Hearing women dating deaf/HoH men

i'm hearing, and i've always wanted to date a h-o-h/deaf guy. since sign language is something i'm really passionate about, i want to be able to date someone who speaks the language :)

i actually just started dating a h-o-h guy at my college. he's awesome! :-D he's mainly oral, but he does sign...he just prefers to talk. we've signed a little, but it's usually one-ended (me signing to him and him replying aloud). he hasn't signed in 5 or so years though (although he knows exactly what i sign to him), so i understand that it makes him uncomfortable to sign...hopefully he'll eventually feel more comfortable with it while we're together :)

i am happy for you,i will love to date girls like you,they are rare

. umm the wierd thing is that he had an ex who was deaf and she is telling me i cant go out with him because deaf boys should be with deaf girls.

she is lying jessie marie,deaf boys can be with both hearing and deaf girl,she is just jealous,continue your relationship with your bf

I'm a student taking ASL 2, so I'm just learning. But, in my previous semester, my teacher had asked us all what would we do if we found out the person we loved was deaf. My response was the fact that I would love him regardless of if he were able to hear or not. Deaf people can do anything that hearing people can do, except hear. They love the same, they hug the same, they kiss the same, etc. I have always been interested in working and being around the deaf. If there ever came a time were I fell in love with a deaf man, I wouldn't think twice. It is a lot of hard work to make a relationship like this work, especially since I'm just now learning ASL. I don't think I would mind being with a deaf man, actually I think that's something I've always wanted.

my opinion on this is this: hearing women doesnt want hoh men because she cant nag or complain like she can with hearing guys (even though hearing guys doesnt hear them anyways) but it can be good for the women because they can gossip all they want and really doesnt have to worry about the hoh guys knowing about it. it can or cannot be true, its your opinion. i am just joking around but at the same time, think about it. so please dont flame me. it can work both ways on the guys and the gals.

Forgive the fact that I didn't read all your replies yet. Some thoughts came to mind as soon as I read the OP so I'm just commenting on the original question here.

The truth is woman, hearing or deaf, are mostly attracted to men who express self confidence. That put's us deaf guys in a unique situation. For one thing it's often hard to be confident in a social setting around hearing people who do not know how to communicate with us very well. So that's kind of a mark against us. Another thing that woman are attracted to is our voices. That's another mark against us deaf guys.

Now, on the other hand if a girl has the right mind set (Most often that translates to if they are smart enough to understand this), and the deaf guy is very self confident despite the fact that they are deaf. Then that's a very big advantage. It's one thing for a guy to have high self confidence when there's no reason for them not to. That's not all that hard to do when you don't have anything to be worried about (For instance if they have good health, strong, smart, successful and in this discussion can hear). Why wouldn't this guy have all the self confidence in the world? Now look at a deaf guy who despite this "Disadvantage" still has self confidence. Then that's even more impressive.

I know it might offend some of you when I said that deafness was a "disadvantage". Don't get me wrong on that. It's nothing to be ashamed of and if you can be proud of our deafness then that's even better. It's a sign of self confidence which is exactly the point I was making.

By the way. I can relate to the OP about a relationship failing due to my hearing. I was with my ex-wife for about 15 years. When we first started seeing each other I was profoundly HOH. We where together as my hearing decreased to deafness. At the time of our divorce I had been deaf for a number of years. We didn't divorce simply because I was deaf. But some of the communication issues that resulted from it certainly didn't help matters.

Ron

i don't know, i'm hearing and have loved the same deaf man for over 20 years. when i was in college there were quite a few hearing girls that were dating some of the deaf guys on campus. whether or not that turned into long-term relationships, i don't know. but there were definitely relationships.

i don't know, i'm hearing and have loved the same deaf man for over 20 years. when i was in college there were quite a few hearing girls that were dating some of the deaf guys on campus. whether or not that turned into long-term relationships, i don't know. but there were definitely relationships.

Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself

sorry! :giggle: i'm hearing, been in love w/the same (deaf) guy since college. (long story!) i was a deaf studies major in college and currently teach beginning sign language classes on occasion. and i'm the "pinky" and "pinkyandshmoo", shmoo is my daughter's nickname.

