Hearing Group

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
HOW do you guys feel when you are in a group thing, whether it's social or in class.........I always feel left out.......... sometimes I think I am alone.... you know what I mean??? what do you think??

BabyPhat21 said:
HOW do you guys feel when you are in a group thing, whether it's social or in class.........I always feel left out.......... sometimes I think I am alone.... you know what I mean??? what do you think??

When in a hearing group.. yes.. I often find myself left out.. so I usually walk away and mind my own business... I would only stay in group if and when I have a friend willing to inform me of whats going on... and able to actually answer my questions without going "Oh it's not important" (I find that to be rude!)

I think being in a hearing social group takes a lot more effort on us. So I think we just got to pat ourselves on our backs and be proud of our own effort to try and follow, also a high five for the friend.

I ignore everyone and do my own thing. I don't even bother to get involved in any ways.

I know what you mean, BabyPhat. I used to feel that way when I was in high school, like I was an outcast in a hearing group. But if you open yourself and be friendly in any group, I'm sure you'll fit in just fine. It's normal for anyone to feel "funny" when placed in a "different" group.

im the same way like butterflygal has said -- i ignore them and do my own thing

I see it happen from time to time. I've seen a few deafies join an academic co-ed hearing fraternity on campus just because the feel that it will make them look better. Whenever I see them at social gatherings, those deafies are alone and talkless while the hearies are chatting up a storm. They probably wish they joined a social deaf fraternity/sorority instead.

Yeah! I felt left out at lot of times.. At least you tried! Sometimes I would walk away and mind my own business.

not just socialize ... but even work eviromiments too ... I feel totally left out too ... but sometimes i have to tap on their shoulder what are they talk about .. but i just simple hate summary story that's it ... i want more details from them i know they talk allot of details but they gave me simple summary ... sometime i feel that they don't want me to know everything .. but That's life .. i just simple be chill out and sit back and watch them ... few times i tried to walk away and they jump and get me back into the crowd again ... I said ohhh okay and sit back and sigh ... one time one chick saw how lonely am i .... she came and keep me company with notepad and write which she went to store and brought it and came back and keep commuicate with me which was impress me big times.. later on i just found out that she had the crush on me but she just realize that there is lack of commuicate with me but we still keep in touch with each other once awhile which is better than nothing ...

but there is not that many deaf greek i think only gally and universities with a strong deaf program

I have often found myself in those specific type of situations. Only a few hearing friends I had, did go out of their ways to make me involved when on outing for meals or coffee. In other times, I do usually go on my own and amuse myself in other ways, ha.
Sometimes I nag my hubby and remind him to interpret for me whenever we're at a family gathering and so forth. :roll: He's always forgetting until I ask him what was going on.

As for class -- I never had that bother me. I was a loner during my years of attending college, preferred my own company rather than spending time with friends. You can say I was quite introverted during that period. ;)

I usually feel left out when I am at work when there is potlucks and stuff and now things aren't same like it used to be at work :roll: oh well I shall not give up on what I do the best at work. and u'll be fine babyphat21 just try to tell ur friend it's important u know or confront the friend and tell her or him how u feel and it's important that u are invovled cuz u are friends with some hearies I'm sure if I am right tho. so I'm sure u'll be fine when u show them u can be able to chat and know what's going on instead of feeling left out.

BabyPhat21 said:
but there is not that many deaf greek i think only gally and universities with a strong deaf program

Well... I am Greek and the university I went to doesn't have a strong deaf program (and its not really much of one). I was probably the only one who is totally deaf in the Greek system (well I know of a HoH girl but she quit Greek)

It does apply that I am also 'left out' during meetings for my sorority. Only way I know what's happening is by sitting next to the recording secretary... worked for awhile but then after awhile it got tiring (and stressful on my academics, since I usually try to find out more what happened afterwards). I wouldn't really change my experience for the world.... only wish is that they allow interpreters (but they don't due to ritual -- only way if the interpreter is part of the specific sorority I'm in)

I feel you all. I often left out in the hearing group. I am tired of hearing "it is not important." statements all the time. I am the last person to know what's up with my family members. It sucks big time. I decide to do my own business instead.

Pretty quite likely me for long time... (My adopt families mostly left me out all the times)

Sometime hearie left me out too some other hearie aren't left me out...

Espically My birth families are not going leave me out and spend time and chi-chat (willing do anything learn). Impressive my b families than adopt families does!

:)

I get left out quite so many times. I just sit there and mind my own business, even when I'm at my own family reunion. :roll: If my husband and I are with just our parents (two on two) then we're fine on communication with them. But if in a huge group of hearing friends/family members, we get left out. We simply leave the room or go somewhere and just two of us (my hubby and I) chat to each other or watch/play with our boys.

But sometimes we get left out in the deaf group too. :P

Back