Hearing into Deaf

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
Would you date a hearing that is way involved in deaf world than you and thinks they are more closer/understand about deaf......

sometimes this is a turn off to me. I want to go out not because there is a "deaf social/event"

No, I would not, and sometimes those people usually have the wrong concepts of the Deaf World, and are closed-minded.

date a hearie whos already so involved with the community -- prolly not but who knows -- anything can happen! :lol:

It depends -- if too much...I doubt it...but it at the right balance...I probably will go out with him. ;)

BabyPhat21 said:
Would you date a hearing that is way involved in deaf world than you and thinks they are more closer/understand about deaf......

sometimes this is a turn off to me. I want to go out not because there is a "deaf social/event"

Oh well...to be honest with you...IT DEPENDS...because love is powerful this you cant conqueor unless you handle it good...let me share what I see through a friend of mine...he is well known man in deaf world and famous person with classy name he dated a hearing woman, and this woman is fluency in asl..he fell in love and got married...they have 3 lovely kids..and they have been happily married for more than 20 years and still counting....

PurpleRose71 said:
It depends -- if too much...I doubt it...but it at the right balance...I probably will go out with him. ;)

:shock: but.. but... I thought you were married!

I had a ex gf whos hearing. She's already in deaf community since we were together. Shes an interpreter.. ;) She have a great reputation in deaf community.

I am worried there will be drama or gossip. What if one day he slips and says something because he was mad or didnt realize it and it will go all around in the Deaf world in Cali....... also you cant complain about each other cuz it will go around like wildfire.....

Babyphat,

This reminds me of my bf's ex. She's hearing and she is becoming more involved in the Deaf world since she found out that he was dating me. She is spreading false stories about me and our relationship. That hurts. I agree, I sometimes think that hearing persons who think they "understand" the Deaf Way can slip up and end up hurting people for years and years.

Not sure if I would date someone who's hearing but already involved in the deaf community. I guess it will depend on factors.

well, if u are worried about ur hearing boyfriend or girlfriend accidently tell a deaf person something private or whatever. and it spread throughout to deaf community, and stuff. u should sit down and talk to ur sweetheart, and let them know u'd like to keep ur life private... and that if they hear anything from other people, like a gossip. they should always go directly to you and ask if its true or not. instead of believing it and blame it on you. I know its hard. I try to do that. So I pretty much date hearing guys instead of deafies cuz of that. and I am not 100% active in deaf community I try to keep my life private. and try to get involve as much as I want and Im friend with some deafies that I trust with things I tell them, and what they see in my life... cuz I know they wouldnt spread a gossip abt me, or whatever. so far I dont really have much of plm... I'm still single, and looking to date someday... deaf or hearing.. it wouldnt matter to me, as long the guy know he can always come to me abt anything, whether he hear things abt me or what I did, etc. he should ask me directly b4 believing it or repeating it to other people.

I tried that and guess what he thinks he knows more about deaf people and deaf ways than i do. He doesnt really believe me about deaf gossip/crab theater....ooh i wish he could hear the "anti-hearing" stuff that I hear alot of deaf people say......... he dont understand that they dont really LET him in or show their true color, they just smile and sign/chat with him but he doesnt believe me and i am so worried cuz when my deaf friends or people who know me found out that i am dating him, they are starting to talk to him, they never talk to him before. HELLO, see the freaking connection here?!!??! lol...

Lianca said:
I had a ex gf whos hearing. She's already in deaf community since we were together. Shes an interpreter.. ;) She have a great reputation in deaf community.

Lol, I think I know who she is. LMAO.

babyphat...I FEEL U DEEP mama....dat why i hate to bring hearing boyfriend into deaf world..cuz deaf people LOVES to talk shit!! FUCKEN JEALOUS!!!! if i date deaf or hoh fellas....i dont give a damn cuz they juz like to talk shit...they can believe what they all want...i aint worry bout NONE...cuz i wud tell them to dem haters that likes to keep my name in ur mouth..juz swallow it and choke on it..do wha the best u can do

BabyPhat21 said:

It DEPENDS on....I will tell you reason...I have associated with some deaf parents with hearing children...I am close friend to one hearing friend who is CODA...his deaf parents are famous and well known in across america and international. Their hearing son is very strong deaf orignated minded and have strong body language where did he get it from...it is because he socialize with many deafies and participated in big main event too..but he did admitted to me..he said need balance his needs social with hearing and deafies to realize his true identify even his parents didnt tend to force him to make his own identify. Other thing, I realized this some CODA refuse to social with deafies people or unopen their attitudes with deafies...

Reason...I will tell you story as summarized...my former roommate and I from college (where's there an awesome deaf program there)...my roommate and I happened to be stuck in group of hearing group planning to go to baseball game..as since interpreter cant make it...so the Resident Assistant realized it is out of luck to communicate with us...so he take out legal pads and pen as backup but somehow one young woman popped out of nowhere from hearing group, and said to us "I can help you with interpreting because my parents are deaf, and I know what to do?" It made us puzzled and pondering what make her come out of nowhere...she did interpret us whole through baseball games then eat out even we never asked her to do for us...we did told her we will surivive with it. But after the day ended...we thanked her for her heart..then she disappeared...we did see her occassionally in hallway around the campus but she never said hi or stop by to chat with us...even we tried to chat with her. Weirdo? My roommate and I agreed this young woman felt this she was being imposed by her deaf parents to do dirty work for them make her felt it is ENUFF...know what I mean. This is why I DONT BELIEVE in imposing my own children if they were hearing or whatever...I let them to be who they are but most impt I teach them communicating tools simply.

Some CODA are awesome some arent....but other way of sayings if anyone who is hearing who dont understand deafness are worse than just foolish because God created deafness for his own reason...smile.

My deaf friends have been great in USA. I'm a bit worried about meeting new deaf people around here in Norway.. but they have been great, and welcoming. I just have to be careful with my private life as I would other strangers.

Douglas said:
Lol, I think I know who she is. LMAO.

ah, LOL Douglas, I think I know who YOU are.. :)

Last edited:
Back