Hello from an old friend

DeafNerdMommy

Reaction score
Hello,
I was am AD member that has fallen of the face of the planet. After some star searching i have found my way back.
For people who dont know me, i am a mother of 4 small children. I have profound hearing loss. My wife is also hard of hearing. We speak asl (mostly psl), english, irish, and Japanese in our house. I was born into a hearing family and started lossing my hearing when I was 7. I was born with sealed e tubes and needed tubes. After 3 sets, two permanent sets, my ear drums are to scarred. My ear drums are sucked back due to the pressure. We are waiting for them to burst or to snap the bones.
I wear oticon opn hearing aids at full settings.
I also found out last year that i am type one bipolar with schizoaffective disorder. So my meds have wiped out some vision in my left eye. Its been an adjustment for me.
We also found out my 5 year old is hard of sight but she might also have hearing loss.
Anyways that is me :)

I think it went through a period of tooo aggressive banning and a bunch that did not like those people being banned then turned around and left themselves.

Welcome back!! So your five year old is low vision? Contact your state's School for the Blind, and give her everything.....and if it turns out she is HOH, she'll have all the tools available to her! Yes, this place is DEAD....missing the old days when it was wicked active. I'm still here thou!

Welcome back!! So your five year old is low vision? Contact your state's School for the Blind, and give her everything.....and if it turns out she is HOH, she'll have all the tools available to her! Yes, this place is DEAD....missing the old days when it was wicked active. I'm still here thou!
The oregon school for the blind is at the Deaf school haha. Bad design but good for kids that are both.

The oregon school for the blind is at the Deaf school haha. Bad design but good for kids that are both.
Oh yeah, I forgot that you were in Oregon, and it's mostly just outreach right? No formal classes any more. I'm wondering if you could take advantage of Washington School for the Blind's resources. I just checked and their school is only for 6th through 12th graders. Too bad as I was thinking maybe she could do some short term courses. . Maybe also contact a local Blind Association? I know that most kids classified as blind are actually blind plus/way more complex then "just blind" or even blind mild ID. That does suck for the blind/low vision kids who are more academic, but it also means that if there was a blind school locally, the classes might not be appropreate. Although I do remember from a VERY old member that there's a debate about blind schools for blind kids too. I do think that looking into a Blind Association might be helpful, so she could learn Braille, get intense O&M, know other blind/low vision kids etc.... There are also blind camps which may be very helpful. https://brailleworks.com/summer-camps-for-the-blind-and-visually-impaired/ http://www.perkinselearning.org/scout/topics/camps

Back