I’m hard of hearing. I’ve only dated two hearing men. One of whom knew ASL, and another willingly joined an ASL club for me. I was raised oral, although recently, after going to NYC, I have an interest in making ASL more of a primary language. That being said – I had originally thought I would date/marry a hearing man, but after realizing the potential in lessening communication barriers – I would hope that whomever I end up with would have a basic knowledge of ASL.

Thus, I would be open to dating HOH/Deaf men now. I can’t say that I’ve had the opportunity to do this in the past since my schooling was done through public schools (I’m in grad school now) and I do not live in a deaf populated area. However, some of the statements in this thread do mirror some of my previous concerns about dating HOH/Deaf men.

I am hesitant in dating a deaf man in that my family is hearing and everyone I interact with on a daily basis is hearing. I hate feeling left out, but it also bothers me if other people feel left out. I am not sure if my family would consider learning ASL if it became my primary language with a future bf/husband. In some sense – I am also not sure if I would be adequate in deaf culture since I was raised oral. Before meeting Gangis and Jiro and others in NYC – I mistakenly thought that people were involved heavily in one culture or the other – but it looks as though some people have remained heavily invested in hearing culture while maintaining their Deaf identity.

I also tend to look on the sunny side of life so I tend relate better with people who are also positive and happy. That is not to say that I cannot relate to feelings of frustration that comes with having a hearing loss though.

I am not the most confident person socially with HOH/deaf folks. Currently, I interact more naturally with hearing people. I’m attracted to socially graceful people who can make my awkwardness feel less awkward. Like many of you – I’ve had my fair share of confusing, awkward conversations and perhaps this would be minimized with deaf/HOH people?

On the flip side – for what it is worth – I feel as though my hearing loss makes me less attractive to hearing men in general.

I am not discouraged though - just enthusiastic. people are beautiful.

personally i dont mind deag or hearing woman as long as we make the effort to communicate. communication is important to me.

It seems like a lot of hearing men come in here asking for advice on how to date a deaf girl. Also, in my experience, it often seems like the majority of "mixed" relationships are usually a hearing man with a deaf woman. Even on this forum, it seems to be more often the case.

In my own personal experience, I have dated several hearing women, but I think I've had A LOT of potential relationships that never developed because of my hearing. And even though my previous relationships ended for whatever reasons, I do think my hearing was a factor each time. Maybe that's a faulty view. (Maybe I'm just a jerk, LOL! but I don't think that's true either. At least I hope not! :|)

I wonder about this. Assuming my observations are correct, why are hearing men more apt to find a deaf mate, but hearing women aren't as interested in a deaf mate?

Any theories? I have my own, but I'll withhold it and see what others have to say.

I'm not sure about how much deafM>deafF or whatever combination can be dreamed up here, but I'll try to write from experience.

Your hearing "disability" is always going to be an issue. I accept my hearing loss. It's really a matter of how well you and your mate go together and accept it and make the most of it in your communication.

I think you have to accept it because it's part of how "normal" communication is doled out. Some hearing people have never had to deal with it, so if its as different as that, they may not want to take the time to do learn the style of communication you may need. If she doesn't want to take the time, then forget it, she doesn't value you the way you may want to. Some people come more open to the idea of learning, some don't. (Damn you work. Damn you. You'd be amazed as to how misconstrued e-mails are. Basic rule: don't take any e-mail on a personal tinge.)

I spend a lot of time concentrating on what the speaker is saying (or what I'm saying) and a lot of times, I miss the hints of more. When I do spot it, the skies open and heaven sings. :)

I've had gfs who wanted to learn ASL and some got up to basic finger-spelling and some basic signs ("let's go", "bathroom", "s-e-x", etc.). When that happened, wow. I was happy. I could then provide her with my amazing eyesight for what she sometimes lacked in.

Do I prefer hearing over Deaf? I don't know because I haven't dated any deaf women before. I have been introduced to the community a wee bit and grew up involved in deaf events/camps. I think she would initially be more frustrated with my lack of ASL competency for the first month or so, but she has to be patient and I have to learn ;).

But, I must say that having those experiences early on in my life led me to have world-view that is more "equal" than other hearing men. I don't place as much value on precipitating race and disability stereotypes than what hearing people may. I think this impacts how hearing women see me sometimes, but I don't dwell on it. I just know that when I'm older, I'll be a very eligible bachelor :).

