Hearing school

kaywolflover

Reaction score
What u guys think if hearing schools I don't like it I'm deaf btw

- I love zombie -

I think they are a fine place to get a good education, particularly if they have a dhh program. Your life is going to last far beyond the school years.

And posting here during the school day is not going to help you obtain an education.

You should be concentrating on school, then doing your homework, and only here when that is all done for the day.

People like to bully me

- I love zombie -

That's life.

I was bullied all through school as were many others. Deaf school is no guarantee you won't get bullied.

There are cliques there too, and you won't necessarily be the popular kid there either.

For me school became a place I would not try to speak by collage I did not talk at all. Now it is just something I prefer not to do. I have seen the things said about me when others thought just because I could not hear I must be blind. I never thought much about being made fun of or thought of as easy.
It is hard and other kids can be cruel, as Bottesini said, Deaf school is not better. It is just a group thing I think.
Find a group you can identify with, even if it is small, and live your life not what other think you should live.
Think of it this way, an advantage, if you do not like what is being said turn around, unlike hearing you really can shut them out.

If you are getting bullied- talk to your parents or a teacher or someone to try to resolve it for you. I know sometimes that won't always work but it's worth a try. Botts is right- doesn't matter what kind of school- there will always be bullying in some form (though my hope is that someday there isn't ANY that would cause a student to attempt/commit suicide...). I went to a private Catholic school- no real bullying (well in the traditional sense) but boy howdy were there cliques and "U" and "them" feel (interestingly- none of it connected with religion as we did have a few non-Catholics there).

Bullying happens at every school. Hearing students at hearing schools get bullied. Deaf students at Deaf schools get bullied. It's an issue everywhere. I'm HoH and I was made fun of at my regular hearing school but not because I was HoH but because I was a bookworm and not rich like the other kids...actually, the other kids didn't even know I was HoH

True, there's bullying in all kinds of schools, but at least with deaf schools there's more of a chance that you'll find peers to connect with....Like with hearing schools, unless they're super diverse dhh, and other low incidence kids really tend not to fit into the mainstream, and they might not even have ANY friends.

Have you thought about transferring to TLC, ASD or the Edco program at Newton North?
ALL of them welcome students who are new to signing. I happen to know that some kids from CLARKE SCHOOL transferred to TLC....It might be a really good experience for you: http://www.tlcdeaf.org/, http://www.asd-1817.org/
http://nnhs.newton.k12.ma.us/academics-top-294/programs-top-355/edco-top-356
Isn't there a deaf ed program in Lowell? Ask your guidance counselor... Look into every and anything..... Maybe deaf ed might really help you.

I am hearing, and personally I believe bullying is potent in all schools. There are always cliques and always bullies. I think you should think through what experience you plan to live. Do you want to be able to bond with hearing people? Do you plan on working in a job that doesn't have much to do with the Deaf community? If you plan to spend time with hearing people a lot then I'd say maybe try hearing school. But it will be hard. It could feel isolating and people will bully you because your different. I was bullied for being a lesbian most of my schooling (I'm still in school) but it has made me stronger, and made me who I am.

I am hearing, and personally I believe bullying is potent in all schools. There are always cliques and always bullies. I think you should think through what experience you plan to live. Do you want to be able to bond with hearing people? Do you plan on working in a job that doesn't have much to do with the Deaf community? If you plan to spend time with hearing people a lot then I'd say maybe try hearing school. But it will be hard. It could feel isolating and people will bully you because your different. I was bullied for being a lesbian most of my schooling (I'm still in school) but it has made me stronger, and made me who I am.
Also you can always transfer back to a Deaf school. Trust me, If I was fluent in Sign I would transfer to a deaf school. Idk... I think the Deaf Community is amazing. And personally plan at one time or another to go a semester at a Deaf college after High School.

I grew up as a hearing student in a hearing school and I was bullied quite a bit. If you are having a tough time, reach out to an adult. Many schools have a zero tolerance policy on bullying these days.

