Hello Again :)

AandEMomma

Reaction score
Hello Everyone I have been absent from yall for a while I figured maybe new members Came so I figured I would reintroduce myself. My name is Sara I am HoH I have a bilateral loss I was born being HoH. I have 2 kiddies both HoH as well. I am learning ASL to communicate with my son he hears with hearing aides but stopped talking when he started school However he is learning to talk but this is recent so before then we taught him ASL and placed him in Maryland School for the Deaf . My daughter talks and communicates fine but she also goes to MSD both are doing great. I am a stay at home and I just started selling Jewelry in Candles. Awesome company by the way. If you haven't heard of it go check it out Sara O'Dea's Store - Pasadena Maryland | Jewelry In Candles - Vivid colors & Bold scents, our scented products are fun and the highest quality you will find. Try JIC Today! Jewelry-In-Candles Anyway I'm looking to move out of Maryland, I came here 3 years ago from West Virginia due to the fact we lived too far from the school in Romney and we couldn't afford to move so my mom offered us to live with her til we could get on our feet needless to say it has been HELL. My hearing aides broke (dog ate them) I cannot afford to buy new ones and insurance of course doesn't cover which is ridiculous. I lost my nursing license because I owed MVA money for some bills i fell back on well they stopped me from being able to get that renewed it just has been PURE HELL in this state and soo expensive.So tell me about you?? How are you doing?? :ty::wave:

Welcome back! There's been a HUGE exodus in the past few years....there are still some old posters around! Glad your kids are still at MSD....that's a really good Deaf School! Are you gonna try to move to a cheaper state with a decent Deaf School?
Things are still the same........

@deafdyke yes i want to move back to West Virginia but closer to that school times have been so tight living back in Maryland and I am having so many issues with the school its not even funny

@deafdyke yes i want to move back to West Virginia but closer to that school times have been so tight living back in Maryland and I am having so many issues with the school its not even funny

REALLY? I thought MSD was one of the good Deaf Schools? Yay for moving back to WV.....and YAY for moving closer to the school. One good thing about having to wait to move back, is that they're in the process of revamping the school......So it should be good by the time you move back! Right now it's TC, but they're hoping to change it to bi-bi.. I think too that WVSDB is one of those schools that does have a significant number of academic track kids. I remember reading their newsletter, and kids were attending competive STATE COLLEGES.....so that's good news! That means that although the entire class didn't go to college, there's still the POTENTIAL,and the tools for your kids to do well there. When are you hoping to move to WV? How close are you hoping to move?

I thought so too and infact I had no issues with the Fredrick Campus. But when we moved back to MD we moved closer to the Columbia Campus. Before I tell you what had happened im going to need to give you a few details. When we finally got out of my mom's (where we moved when we left WV) we found a place in Baltimore City (near the county lines) well anyway we come to find that the apartment was infested with Bed Bugs it took 4 months for our landlord to even treat for the problem and several treatments before they were pretty much gone but never completely gone

Well anyway I thought I was being curtious to the families of the students that went to my kids school by telling the school what the issue was and that we were being treated but i know those little buggers like to travel and they are so small sometimes your not going to see them. So I told the school. Well after that the school would pull both of my kids to the Health-room Everyday examine their entire body and change their cloths ... so i called them and said "look ya'll are not doctors you can not "check them" everyday" I told them that it was inappropriate and not necessary i didn't mind about the cloths part cuz they would just dry the ones that had on and do a switch out after they dried, it was basically a precaution as far as the cloths. Well after the bugs pretty much went away I had told the school that the problem was gone. The nurse's continued to do skin assessments of my kids i guess to check for new bites i dont know but it was not asked for. well after that it was pretty much anything and everything my kids were in the health-room for they were giving my son medicine everyday that he did not need and only had a prescription of it in school for emergency purposes (he has a nebulizor because alot of times when he is sick he cant breathe) If my child needed the meds he wouldnt go to school that day, I'm not a mom to send my sick kids to school. Well after being in the health-room all last school year when the new school year started I went in to update the yearly paperwork and seen there was a new nursing supervisor so to get off on the right foot i had a conversation with her about my son and his meds and told her NOT to give it to him unless it was needed. Well as far as meds this school year has been good. But, my kids were still going to the healthroom everyday for stupid stuff like if Austin had a sore he got from playing out side at home they would be checking on it if my daughter (which is potty training) wet her pants they would give her showers and wash her entire body including hair.... well i wasnt going for that... I am sorry that is inappropriate its like they harass me so bad at that damn school I have had Child Protective Services at my house at least 4 times since I have been back in Maryland apperently the last time was for child abuse?!?!? they claimed my son had red marks on his bottom a cop had came to my home at 730-8pm with the social worker and told me this so i got my son pulled his pants to show no red mark the police still wanted to talk to him and since he is communicating with ASL of course im sorry I know the deaf rights ... I told him that he could not talk to my son without an interpreter so they took him to Johns Hopkins University and did an evaluation to make sure he wasnt being abused and so an interpreter could interprete for him.

