Hearing people who join alldeaf...

Double-U

Reaction score
Note: Interpreters and other hearing people are excepted, of course.

How do deaf and hoh members feel about hearing people who join Alldeaf and are never heard from again outside of Introduce Yourself? Most of them don't seem to know any deaf people and say they're "learning ASL" and "looking for someone to chat with."* These people seem to make up the majority of new members.

I'm not deaf, but I am losing my hearing, and I find it somewhat irritating.

*I am in love with quotation marks and always imagine making them in the air with my fingers when I write them. Forgive me.

It happens in real life too. People eager and then they lose interest in sign or being friend with a deaf person. It takes commitment.

I am hearing my son is hoh and I have a deaf friend I'm learning asl and s.e.e and I have signed up for lessons online and I'm a week or so new .. and I have been learning asl for a while .... so ... not everyone just drops it I love asl and the community and I believe it to be the most honest loving beautiful fun language there is

Note: Interpreters and other hearing people are excepted, of course.

How do deaf and hoh members feel about hearing people who join Alldeaf and are never heard from again outside of Introduce Yourself? Most of them don't seem to know any deaf people and say they're "learning ASL" and "looking for someone to chat with."* These people seem to make up the majority of new members.

I'm not deaf, but I am losing my hearing, and I find it somewhat irritating.

*I am in love with quotation marks and always imagine making them in the air with my fingers when I write them. Forgive me.

Why do you find it irritating?
I came here to find someone to chat with and practice ASL. I found someone.
So, I don't peruse the forums as much anymore.
I'm not deaf/HoH/terp, so I try to limit myself to which threads I go to.
I don't feel it's necessarily that we "are never heard from again". Also, it's not exactly easy getting in to the deaf community online, especially when you can't really communicate well, and you're learning. So, I think maybe people tend to latch on to one person that reaches out to them? It's easier to get with one person and grow in your learning. Then branch out to other people. I mean.. my hands get tired from fingerspelling from all the signs I don't know! Haha. I couldn't imagine trying to take on multiple teachers.
I'm not sure. Just my opinion.

It's not just hearing people really any person that introduces themselves or make a thread that people are replying to but they up and leave and never come back... so of the threads do get pirated and we run them off haha. but it is not just hearing people that do this. it could also be the same for long time members that just fall of the face of the earth one day leaving everyone lost and confused and loney....:hyper::tears:

I know I have no been around much either. I'm HoH and may most likely go deaf. Anywho, my problem is life just kind of got in the way. This page is even bookmarked in my favorites, and when I open them I always say to myself "I need to get back there," but I just can't seem to find the time. Today I found an e-mail reminding me that it's been a while, so I said goo a time as any....

I know I have no been around much either. I'm HoH and may most likely go deaf. Anywho, my problem is life just kind of got in the way. This page is even bookmarked in my favorites, and when I open them I always say to myself "I need to get back there," but I just can't seem to find the time. Today I found an e-mail reminding me that it's been a while, so I said goo a time as any....

Yeah, but you have a hearing issue. Hence, this is a place for you, regardless of how often you post.

I am hearing my son is hoh and I have a deaf friend I'm learning asl and s.e.e and I have signed up for lessons online and I'm a week or so new .. and I have been learning asl for a while .... so ... not everyone just drops it I love asl and the community and I believe it to be the most honest loving beautiful fun language there is

I was speaking mostly about hearing people with no impending hearing loss and no connection to the deaf community (or to anyone with a serious hearing loss, for that matter). You don't fit that description, of course.

Why do you find it irritating?
I came here to find someone to chat with and practice ASL. I found someone.
So, I don't peruse the forums as much anymore.
I'm not deaf/HoH/terp, so I try to limit myself to which threads I go to.
I don't feel it's necessarily that we "are never heard from again". Also, it's not exactly easy getting in to the deaf community online, especially when you can't really communicate well, and you're learning. So, I think maybe people tend to latch on to one person that reaches out to them? It's easier to get with one person and grow in your learning. Then branch out to other people. I mean.. my hands get tired from fingerspelling from all the signs I don't know! Haha. I couldn't imagine trying to take on multiple teachers.
I'm not sure. Just my opinion.

