Hearing impaired and D.O.T. physical?

midnitexvz

Reaction score
Ok, here's a doosy for ya... I haven't gotten an answer yet. As in my previous post you know that I have a CDL license to drive the bigger trucks. I wear a hearing aide. Now i was from FL and the last time i got my physical (the physical that DOT requires for CDL drivers to obtain a license) the nurse that checked me up, just went ahead and passed me, didn't even do the hearing test. Now im in North carolina and my 2 years is coming up. I have to go do another physical. I've been to 3 places so far. And they do your normal check up and then do a "forced whisper" test, where they had me face the wall and cover my aide and tell them what they said in a whisper. I can hear things, and believe it or not i heard the whisper but i can't make out what they say. I have nerve damage and have never been able to actually distinguish words, just hear sounds. So they went ahead and did the hearing test. Now being in the booth with headphones on just makes my ears ring (a common thing im sure you know with hearing impaired/deaf people) So of course i had a hard time hearing the beeps because it blended in with the ringing. So she put me at 70db when im supposed to hear 40db!!!!! Neither of the 3 doctors would pass me because of my hearing. But yet it doesn't affect my driving and doesn't affect how i do my job. Can they do this? Do you think an audiologist would sign off on it? (they said my only other alternative would be to have my audiologist say that i can hear well enough to obtain my NC CDL) Everyone has been stumped on this. you would think they'd have special provisions for us folks.

you could try calling the state liecensing dept. and see if you really need to pass the hearing test to get a CDL in NC. Might ask them to send you the requirements for liesense highlighting the part that states there is no exception for deaf people, or the part that says there is an exception for deaf people.

I can do one better than that. I work with the DMV for NC. I spoke with several people on this issue and found out the deal. NC is one of many states that goes by federal regulations for CDL requirements. Those federal requirements have certain standards for hearing at a minimim level. Other states like Florida and some others prefer their own standards in which hearing isn't so relevant to them. In the case of NC, they only waive a couple of physical issues (if warranted) but not deafness below the threshold.

That explains the disparity between how different states handle this issue. But I will warn anybody with hearing issues (below the federal guidelines) to be aware that the ultimate goal of the federal gov't is uniformity in CDL licensing requirements and it is gradually working down to all fifty states. I ought to know as I have been part of the systematic efforts to make NC's driver license system conform to the federal guidelines. So, this means eventually all the states will be abiding by the federal statutes and that does not bode well for those deaf CDL drivers that don't meet the minimim standards. Whether these guidelines will ever be relaxed...I have no idea. Realistically, I suspect they will be staying around for a while.

Yeah, when I was around 20ish (I'm 26 now) or so, I called a trucking company to see about a job, and they bluntly told me that I would have to hear VERY VERY VERY good in order to qualify for the job. Needless to say, I ended the conversation and hung up. :(

Oh well. I don't think I want to drive a semi truck now, anyway.

Mmmm...trying this soon

Ok, here's a doosy for ya... I haven't gotten an answer yet. As in my previous post you know that I have a CDL license to drive the bigger trucks. I wear a hearing aide. Now i was from FL and the last time i got my physical (the physical that DOT requires for CDL drivers to obtain a license) the nurse that checked me up, just went ahead and passed me, didn't even do the hearing test. Now im in North carolina and my 2 years is coming up. I have to go do another physical. I've been to 3 places so far. And they do your normal check up and then do a "forced whisper" test, where they had me face the wall and cover my aide and tell them what they said in a whisper. I can hear things, and believe it or not i heard the whisper but i can't make out what they say. I have nerve damage and have never been able to actually distinguish words, just hear sounds. So they went ahead and did the hearing test. Now being in the booth with headphones on just makes my ears ring (a common thing im sure you know with hearing impaired/deaf people) So of course i had a hard time hearing the beeps because it blended in with the ringing. So she put me at 70db when im supposed to hear 40db!!!!! Neither of the 3 doctors would pass me because of my hearing. But yet it doesn't affect my driving and doesn't affect how i do my job. Can they do this? Do you think an audiologist would sign off on it? (they said my only other alternative would be to have my audiologist say that i can hear well enough to obtain my NC CDL) Everyone has been stumped on this. you would think they'd have special provisions for us folks.

