Tinny

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just found and joined this site, and want to introduce myself.

I am a woman in my 50s, living n NYC. I can hear, though I do have pretty severe tinnitus in my right ear. The "ringing" started mysteriously out of the blue, is always there, and has been for about 20 years. Last time I was tested (a number of years ago), my hearing loss in that ear was at about 60%. I can hear noise out of that ear but it is very muffled and distorted. If someone whispers to me in that ear, I have no idea what they're saying, and I cannot use a phone nor headphones on that side.

My left ear is fully hearing, so I am always positioning myself in a crowd, classroom, event, or at a table with my left ear toward the source of conversation or music. People who know me get used to standing or walking on my "good side," as they call it.

I'd wanted to learn sign language ever since I was a teenager. I didn't know anyone who was deaf, but I always thought it would be useful and cool to be able to communicate with as many people as possible. I bought a book at some point, to learn the basics, but never wound up taking classes. I am always saddened when I cannot communicate with someone. So I think I will try to learn signing again.

So, enough about me. I joined here because of a possibly strange reason.

I have lived in my apartment for a long time and have had roommates in the past. Then I got married and my husband lived here with me. We got divorced and now I'm living here on my own again and thinking of sharing my apartment once more. Yes, even people at my old age have roommates in NYC, because living here is so expensive and rents are sky-high. I would be renting out a room and there would be some shared living space.

HOWEVER, people these days seem to expect a lot and things have changed in my neighborhood and building since I moved in a long time ago. The noise level on my street has increased, for a few reasons, and a dog daycare center moved next door. That means there is barking all day long and it is extremely annoying for a hearing person. Also, the walls are thin in this building, so I can hear my neighbors' music, babies crying, and more. So, it's not the greatest situation for someone who would be bothered by noise.

So, I thought maybe a deaf or hard-of-hearing person would be fine with it. I'm not looking to exploit anyone, and I don't mean to offend anyone if I have, but I am just thinking that maybe there is someone out there who would love to live in a great neighborhood and not be affected by all the noise here. Perhaps I should look for a roommate in the deaf community - but how and where in NYC would I look? And should I learn sign language first? I'm not sure I can wait that long.

What do you all think of this idea? Honest feedback and suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. Google "Deaf NYC News" I don't know if they are willing to post roommate ads anymore.

Back