Hello Everyone!

Reaction score
Nice to meet you all! I'm Elliot (or Eli), and while I'm neither HoH nor Deaf, I have a processing disorder that makes it difficult for me to understand spoken words. My mother used to be an interpreter for the Ren Faire (ironic, as my dad JUST discovered that he's been HoH for over half his lifetime as he used to DJ), and brought me up to love ASL as a language and its part in Deaf culture. While I don't know many Deaf/HoH people personally, I hope to change that and some day perhaps interpret for the Deaf myself!

I'm currently in college, unsure 100% of what I'd really like to do. I'm currently taking ASL 1 over a second time at a different college, as I couldn't transfer my units, and I'm really glad I did! My current instructor is absolutely amazing. Definitely looking for people to practice with!

About my processing disorder: When I get stressed out, my brain loses the ability to process spoken English (as that's the only verbalized language I really understand), and if there's any background noise at all -- my brain doesn't know how to differentiate between important and unimportant sounds. This results in my often being completely unable to understand or participate in the conversations of the people around me. There isn't actually anything wrong with my hearing, and in fact I test almost perfectly across every range, as such I don't 'count' as someone who's actually Hard of Hearing.

Fun Fact: I love music, and used it as a kid to learn to differentiate better between sounds so I could better understand when people spoke day-to-day. I would transcribe lyrics as songs played over and over and over until I could get all the words right, and I still laugh about the completely incorrect lyrics my brain somehow managed to come up with before I got it right! (Chop Suey was a particularly hard one...)

Last edited:
:)welcome Personathief/Eli
You have CAPD? I'm hoh and possibly also with CAPD-

Welcome :) I have capd and it can be difficult. The deaf school on oregon considers it as hearing lose but disability doesn't.

Hey PersonaThief, Welcome to Alldeaf.

Thank you, and hello!

Thank you. c:

:)welcome Personathief/Eli
You have CAPD? I'm hoh and possibly also with CAPD-

I do! Eugh, it's terrible. I wish you the best of luck!

Hello!

Welcome to AD!

Thank you!

:3 Thank you.

Welcome :) I have capd and it can be difficult. The deaf school on oregon considers it as hearing lose but disability doesn't.

I can understand why, on both fronts. Makes things difficult, though. Best of luck, and thank you!

Back