I'm kind of hyperbolic, so take what I said with a grain of salt. I probably should not have originated this thread, but my good sense is usually in suspension until AFTER I screw up.

That being said, why ASL? Do you have a deaf family member, or do you just like the language?

I'm kind of hyperbolic, so take what I said with a grain of salt. I probably should not have originated this thread, but my good sense is usually in suspension until AFTER I screw up.
Personally, I only like Deaf people, except for some late deafened who really fit in.

The hearing, people "losing their hearing", "am going to go deaf, omg" etc, aren't even on my radar.

Mostly I live on tiny Deaf enclaves at Facebook.

But I think I really shouldn't say things like that as it's hurtful.

Personally, I only like Deaf people, except for some late deafened who really fit in.

The hearing, people "losing their hearing", "am going to go deaf, omg" etc, aren't even on my radar.

Mostly I live on tiny Deaf enclaves at Facebook.

But I think I really shouldn't say things like that as it's hurtful.

It's not that hurtful.

I'm hearing. I've been signing since I was 15 and I'm 23 now. Along with moving to places with "less open" Deaf people and being in relationships with other hearing people I tend to have gotten "distracted" from the Deaf Community. It wasn't that I grew bored or became uninterested. I actually would share with my hearing friends and husband how much I missed it all of the time! I grew close to many Deaf and HOH people, along with beloved interpreters and I definitely felt the pain associated with missing these fun and artistic souls. So, I'm back, I had to make a few adjustments that weren't easy at all. I'm living proof that some of us really do give a damn.

We have had several hearing people with no connections work at the Deaf school where I used to work at and a lot of Deaf staff would question them why did they learn ASL and why do they want to work with deaf children. Often times, they would say that they feel sorry for the poor little deaf kids and they want to help. That had a lot of people offended. What do you think of that?

We have had several hearing people with no connections work at the Deaf school where I used to work at and a lot of Deaf staff would question them why did they learn ASL and why do they want to work with deaf children. Often times, they would say that they feel sorry for the poor little deaf kids and they want to help. That had a lot of people offended. What do you think of that?

In my opinion that depends on why they feel sorry for the poor little deaf kids... Is it because they feel sorry that they will never hear in the same way as hearing people do... Or because they feel sorry that in general our hearing world does not bother to change communication methods... It's all in the intention in my opinion

It may not be a considerate way to describe how they felt when starting but I have a feeling that as they really get into it they come to admire what the kids really can do.

It may not be a considerate way to describe how they felt when starting but I have a feeling that as they really get into it they come to admire what the kids really can do.

No, they said..they feel sorry for them.

I'm not so sure on that Jane, I think it's more something inherent to someone's being...

Either you see that increased abilities in other senses can enrichen a person either you see someone who is deprived of something...

If they could they would probably still want to fix them and say that they could reach more with hearing...

I am hearing and studying to become an interpreter. I certainly don't blame so many of you for the offenses you feel. Already I have met so many people who decided it was too hard to learn the language or didn't want to really spend time to meet people in the Deaf community. I think the language is absolutely beautiful, but even more so is it is allowing me to communicate better with more people and form new friendships. I would otherwise not have been able to communicate with the Deaf people I have met on the same level. I don't personally feel sorry for anybody for being Deaf as I don't believe it is a deficit of any sort. I do think it is a horrible and sad disservice when terps aren't good at what they're doing or don't really want to have relationships with the Deaf community. I do feel badly when I see Deaf are treated or seen as not being capable of the same that hearing people are. Like you said, Mieke, I believe hearing people's other senses are lesser than Deaf people's senses because we depend on our hearing for so much, and I think the reality is that is an advantage Deaf have that hearing people need to recognize and learn from! I am learning more and more every day, and please know my intentions are never to offend. I always welcome any learning opportunities and I feel honored to have been welcomed into Deaf events and communities, including this one. I consider it a privilege. I know I am not on here often. It is just because being a mom and a student, my time is limited to spend on the computer, but it is a point I will take to heart! :)

GRR! I think that is the worst reason to work with deaf and hoh children ! This would be sending them a message that there is something very wrong with being deaf or hoh and that they should feel sorry for their self ! People like that shouldn't be teaching deaf and hoh kids.

Back