see what everyone has said. Basically just about anything we want is already out there.

Thanks for the reply, never imagined that people were so burnt out by this kind of thing. I understand that. Now, I'm also a hopeless optimist I suppose, thinking that there's still new and grand stuff to be discovered and created in this crazy world we live in. So I'm just stumbling around, looking for others who love gadgets like me and like to talk about them. I fully realize I may not find that here at alldeaf necessarily, just hoping to find where that is, because I believe there are tech-lovers out there somewhere...

Hi!
The device is a personal computer-connected motion detector with some range, that sends a pop-up to the screen to notify that someone is behind you to prevent being startled. It also has an overlay to work on top of full-screen applications like games. Intended for frequent home/office computer users. If you are interested, I'm happy to send you the link to our site, etc, for more information.!

we do just fine with being startled...we dont need to be plugged in more..thank you.

Hi!
The advertising discussion is of course real and understood, and as money is freed up may certainly be used by us as you suggest. That being said, advertising alone will not provide the community engagement and discussion on features and use cases that we are hoping for. Any ideas where a good place would be to get those kinds of discussions going, if not here? Thanks!

good luck

I meant no offense to you. Here's a suggestion. Go to a website like Harris Communications and either browse their online catalog or request an actual mailed one. See what is out there and if you think of something you don't see, come back and ask. I mean no disrespect. I honestly can't think of anything I need that I don't already have. And I think most deaf feel the same.

well having thought a bout it...
can you design and create a tazer add on for my cell phone...
sometimes...
many times....
i just want to shoot someone....

beside that
im preety good

I use a mirror from a baby store and clip it to my monitor to catch movement behind me. Not perfect, as I can be concentrating on the screen and not even catch the movement in the mirror. It's better than what you propose because when I work in a cubicle environment, if I hear talking behind me I can look up in the mirror to see if its directed at me.

I meant no offense to you. Here's a suggestion. Go to a website like Harris Communications and either browse their online catalog or request an actual mailed one. See what is out there and if you think of something you don't see, come back and ask. I mean no disrespect. I honestly can't think of anything I need that I don't already have. And I think most deaf feel the same.

Cool website! Thanks for the suggestion.

I use a mirror from a baby store and clip it to my monitor to catch movement behind me. Not perfect, as I can be concentrating on the screen and not even catch the movement in the mirror. It's better than what you propose because when I work in a cubicle environment, if I hear talking behind me I can look up in the mirror to see if its directed at me.

Appreciate you sharing this, thank you. I'll just leave one brief thought with you, since you stopped by - in engineering we learn about the concept of trade-offs in design. It's common to have to weigh the pros and cons of different approaches, and this is a good example. The mirror is certainly cheaper and simpler to use, and provides that visual capture. There are other ways in which our Sentry shines besides the one you point out, such as adjustable sensitivity, immunity to ambient light level, easier to position for use around corners/walls, virtual reality situations, and others.

Thanks for bringing up an interesting talking point!

Appreciate you sharing this, thank you. I'll just leave one brief thought with you, since you stopped by - in engineering we learn about the concept of trade-offs in design. It's common to have to weigh the pros and cons of different approaches, and this is a good example. The mirror is certainly cheaper and simpler to use, and provides that visual capture. There are other ways in which our Sentry shines besides the one you point out, such as adjustable sensitivity, immunity to ambient light level, easier to position for use around corners/walls, virtual reality situations, and others.

Thanks for bringing up an interesting talking point!

wow
does it make your hair stand up like don kings?
thata be badass!!

if i put one on, my nose would stick straight up, pushin my shades off....phew

we do just fine with being startled...we dont need to be plugged in more..thank you.

Maybe YOU like being startled.. I sure as shit don't; please don't speak for everybody. but yeah.. haha. I'd prefer to be 'plugged' in to computer tech than deal with people in general with the exception of a small group.

us Deaf, have whats termed the Deafie sense anyway.

Maybe so but not all Deafies have that either- maybe varying degrees.... And if I did it's not 100% accurate as I'm the kind of person who can be so focused/involved in something it will take me 5 minutes to realize somebody is there (trust me on that- dad can tell you).

As a "deaf-blind" (hard to 'classify' me I guess....?) it's a tad harder to know/realize somebody is behind me. I think I tried a mirror before- got a freebie thingie from my last client site- didn't work most of the time because I'm one who tends to 'zero in' on things and completely forget everything else around me (that and have my music going). So something like a 'motion detector' desktop pc popup or flashing alert would be interesting.

Maybe YOU like being startled.. I sure as shit don't; please don't speak for everybody. but yeah.. haha. I'd prefer to be 'plugged' in to computer tech than deal with people in general with the exception of a small group.

i only sign for myself...and who ever...is in my head at the time...(eye balls booth ways twice.)

i was (drags joint) trying to be sarcastic....
i failed
it was an attempt at sarcasm...but since we are chatting about it , i thought i was unique,,,there are other Deafies who have this Deafie sense...i just assumed it was because i see dead people..

(drags joint, wiggles toes)

Maybe so but not all Deafies have that either- maybe varying degrees.... And if I did it's not 100% accurate as I'm the kind of person who can be so focused/involved in something it will take me 5 minutes to realize somebody is there (trust me on that- dad can tell you). .

no kiddin..
i can get pretty focused too..(peaks out window)

As a "deaf-blind" (hard to 'classify' me I guess....?) it's a tad harder to know/realize somebody is behind me. I think I tried a mirror before- got a freebie thingie from my last client site- didn't work most of the time because I'm one who tends to 'zero in' on things and completely forget everything else around me (that and have my music going). So something like a 'motion detector' desktop pc popup or flashing alert would be interesting.

its a dangerous trade to be in..any feild and trade craft, anything to aid your survival, lest someone sneaks up and does you in..
its a

(drags joint)

(finger to chin)
uh
whats this thread about...oh..
i knew a guy with spidey sense once...
back in the day...he climbed walls right in front of me...
crazy
never could explain it...a mexican too.
mmm

Maybe so but not all Deafies have that either- maybe varying degrees.... And if I did it's not 100% accurate as I'm the kind of person who can be so focused/involved in something it will take me 5 minutes to realize somebody is there (trust me on that- dad can tell you).

Hi, thanks for the thoughts. It can be extremely hard to notice what's happening in a mirror off to the side when really focused on something on-screen, I definitely have noticed that personally as well. I sent you a conversation-starting message, would love to hear more from you.

Thanks!

Back