Hearing is believing

Has anyone....ever met or known an ENT that knows ASL??? I've not met one...and I've been to many in different states.....Strange to me!

I know one audiologist, but no ENT

Trying to think back...

Yes I know at least one Audiologist who signs here in NC, other than the audiologists at Gallaudet. Have not met any ENTs who sign that I can remember. Have gone to one MD and one P.A. who both knew sign- they signed very very well.

Trying to think back...

Yes I know at least one Audiologist who signs here in NC, other than the audiologists at Gallaudet. Have not met any ENTs who sign that I can remember. Have gone to one MD and one P.A. who both knew sign- they signed very very well.

Its not suprising....even my student who is a doctor, in her feild has been given rolled eyes over her desire to learn sign, from collegues

The feild.ent and adio is mainly hostile to sign.
Which makes sense given the very pupose of the feild is to make one hearie.

Has anyone....ever met or known an ENT that knows ASL??? I've not met one...and I've been to many in different states.....Strange to me!

The audi that went through the CI process with me in Winston Salem at Baptist knew ASL but she has moved to Atlanta.

Lots of deaf people today implant their kids to give them access to both worlds.

The big objection is to raising kids with no ASL, and no knowledge of the deaf world.

Many times people who aren't deaf come here and they want to romanticize deafness.

I hate this when it starts another of the big CI battles like the old days. The main participants in those are star struck hearies and those who don't even have a deaf child.

Right on Botti!!! My only real objection is the assumption that CI is always better then HA. I do think that if HAs were covered, you'd see a HUGE drop in implantation, since the canidate pool has been widened to include more ambigious kids. Whatever happened to the audilogically deaf kids who benefited so much from HA? There were schools FILLED with them in the old days. (and not that long ago either!)

Back