Hearning newbie here...with a non-verbal child

Mom2NonVerbalOne

Reaction score

Hi. I am Heidi, and not hard of hearing or deaf, but have a child that is non-verbal. He joined our family when he was 2.5 and is now 5.5. We have had him in speech for three years, as well as physical and occupational therapies. His speech didn't improve, although he grunts now (ha ha!), so insurance quit allowing the therapy. He is very bright, but we have spent three years trying to convince "professionals" of this, since he doesn't communicate verbally--and when they see him or evaluate him in a very short timeframe, or in a location that is new to him, he performs poorly, or they interpret him poorly, or both. He is very highly over-stimulated in environments other than home, so that makes it harder.

Since we've gotten him, we have learned ASL words to teach him to sign--and he is an absolute sponge. However, his fine (and gross) motor skills are poor enough that it is a challenge for him to sign clearly--he cannot "enunciate". I have been using the "Signing Time" videos--very cute. However, I think it is time to bring out the "big guns"--and have our family learn on a faster scale. We are homeschoolers, and we live far enough away from what sometimes feels like civilization--the place where the happening stuff is going on. We are outside a tiny town--the next closest town that could offer ASL at the college is about 45 minutes away. This would not work for our entire family, and due to his behaviors, it wouldn't be convenient for me to be going away on a regular basis to learn. Sigh.

Does anybody have a suggestion of a good video or online curriculum to teach a working amount of sign language for us? Again, he cannot "enunciate", as well as making up his own signs if we don't offer one, but if we could at least be in the realm of understanding at least we could interpret for him. I am kind of tired of looking up one word at a time online. I wish Rosetta Stone had an ASL program!

Thanks for any help.
Heidi:lol:

• ASL • American Sign Language has some basic ASL lessons for free. I am getting my interpreting certification completely online, through Spokane Falls Community College, though that is a bit spendier of course. Props to you for persuing this for your child and your family!
You may look into PECS or another graphic program to help enhance communication alongside ASL.

Is he "standalone" nonverbal? Meaning he seems OK in terms of development(ie doesnt have the verbal issues as a part of mental disabilty or autism)Is it kind of like he has Cerebal Palsy? ( There are kids with CP who have perfect hearing but use sign as an expressive lanaguage)That's a rare sitution..........There ARE instances where this happens thou.I would contact Minn State Academy For the Deaf.....Welcome to MSAD!
I would also contact your local United Cerebal Palsy or Easter Seals.UCP and ES,may be able to hook you up with Augmentive and Alternative Communication resources.......There are also some schools for kids who are hearing,but Sign due to expressive spoken language issues......http://www.apraxiaeducation.org/wha...rams/the-children-s-center-for-communicationx and

Also, are you guys Christian homeschoolers?
If so,I have an awesome resource for you.

Back