I grew up as a hearing student in a hearing school and I was bullied quite a bit. If you are having a tough time, reach out to an adult. Many schools have a zero tolerance policy on bullying these days.

Yeah, still doesn't help with the isolation and ostracization that many students can and do deal with.

Yeah, still doesn't help with the isolation and ostracization that many students can and do deal with.

That's true. I know sometimes it makes it even worse. Now they have proof that they are bothering you, AND they can pick on you for telling. The adults can be just as bad...Some schools will give the same punishment to both the bully AND the bullied! :shock:

Bullying happens at every school. Hearing students at hearing schools get bullied. Deaf students at Deaf schools get bullied. It's an issue everywhere. I'm HoH and I was made fun of at my regular hearing school but not because I was HoH but because I was a bookworm and not rich like the other kids...actually, the other kids didn't even know I was HoH

The isolation of being deaf is not going to happen at a Deaf school like it does at hearing schools. I work at a public school teaching deaf kids and I am the only deaf staff and boy, am I so isolated. Nobody really makes an effort to treat me as an equal and ignore me.

As an adult, I don't care because I have my family and the Deaf community to go but for a deaf child, that can be very traumatizing.

I personally think hearing schools are not good places for deaf children from what I have experienced growing up and have seen professionally.

The isolation of being deaf is not going to happen at a Deaf school like it does at hearing schools. I work at a public school teaching deaf kids and I am the only deaf staff and boy, am I so isolated. Nobody really makes an effort to treat me as an equal and ignore me.

As an adult, I don't care because I have my family and the Deaf community to go but for a deaf child, that can be very traumatizing.

I personally think hearing schools are not good places for deaf children from what I have experienced growing up and have seen professionally.
AMEN! People seem to fixtate that THE ANSWER to turning out successful high achiever students (ie kids who will become Professionals, like doctors, lawyers etc) is offering EXTREMELY high quality curriculum(ie like the type you'd get at a prep school, or taking everything AP, or getting the highest GPA......There are a LOT more pieces to the puzzle besides that. A kid could be academicly high achieving but still be socially immature and lack in a lot of the "soft" areas like self esteem etc etc etc........Deaf schools and dhh programs actually HELP in this area.....Big time!

Being-alone-sucks.gif

What u guys think if hearing schools I don't like it I'm deaf btw

- I love zombie -

I hate both mainstream schools (elementary and high school) which they have Special Education program for only Hard Of Hearing students. I am not hard of hearing in the first place. I am deaf for Christ sake. I tried to tell the principal that I want to go to the Deaf school where I can learn to sign and also I need to learn ASL and then get ASL interpreters in hearing school. The principal said "No" and I get upset and frustrated with trying to make out in classrooms. Most of us, deafies or hard of hearing students are frustrated trying to understand what the hearing teachers said. :(

But if you have ASL interpreters in the 21st century, you should be able to understand what ASL interpreters interpret on what the hearing teachers and other hearing students said. That would be helpful. If you don't know sign language like ASL, then you are stuck. :(

I'm new to the fourm - I haven't participated in one of these for years but the whole Hearing - Deaf school concept is a huge issue for me. I grew up through the hearing schools and was bullied mercilessly. It may be true that you would be bullied at a deaf school, but to assume that kaywolflover would be instantly bullied just because - is a bit cruel. I would like to think that there would be more tolerance - although there would probably be a culture shock, but I know from my own desperation is that I am just looking for a place ANY place where I can be accept and connect.
Cliques and social groups are not just in schools, so I think it is a moot point and as you get older you learn how to navigate them better.

The approach would be for me to find an education where information is challenging to obtain so that you only receive it half-way, but to get the information completely as a whole. If that means sign language in a deaf school so be it. I feel that connecting to the information - the material has a double impact on how someone does socially. I remember being very left out because I was missing information from the classroom.

Communication %100 over a backward perception of how a deaf or hard of hearing person should try to interact.

Back