Hello, looking for info

Uncanny

Reaction score
Hi - I'm looking for some info. This might be a little left field.
I am a hearing person, but am also low-verbal autistic and have a speech disorder. So speaking isn't exactly my favourite thing in life. Recently, I've decided to make the effort to go back to being as completely nonverbal as I can. This involves learning sign language properly, ACC apps, and a lot of lifestyle reordering.
From what little I have learned so far I love signing, it's so natural and comfortable for me, whereas speaking is a huge effort.
I'm even tailoring my job goals around this, and am curious about what kinds of jobs and career fields deaf people who communicate via a visual language are successful in. Though I am hearing, if communicating via sign and written forms only, the job hurdles may be similar.
So, what jobs and career fields are possible being nonverbal and using sign? What do people in the deaf community encounter around this issue?
I can find no information from autism advocacy organisations, even though some autistic people are even more nonverbal than I am (I can physically speak, it's just awful to do so).
Info anyone? Directions to point me in?
Thanks!

Uncanny. That is an interesting challenge you present and I think you will benefit most from your own unique approach. Since you can hear, you present the advantage of being able to understand coworkers. Any job that allows you to communicate either in sign or with the written word would work. Customer service is out ;) but the range of things you could do successfully is so broad you really should start where everyone else starts: What do you like to do? What are your talents? computers? math? language? any technical interests?

Back