Hearing person learning asl

notsodifferent

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a interested in learning ASL. I have self taught myself for the past two years but I mostly just do PSE. I plan to study ASL in college and was writing my statement of purpose. I don't know much about the deaf community and any do's or don't's since my school doesn't offer ASL and I haven't taken a formal class. I was wondering if this following phrase is offensive. I wouldn't ever want offend anybody with what I am saying. "...to pursue a possible career path to incorporate American Sign Language and the Deaf Community into dance."

Thank you so much

Welcome! Just remember you're entering the Deaf community's world at these events, so try to educate yourself before hand on the social norms. It might help your anxiety! Learn phrases in ASL like "Nice to meet you" "Hi my name is ____" "I am hearing, sorry I don't know ASL but am learning". Things like that. People will be very friendly as long as you are polite and follow the lead. I still get nervous going to Deaf meet ups. I'm HoH with hearing aids (severely Deaf otherwise) and my sign is more signed English. Once you're there you can ease into though.

Back