Heather Whitestone

Emerica

Reaction score
When in 1994 Heather Whitestone became the first deaf woman to be crowned Miss America, do you support Heather whitemore's issue about cochlea implant?

Sure why wouldn't I?...It was her choice on getting a CI and she is old enough to make that choice....It's not my place to decide whether or not that I support her...The only way I can support her is seeing that she is happy with her choice and doing good from it...

She's an adult -- she's over 18, so no one can't tell her what to do with her own life.

I don't see why you need to not support her. It's her problem and her life. Should you deny someone lasik? I am sorry, but I think that hearing loss provide problems, so if we can make it better in whatever way, do it.

oh well it her decide.. i cant do anything... reason why she wanna do that cuz of her son fell, she cant hear his voice cried and scream... that why... so she decided wanna hear from his son first voice and it help her.. i guess. if she is happy then i will happy for her.. i met her in person at my old school while she was visitor us and showed how she was good with ballet...

Her decision doesnt affects me...its her life...she made the right choices for herself and it wasnt selfish for her wanting to protect her kids...

Im getting one myself...so its bez I cant handle lose all of my 100% hearing in my right hearing!

It doesnt mean that Im not proud of being deaf....I am proud of being deaf!

Should you deny someone lasik?
There's a diffy between Lasik and getting a CI. Majority of time with Lasik you don't need an assitive device to see...it's something that gets rid of the problem permanantly, whereas you always need CI to be able to "hear".
she made the right choices for herself
Yes, she was unaidable in the ear that she got implanted in. Nothing wrong with getting an implant in that case. Hearing aids wouldn't help at all...even the very powerful body aids probaly wouldn't help.

coloravalanche said:
It doesnt mean that Im not proud of being deaf....I am proud of being deaf!

Confuse~~~~> did you make a choice being deaf? :cry:

Why wouldn't I support her decision of getting a CI? It is her life and She can do whatever she wants with herself. :thumb:

Emerica said:
Confuse~~~~> did you make a choice being deaf? :cry:

Emerica.. why are you confused/cry about
"proud being deaf" or "choice being deaf" ?

i think this is no big deal being deaf. I think
this phrase "proud being deaf" is something
similar to "LOVE being deaf" or "getting used
to be deaf"

since i am so used to being deaf, suppose
if i can hear any kind of sounds then
i would go insane !!! Same thing with
hearing people, suppose if they became Deaf
then they would go insane !!! only because
they're so used to hearing things....

Does this make any sense to you ?

deafdyke, I know that no hearing aid or CI is a cure like the lasik, but it's the only thing that can help IMPROVE your hearing. So if it is the only thing out there available at this time of life, do it. There's nothing wrong with it. It's up to parents and young and old adults. They are coming out with CI that's totally in the ear. That's how surgeries and devices evolve and get better. You don't wait until something is completely perfect before trying anything. A CI is as normal as anything ever tried.

A wheelchair does not make you walk up the stairs, but people in wheelchairs will not be stubborn to it and stay in bed all day or drag themselves everywhere because you can't walk up the stairs permanently without a device. It's a device and it helps. It needs accommodations, but it helps anyway. At least you get out most places. If you have a CI, at least you hear something, at least you hear the phone with your grandmother. If you don't see it that way, then I don't know what will.

Last edited:
Sure, I support her decision to have a CI. It doesn't mean that I would support myself to have one. Everyone has their own preferences, and that is what is so great about this world. Everyone is entitled to their own preferences, and trying to shovel it down other person with one's own opinions is not a good thing. I just hope the hearing people do not see it as a DEFINITE solution to someone being able to hear, and criticise people for not wanting to be able to hear. Some people don't care about the ability to hear because they are so accustomed to it.

Y said:
Emerica.. why are you confused/cry about
"proud being deaf" or "choice being deaf" ?

I'm saying that you did not choose to be deaf when born but you did choose to accept for who you are...

"Choose life. Choose ajob. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers...Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind numbing, spirit crushing game shows, stuffing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked-up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life...But why would I want to do a thing like that?" -Trainspotting

To continue my post....I definitly think that it's OK for a person to get a CI if they have extremely poor speech discrimination with a hearing aid, or they can only hear enviromental noises or only have awareness of voices. Ain't nothing wrong with that...I just really don't think it's right for a person to consider an implant b/c they might have improved speech discrimination or be able to talk in crowded situtions or whatever. I mean, for all we know a lot of the implant sucesses might have done equally as well with a body worn hearing aid. Yes, I know that the manufacters claim that the BTEs have as much power as the old body worn ones, but you know, they claim that the ITE aids have as much power as the BTEs....and I wore ITEs for years and years (the old jr high cosmetic concerns) Then an audi at Mass. Eye and Ear put a BTE on my ear.....haven't looked back since!

Back