Hearing women dating deaf/HoH men

Agreed from the people that I know in the ASL programs I would say it's mostly females, however some guys learn ASL (hearing people) as well I would say, a guy who is deaf statistically speaking has a better chance of landing a hearing girl. Looking at the numbers and the odds. However, not all guys are close minded to the idea of dating a deaf girl. I'm hearing and I really don't mind because personality is kind of what I'm looking for in a future mate. It's interesting to hear peoples opinions non the less.

Totally true

It's hard for anyone (hearing or deaf) to find the right person for a relationship. I married my husband because he has a big heart. I just knew that he was the right one for me. Once you find that person with a big heart, you won't need to worry about those other details. Don't give up. It happens when you least expect it. ;)

This is very true, love happens when you least expect it, because it just happens.

A couple questions: first, is that number higher than the amount of Deaf women that you know in relationships with hearing men? Second, how many of those hearing women were already fluent at signing and involved in the Deaf community in one way or another when they met your deaf male friends?

I forgot to ask. Do you prefer to marry a hearing woman?

No, absolutely not. At the same time, I wouldn't say I'd prefer a deaf woman either. Similar to what Sallylou said, it just depends on the right person. I've never actually even dated a deaf/HoH woman, mainly because I've met so few that are my age, and the ones I have were taken. :( But I'd like for that to change. Really, I just want someone who understands me and what my life is like. The odds are fairly good, however, that a deaf/HoH woman is going to understand that better than a hearing woman.

I forgot to ask. Do you prefer to marry a hearing woman?

I am a hearing woman, I have been dating a Deaf man for two years and i love him very much. I was not shocked or turned off by the fact he was Deaf, he had a culture different from mine and I did not speak his language. I never saw it as an inability. He is profundly Deaf and uses sign language 99% of the time, he does not read lips. I met him at the club and he is a fantastic dancer. He has taught me how to sign and I picked it up pretty easily but I know there is sooooo much more that I need to lean and I do wish to become an interpreter (might as well get paid, right?). He is a nice guy and is very patient with me (I'm extremely patient with him, too) and very loving! We do have challenges within our relationship that i think stems from his lack of trust with hearing people in general. I've come to learn that many Deaf people have issues with the way they were raised: they think their parents did not focus enough on them or they just don't agree witht he methods their parents chose to rear them. He has some of those feelings that he has unfortunately carried over into our relationship. I am patient and pray that he learns to trust me completely. It is a challenge to be in this relationsip but I know there are rewards also. I have started a group on this site for people who are currently dating a Deaf person or who has ever been in a romantic relationship with a Deaf person. The purpose of the group is to swap advice that specifically effects that group...there is not a magazine or advice column that caters to us, and there are not many people who can answer our questons! The group is called SpODA, GODA, BODA for the Spouses, Girlfriends, or Boyfriends of Deaf Adults. Look it up, Join it, and Enjoy! Thanks! =)

It takes a long time to build trust and not just for deaf people. Good luck, sapphire moon. It sounds like he's a special guy.

In a long-term relationship, the constant is change, and the people must adapt to change with their partners. It's not easy but it's worth it.

some thoughts of mine only....I met my husband in college. He considers himself deaf w/o HA's, didn't have any when I met him college. Happens to be oral. We have stayed together over the course of so many things, including my coming out to him as bi. I was formally diagnosed w/LD the second year after I met him. Now I am hoh. Am in my 30's. We dated for about 6 years before we got married in 1996. For us, our relationship has been sustained because of something in each of us that is whole and that wholeness is able to encompass but not absorb the other person. The wholeness has nothing to do w/his ears or mine, or my neurology or whether the sky is purple.....

some thoughts of mine only....I met my husband in college. He considers himself deaf w/o HA's, didn't have any when I met him college. Happens to be oral. We have stayed together over the course of so many things, including my coming out to him as bi. I was formally diagnosed w/LD the second year after I met him. Now I am hoh. Am in my 30's. We dated for about 6 years before we got married in 1996. For us, our relationship has been sustained because of something in each of us that is whole and that wholeness is able to encompass but not absorb the other person. The wholeness has nothing to do w/his ears or mine, or my neurology or whether the sky is purple.....