Y'know your question of whether one group dates more of the other group (opposite sex) brings to mind "Yellow Fever". I was exposed to it at UC Davis and kept hearing the term. Someone showed me the YouTube video and I was amazed. Not only was it a widely used term, it was almost like fact. The perception is that there's a lot more Asian Women dating White Guys than there are White Women dating Asian Men (definitely seemed true). I pledged to a Asian Frat (I'm White) after I checked out a White Frat. I felt more at home with the Asian group. Why? I actually attribute this to the hearing school and deaf camp experiences. Remember, "Equality". And no, not "Stockholm Syndrome". Of course, "Yellow Fever" is a comical term for the most part, but some Asian guys are actually bitter about it until they get to know the White Guy. I think the reason why this perception seemed true was because of the values men and women place on each other and how they interpret it for themselves. The reason why I wanted to hang out with Asians was because I found them to be similar to I. Some people list the pluses of being with another and sometimes some attributes of someone are "better" spent time with certain attributes they'd like to have in their lives. I talked to some good white male friends of mine and at the time we were all dating Asian women. It came up and talked about it. Basically, it was more coincidence than anything else. Maybe it was because she was a minority and understood "fairness". Maybe she understands loyalty. Maybe she doesn't value the kind of wealth most white women seem to want, regardless of acquisition method. Perhaps women like the quick and easy and men will wait for the good ones?

If I want my mate to be my best friend, I hope she understands who I am and why I do the things I do and still love me for it. She must understand that I am HOH.

Last edited:
No, absolutely not. At the same time, I wouldn't say I'd prefer a deaf woman either. Similar to what Sallylou said, it just depends on the right person. I've never actually even dated a deaf/HoH woman, mainly because I've met so few that are my age, and the ones I have were taken. :( But I'd like for that to change. Really, I just want someone who understands me and what my life is like. The odds are fairly good, however, that a deaf/HoH woman is going to understand that better than a hearing woman.

So from your experience now, would you say that a deaf/HOH woman understands better? ; )

I didn't read through all the posts. I'm going to after I put in my 2 cents but here's my opinion....

hearing men tend to care only about looks. It's the foundation for their attraction. Most men are shallow...they won't date a girl who isn't pretty to their liking

hearing women on the other hand care about status. It's the foundation for THEIR attraction. Having any form of disability is considered a negative status in the hearing world.

That's why a man would probably fuck a girl in a wheel chair if she was gorgeous but a woman wouldn't even fuck brad pitt in a wheel chair unless he was a celebrity.

Celebrity = High status hence why girls always go nuts over famous people. They're more attracted to their fame than anything. If the same guy she is CRAZY over wasn't famous and approached her at the bar with a corny pick-up line she'd turn him down in a second

So a guy isn't likely to date an ugly girl
and a girl isn't likely to date a low status guy

So the obvious statement here is that it's much harder for a deaf guy to find a relationship than it is for a deaf girl. Personally I think if a deaf girl dates outside of the community it's making it even harder because the only girls who know his position and can relate to him aren't available.

Edit: TheWrightAlex basically said the same thing on the first page. I think this is the most logical answer

A cynical though unfortunately accurate assessment of how women think about us deaf guys. You know you can't hear the tiger coming and kill it if you're deaf so your rejected.

A cynical though unfortunately accurate assessment of how women think about us deaf guys. You know you can't hear the tiger coming and kill it if you're deaf so your rejected.

im not so sure this is the reason, but im not really sure what is. i have noticed almost all of my deaf guy friends are single and ive always wondered why. they are attractive, intelligent, funny, etc and yet ive never seen them with gfs.

but i just cant imagine the majority of women being so shallow as to view a deaf person as a lower status than themselves simply because they are deaf.. maybe they are, maybe im an exception, but i dont choose my men based on hearing status, just as i dont care if they wear glasses, what car they drive, what shoes they wear, what race they are, etc. i think that is ludacris.

i can see why some women may be hesitant about dating a deaf man for fear of having a communication barrier, but i should think that hearing men would have the same fears. maybe more men date deaf women because they think they are broken in some way and will be easier to control and overpower? :hmm: (maybe i have been in too many crappy relationships. haha)

btw, i am dating a deaf guy right now and loving it. :P

For any one of you who doesn't know me, I am profoundly deaf and uses ASL. I have dated my share of deaf and hearing people.

