Hello everyone

iGotHoney

I am 19 and currently going to college to become an elementary school teacher but earning my certificate in sign language so I can teach for deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing students! Not many schools offer this but it’s perfect for me! I’m curious to see if I can make friends on here so I can maybe FaceTime and communicate to help me better my ASL. I’m a very bright, bubbly, silly person and a bit shy but mostly out going. You can reach me through here or any of my social media’s!
Instagram: ambssy_
Twitter: @lillatinaqueen
Snapchat: ambziee90

Bayberrybae

Hi! I’m Sarah. I’m 18 and in college, and I’m hard of hearing. My hearing has been getting worse and worse. I’ve been signing for years, and I would love to befriend you and teach you more ASL! :))

Jamman

Hi. What a fantastic career choice. Have you considered teaching lip reading? I thought about learning sign language but decided that unless I was around people that could also sign then it might not benefit me. Lip reading however would be something of great use and maybe people might even be unaware of my hearing troubles if I could do it well. I find myself trying but I would love to learn it properly. I wish you every bit of success in your chosen field.

DOD

Hi. What a fantastic career choice. Have you considered teaching lip reading? I thought about learning sign language but decided that unless I was around people that could also sign then it might not benefit me. Lip reading however would be something of great use and maybe people might even be unaware of my hearing troubles if I could do it well. I find myself trying but I would love to learn it properly. I wish you every bit of success in your chosen field.
Jamman, Lip reading is extremely difficult. Most lip readers only pickup about 80% of the words spoken and are left to decipher what is being said from context. Try it yourself. Turn down the volume on your TV while watching the news and see if you can follow along. Now imagine you are trying to lipread someone with a beard or that does not annunciate or is not facing you exactly. Or imagine keeping up in a conversation with many people.

Leoking

Hi recently I've been very interested in learning ASL or other sign language and I'm also very keen to get to know people from this community. How can I do that properly?