I promise you the sky is not purple. ( and people say I am not helpful) pfffftt

no, true technically not ....but sometimes it is....here....

WHO says you're not helpful?

oh, no need to be sorry, I really didn't think you were whiny:)
you can be happy at your discretion:)

but I still think you are helpful:hug:

Oh, I should discuss the flipside of this. The reason why hearing men don't seem to have a problem with deaf women is because for them, non-visual biological differences are not as much a concern. Men are much more attracted to physicality than women. In fact, deafness is often a desirable trait to men. Some men like to be a "protector" and in extreme cases, this is taken to a controlling degree. I think some hearing men look at a deaf woman and like the idea that they can take care of her, that they can "protect" her and help her with her "disability." Let's face it, too, the hearing person in a relationship is easily able to control the deaf person in many situations, since most of society is auditory based. But then we all know the stories about Deaf women dating hearing men who take the man to the Deaf community, and the man gets pissed off because suddenly he's the one in the position of meekness. I can't help but feel that most of the time when a hearing man wants to date a deaf woman, even if he's not aware of it himself, he's reacting to his biological need to control and protect. I don't like that I feel like that, but I do.

I don't know. Maybe I've got it all wrong... :shrug:

I think you make some good points, especially about control and protection. This topic came up in conversation once and someone expressed that in a Deaf-Hearing relationship, the "hearie" doesn't always have the best signing skills. And that some Deaf men don't have as much patience if communication is not smooth, where Deaf women are more willing to teach the language to assist communication. I have never experienced said relationship so I can't comment from first hand experience but what do you think about this theory? :hmm:

I think you make some good points, especially about control and protection. This topic came up in conversation once and someone expressed that in a Deaf-Hearing relationship, the "hearie" doesn't always have the best signing skills. And that some Deaf men don't have as much patience if communication is not smooth, where Deaf women are more willing to teach the language to assist communication. I have never experienced said relationship so I can't comment from first hand experience but what do you think about this theory? :hmm:

I would generally agree with you that women are more patient than men when it comes to communication (and probably just in general:D). In my experience, men are far more likely to say, "oh nevermind" or "don't worry about it" when I ask them to repeat themselves. But while you say that Deaf men are more likely to get frustrated with bad signers, I'd say hearing men are just as likely to get frustrated as well. Personally, I think if communicating is enough of a problem to create that type of tension in a relationship, continuing it might not be the best idea...

I would generally agree with you that women are more patient than men when it comes to communication (and probably just in general:D). In my experience, men are far more likely to say, "oh nevermind" or "don't worry about it" when I ask them to repeat themselves. But while you say that Deaf men are more likely to get frustrated with bad signers, I'd say hearing men are just as likely to get frustrated as well. Personally, I think if communicating is enough of a problem to create that type of tension in a relationship, continuing it might not be the best idea...

Good observation. I can agree in general they tend to be more like that. I'm sorry if I implyed only Deaf men, I was just attempting to keep the two relationship scenerios from becoming mixed up.

I am a mostly hearing woman, and personally, I would love to date a deaf man.

I think it's part of my affinity for Culture.

I am a hearing female that would have no problem dating a Deaf man. I love ASL and love to continuously learn new signs. I am currently going to college and I am majoring in ASL. I would not have a problem being in a relationship with a man that is Deaf.

i couldnt say in general women being more patient, maybe only due they tend to be slightly more mature...but also its a personality thing.. some individuals are geniunely interested in other people, others just have a 'me me me' mindset..so they are intolerant

((bites nails))

Well, ahem, for some reason I seem to be drawn to hearing men. Well, my only boyfriend (will be ex husband soon) was hearing. I think it is a security issue, I was 18 when I met him (he was 25). Since I grew up without a father, I found comfort in a police officer who took the reins and literally spoke for me. I was blind to his control. I think controlling men may be drawn to deaf women for that reason, it is to have someone to take care of and dominate. I am not speaking for all the hearing men, I'm just saying it could be one of the reasons why a select handful of men may desire a woman from the deaf world.

In ten years from now, I might consider dating a HOH/Deaf man. I'm not too involved with the deaf community in real-life but I would like to change that soon.

Good thought-provoking post!

Back