First time replying on site...so not sure done right. Anyway.....am planning to try passing this test september. I have same situation with average 70 db and test requires 40db...nerve loss also....down to 110db at higher pitch......the form I have states that you need the average 40 range (WITH) the hearing aid on. So, unsure if you were tested with aid on or not. I'm hoping to find an audiologist to manipulate my aid(s). The test requires only to hear 40 in one ear with aid on. I have a computer adjustable aid. Then perhaps find another audiologist to turn it down later.....lol. Damn if I'm gonna wear that thing truckin anyhow....toot TOOOOOOT!
Will have aid on eyewear and just pop it in and out.
OK good luck and hope ya let me know what happens. :cool:

looked it up

OK checked it out and
.......does not have an average hearing loss in the better ear greater than 40db at 500Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2,000 Hz... WITH OR WITHOUT a hearing aid when a audiometric device used....

I have a severe hearing loss, two hearing aids and also have a CDL. The PA did the whisper test by looking at me to see if I heard the whisper and nodded his head. I saw that he whispered, but what he said is beyond me. How could you hear a whisper when the truck is loud? My truck is very loud, with or without my hearing aids in.

whisper just an indicator

I'm sure they don't expect anyone to hear a whisper while driving a big rig.....it's only an indicator that one has pretty good hearing. I've never heard a whisper....
anyways.....:cool: keep on truckin

I'm sure they don't expect anyone to hear a whisper while driving a big rig.....it's only an indicator that one has pretty good hearing. I've never heard a whisper....
anyways.....:cool: keep on truckin

Actually, who could hear a whisper when driving? Get a life! The truck is way too loud to hear anything. DOT doesn't even know why they require this, which is why they are as incompetent as they are.:dance2:

Actually, who could hear a whisper when driving? Get a life! The truck is way too loud to hear anything. DOT doesn't even know why they require this, which is why they are as incompetent as they are.:dance2:

No kidding! My dad used to drive trucks and when I was younger i rode with him. He used to give friends rides on his way to places in that big truck and they were having to almost yell at each other to hear anything.

i have a good buddy that have slight hearing loss and a truck driver for DRW inc in Springfield, Tenn and he did pass Kentucky CDL he may have 20-40 percent hearing loss

Use to have a CDL but had to give it up when my nerve disease started. Anyways, the whisper test is just a quick way to see if you can hear at 40 db. The whisper, I guess, is approx. 40 db, so it is a quick way to tell if you can hear that level or not. I never had that test because I had my truck driving license prior to the days of the CDL. When the CDL thing started, I just went in and exchanged the license for the equivalent CDL. When it came time for my first physical, I had already started to come down with my nerve disease, so I ever had the test. Just a little background info.

Anyways, I think the "forced whisper" = approx. 40 db.

No kidding! My dad used to drive trucks and when I was younger i rode with him. He used to give friends rides on his way to places in that big truck and they were having to almost yell at each other to hear anything.

Then you wondered if the other person was in a bad mood because of the yelling. I never can or could hear a whisper, so what's the point of it . . . something for the DOT to do so they would have something to do.:roll:

I'm hearing impaired myself and have the same problems you do.. Can hear most all sounds but can't make out what is being said verbally sometimes. I started trucking school to obtain my CDL in Nov. The DOT Dr. passed me with the forced whisper test. After a week of school one of the employee's there decided she could over ride the Dr's. results. Not only do I pass the audiometer test, but also passed the whisper test and they decided to withdraw their decision. I am now hunting for an ADA attorney or an organization which can help me with this case. I agree hearing has nothing to do with driving. I would challenge it in any way you can. I'm not sure where you should start, as I'm trying to get things started myself. Does anyone know of anyone who can help out?

