Hello! im new to both being deaf and this website.

Gump

Reaction score
Here is a little bit about me: So for about a month now ive been deaf. I was hard of hearing before (mild), but one day i woke up profoundly deaf. My doctors don't know how this happened and its baffling all of them. Fortunately for me, this is the best time in my entire life that this could've happened. Im currently a junior in high school and i started taking asl class this year. On top of that, i already started considering going to either Galluadet or NTID to continue learning asl. Most of my friends know ASL and my school has the most deaf students in our county. I really couldn't have gotten a better situation to suddenly go deaf. Im not really looking for a fix though, i feel like ive never been happier. Cochlear implants have been offered a lot, and i don't blame people for getting them. i think its great what they can do, but personally, the idea really scares me. im trying really hard to learn asl as fast as i can so that i can start communicating again. Which is why i joined this website. Im looking for a place to go to with questions about this entirely new world that i just fell into. If i posted any of this in the wrong place or wrong way, sorry.

Welcome! I'm hearing, but learning as well for a couple reasons. Glad to have you here, if I can help at all I'll try.

Mostly I'm posting because, I like your background. I'm happy for you, that you found a place you're happy in. Not everyone can say that. :) Good luck in your learning! <3

Here is a little bit about me: So for about a month now ive been deaf. I was hard of hearing before (mild), but one day i woke up profoundly deaf. My doctors don't know how this happened and its baffling all of them. Fortunately for me, this is the best time in my entire life that this could've happened. Im currently a junior in high school and i started taking asl class this year. On top of that, i already started considering going to either Galluadet or NTID to continue learning asl. Most of my friends know ASL and my school has the most deaf students in our county. I really couldn't have gotten a better situation to suddenly go deaf. Im not really looking for a fix though, i feel like ive never been happier. Cochlear implants have been offered a lot, and i don't blame people for getting them. i think its great what they can do, but personally, the idea really scares me. im trying really hard to learn asl as fast as i can so that i can start communicating again. Which is why i joined this website. Im looking for a place to go to with questions about this entirely new world that i just fell into. If i posted any of this in the wrong place or wrong way, sorry.
Gump how cool is it that you have those pieces of the puzzle?.... Is your school one of those regional dhh programs? Maybe get to know the other kids who sign....get an IEP to continue learning ASL, ask about taking advantage of any deaf ed interventions. Would you want to spend a semester at your state's Deaf School or MSSD in DC? http://www3.gallaudet.edu/mssd.html I mean I know you like your current school but that could be a possibilty, especially if you want to become fluent in ASL. Another idea is to go to Deaf Camp....there's ALL kinds from state school based to Christian, to sports to traditional! http://www3.gallaudet.edu/clerc-cen...l-resources-and-directories/summer-camps.html

Hello Gump! Welcome to the alldeaf.com! Thank you for sharing your story and I’m glad that you are happy with who you are. You are at the right place.

I understand that you want to learn more ASL. You are in a right place and right timing because you have your deaf friends and you guys are communicating in ASL at your own pace. Deafdyke is right about different options of learning more ASL. I used to go to a deaf camp and that was a lot of fun! I have good memories. Another option is check out a deaf church. That’s if you are interested in it and I can help you connect to one. This is a good place to learn reception and practicing ASL. Different families with deaf children and deaf adults and youths. We had several friends that comes in and practice their ASL and that does help!

Let me know if there is anything that I could help you with.

God’s blessings!

Back