2 years ago, I dated a HOH woman. She knew both ASL and oral. She kept pushing for us to get married, but I was not ready at the time so she gave up on me. Communication wasn't an issue. It was just that she kept pushing me to get married and have kids with her. Also, I just wouldn't see enough spark between the 2 of us.

Last year, I met a deaf woman online. We eventually met in a person. She is full deaf and uses ASL. No voice just like me. When we met for the first time, she bought along her hearing friend who knew NO ASL. They just wrote back and forth. That was fine with me. I got to spend a lot time with the 3 of them. I dated the deaf person for 7 months. The hearing person has tagged along on a lot of occasions. We had a lot of fun. However, the more I got to know those 2 people, I realized that I had more in common with the hearing person than the deaf person. I had to tell them how I felt. I am now dating the hearing person. Understand that it had NOTHING to do with hearing issue. It had to do with other aspects of life in general, not hearing loss.

I am now very happy with my hearing girlfriend. I have known this hearing person for 7 months and now we are dating for 3 months. I am still friends with the hearing person's deaf friend.Now it is the deaf person that is the third wheel when we go out, not the hearing person.

Strange....

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cent.

i have noticed almost all of my deaf guy friends are single and ive always wondered why. they are attractive, intelligent, funny, etc and yet ive never seen them with gfs.

I don't think it should be fair to lump them all in a category that just because they are deaf, they don't get dates. There may be more to the eye than just that. If you've ever noticed between D and d deafs, D-Deaf have shown a general tendency to be more provocative and assertive compared to d-deafs, who tend to convey a much different personality, but of course this representation doesn't fit with all people. It is primarily the foundation to why I feel D-deaf are more likely to be activists in the "Deaf Power" fiasco going on while d-deaf tend to take more of the back seat, observing or not caring.

But digging deeper into the issue, I've a feeling it is more of an educational aspect, for recent generations, than it is about personality, the two are mutually related, although education builds and shapes the person. The higher you go, the more sophistication you may encounter.

Last year, I met a deaf woman online. We eventually met in a person. She is full deaf and uses ASL. No voice just like me. When we met for the first time, she bought along her hearing friend who knew NO ASL. They just wrote back and forth. That was fine with me. I got to spend a lot time with the 3 of them. I dated the deaf person for 7 months. The hearing person has tagged along on a lot of occasions. We had a lot of fun. However, the more I got to know those 2 people, I realized that I had more in common with the hearing person than the deaf person. I had to tell them how I felt. I am now dating the hearing person. Understand that it had NOTHING to do with hearing issue. It had to do with other aspects of life in general, not hearing loss.

derek's anecdote is further evidence that it isn't a language barrier issue, there's more things being factored. I want to say there's a personality including education variable that is more easily seen in some, not all D-deaf people that may turn off others, whereas hearing people are equally guilty of the same things, but not all are the same.

I don't have any sources or backing to prove this particular hypothesis, so take it with a grain of salt..

I am a CI user, male, and I certainly could understand why anyone, both female and male hearing would get fed up of being in the deaf culture after a while. I've dated and had several relations, although I am single now, I am 100% positive it had nothing to do with my deafness, and I don't see why it should become such an issue, then again, babies were never part of the discussion, and deafness can contribute to "less desirable" physical atribute of the kids, but this has little to do with which gender is deaf or not.

In the above discussion, it makes sense that a woman would want a hearing male, so he can earn more money? Being deaf limits you in many ways unfortunately, I personally don't have any issues, but I can understand why for example my mother doesn't want to teach in Berlin University anymore, since she can barely understand her students in noisy environments.

This is just a guess of my own?? If a woman is healthy, and remember she is the one who nurtures an unborn baby for 9 months, why would she want someone with a disability to share his sperm and turn an otherwise 100% healthy woman into a mother id a crippled child?

Before you blast me, remember that isn't my view, and most woman don't have that view either, just a theory, :P

Back