I'm hearing impaired myself and have the same problems you do.. Can hear most all sounds but can't make out what is being said verbally sometimes. I started trucking school to obtain my CDL in Nov. The DOT Dr. passed me with the forced whisper test. After a week of school one of the employee's there decided she could over ride the Dr's. results. Not only do I pass the audiometer test, but also passed the whisper test and they decided to withdraw their decision. I am now hunting for an ADA attorney or an organization which can help me with this case. I agree hearing has nothing to do with driving. I would challenge it in any way you can. I'm not sure where you should start, as I'm trying to get things started myself. Does anyone know of anyone who can help out?

Out of curiousity, what company is it? I may decide to apply there and see what they tell me. Feel free to pm me and let me know, as this would be interesting to see what they tell me. Second part of your question, contact your state's attorney general's office and ask who to call to file a complaint under the ADA.

Yeah, when I was around 20ish (I'm 26 now) or so, I called a trucking company to see about a job, and they bluntly told me that I would have to hear VERY VERY VERY good in order to qualify for the job. Needless to say, I ended the conversation and hung up. :(

Oh well. I don't think I want to drive a semi truck now, anyway.

Hear very good? what for? You dont need to hear to drive, not legaly or physically.

i just reposted this post with a little update. if you want to check it out, needless to say even with new hearing aides i'm still struggling to get the test passed because i can't understand the whisper words they're saying, i can hear them but not understand them and can't do the audiometric because of too much feedback on the aid

It does take time to get use to new Hearing Aids. The DOT rules don't say that you have to understand the forced whisper. It only says you need to "hear" it. Did you point that out to them?

Hey, Geez (chuckles) I am with you that dealt with to obtain a CDL. I can not obtain because I am completely deaf, you see I own a towing company out here in NC called T & B Towing, Inc. I have tow trucks ( light duty and medium duty rollback trucks and a 12 ton wrecker) I drove em daily I really don't need a CDL to drive em in my state (North Carolina) because all of em are under 26k GVWR each but in October 2005, as our business was growing , We filed to obtain USDOT numbers on each of my trucks in the order for us to do the interstate autos hauling , the morning of October 2005, the DOT auditor showed up my shop to do the inspections and found that I am deaf, he pulled the DOT regulations and laid on me here was the regulation code 391.41.(B)(11) I was so frustated as here is the ironic issues here that I really can not do or would break this rule daily!! I must have a CDL in the order for me to drive MY OWN trucks across the other states because my trucks are the commicial trucks and/or drive my wrecker that tow over 10k lbs, as u see my wrecker can tow small car as a Volkswagon bettle up to 26 feet single axle vans like a U-haul or UPS vans so what would go over 10k lbs is bigger than the duallies like Chevy 3500 or F350 but I towed larger than that about daily. U may see I had to break to get my bread and butter every day.Here what I broke this rule are driving my OWN wrecker towed several trucks that wieghed over 10k about every day, Secondly, driving my OWN rollbacks in this state only not out of this state as the interstate driving but I do subhauling for a big nationwide company, Copart, Inc they deal with insurance agencies who buying and selling the total loss wrecked autos and trucks I usually across Virginia which is north out of this state to pick up autos from the auto auctions in Viginia also in South Carolina
Well , that DOT's BIG NO for me, what I do wrong? huh we went through fighting with this regulation to be revised! it established in 1951 We tried many avenues to revise this regulation, We met a congressman named Howard Coble who represent for our state and a important key player in the Federal DOT commiuntee on the DOT panel, He worked with us now so Support this congressman, Howard Coble, last I know of DOT had the formal hearing last March 2007 we WON on thier Medical review now so that half way to go now it sit on the DOT panel to finalize in sometime soon before thier hoilday break so PRAY THEY WILL REVISE THAT REGULATION!!!! remember I still break this regulation daily!! Morris

Back