I am so sick of being in Maryland I feel like if i stay here I am not going to have my kids the school LIES about alot of things i guess cuz i am a young mom to two special needs kids. I honestly think as far as Austin goes that they dont want to deal with his behavior and thats why hes always in the health-room. I dont know i do know i have told them recently that if my kids receive one more shower at school im taking my case to a lawyer and the police .. Since my meeting they haven't been to the health-room other than 3 times since February for things that needed to be addressed not ridiculous things they also had placed a policy that the students that are not residential students at the school are not to receive a shower by staff unless parents approve and now two people are to be in the room at all times (yea they couldn't tell me who was in the shower with my kids or who gave the shower meaning washing down since my kids do that on their own at home and my kids had told me that the nurse had cleaned them) . Its been HELL

I gotta run i will fill the rest in later i promise

Ok sorry about that some things came up.....

Anyway.... The school for the Deaf is in Romney so I would like to get as close to Romney as possible without living in Romney because I like the country life and I believe that Romney is more city ...One thing I did want to ask because its a new term to me is what is a bi bi school? Im thinking along the lines because its a school for deaf and blind.... Should that worry me that its for both? I know MSD is only deaf and there is a Blind school in Md as well..What is TC? And we are hoping to be out there as soon as possible were suffering so bad right now and we were ok in WV financially ..

Yes I did apply for this one recently I'm still in the middle of the application my doctor is booked until summer time and my audiologist doesn't work through them so I'm looking for an audiologist that does but that application is being worked on thank you

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

you're welcome! (maybe google around and maybe make a network with people like all us!!! :D some of us may live in same town as you.)

I'm actually waiting to hear back from the lions club and the hear now program just wish me luck it's been a while since I've had the proper hearing aids

Ok sorry about that some things came up.....

Anyway.... The school for the Deaf is in Romney so I would like to get as close to Romney as possible without living in Romney because I like the country life and I believe that Romney is more city ...One thing I did want to ask because its a new term to me is what is a bi bi school? Im thinking along the lines because its a school for deaf and blind.... Should that worry me that its for both? I know MSD is only deaf and there is a Blind school in Md as well..What is TC? And we are hoping to be out there as soon as possible were suffering so bad right now and we were ok in WV financially ..

I thought that Romney was a small town? A bi-bi school is a bilingual bicultural school....it's using ASL as the method of instruction, and approaching English as a Second Language. It's the philosopy used at MSD. When there is a deaf and blind school, the instruction with both is separate.
Sometimes there's kids who are taught in both schools (ie Usher's Syndrome deaf-blind kids, or deaf kids who are multihandicapped but too high functioning for severe disability programs but not high functioning enough for mild multihandicapped programming) but, generally the classes for the deaf and blind are separate. Almost all kids at blind schools are multihandicapped (some severe). There are some "just blind" kids at blind schools, but that's kinda rare. Whereas with Deaf schools you get more of a mix of functioning levels, and it's also more academic. I know that the D&B school has a multihandicapped program for both deaf and blind kids with more intense issues. That's a good sign...means they don't lump all the kids into one group.
Total communication is Total Communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's what was used in the Deaf Schools in the '70's and 80's.

Does Austin have ADD-ish behavorial issues? You might want to check into a school that has a deaf behavorial program......There are some schools like that out there.....Trouble is I don't know if they're for ADD types of kids, or more serious behavioral problems.....I would have thought that MSD would have had a formal behavioral program for kids who needed it, since it's fairly large. Is your heart set on WV? There are other schools out there......Just throwing out some ideas.

I chose wv because it's not too far and we liked it out there. Austin has a global learning delay, and a list of disabilities that are not determined yet due to lack of communication basically I have to get him back in Kennedy kreiger ( place in Baltimore that tests for autism and multiple disabilities along those lines) he is in an enhanced services program but honestly after sitting in his class I think if he had the mix of disabled and non disabled kids he would be ok the kids he learns with disabilities are so far off than where he is I'm kinda thinking that if idk a nice way to place this without sounding like a cold hearted mean person lol but if he learned with more normal kids I wonder where it would take him since he's learned asl he's able to tell us more he doesn't act out as much sometime though he does and that's where my mixed feeling is but I kinda want him exposed to children that behave more on the "normal " level to see if he will follow I guess you would say. I am not familiar with the Romney area I was just looking on google to learn more I wasn't aware of other deaf schools either where do I find information out about that? My heart isn't really set I just know that when I move I don't want to move again for a long time so it has to be affordable currently in md your paying close to $1300 for a 2br house plus you pay your own utilities it's just expensive and I know wherever it is I'm not willing to get rid of my pets (2dogs and 1cat) I'm not doing that to my kids lol

Oh one more thing I'm more looking for an asl friendly school for Austin I'm not placing him somewhere he is going to be learning away from other kids and not be able to communicate (the whole reason why I moved back to md) he needs peers to learn from I don't want him to be the only one to use asl in school that would suck!

Back