Hearing-Deaf Etiquette

I had that last week! I was asked if deaf people can drive, and she knows I drive! I don't know if I found it rude or not, kinda did but kinda didn't. Just confusing.

This has been really interesting to read. I always wondered what is the "right way" to approach a deaf person in a non-offensive way. (As opposed to my way of meeting people from most other cultures... jumping in and learning LATER what I should not have done. LOL)

I cover my mouth when I yawn and for obvious reasons when I cough and sneeze. Did your boyfriends laugh and talk at the same time?

:eek3: Does laughing make it harder to lipread someone? Cuz... I laugh a lot, and I'm wondering if that could be problematic if someone tried to lipread me.

Keep in mind that most hearing people, when they learn you are deaf, apologize and walk away.

believe me, we'd rather you'd stay, and make an effort to meet us halfway, by writing things down if you don't know sign or we're having trouble lipreading you.

like howag said, deaf people are forthright and blunt, so don't worry, just talk, er, write to her :) forget all the PC crap.

Yeah,when I tell some people I am HOH they'll say " I am sorry." I am like HUH?
What this that all about?? Some people get so uptight about it.

As of now, nothing has made me laugh, but the husband informed me that I DO laugh while talking. That would make it hard for you to lipread, right? :hmm:

Yep. Also a lot of people that laugh and talk at the same time habitually put their hand over their mouth. Dang them!!!

Yep. Also a lot of people that laugh and talk at the same time habitually put their hand over their mouth. Dang them!!!

I don't really do this: :giggle: much anymore... but I do laugh and talk, mainly because I'm usually laughing about something or other. Crap!!

How to break the habit?

I don't really do this: :giggle: much anymore... but I do laugh and talk, mainly because I'm usually laughing about something or other. Crap!!

How to break the habit?

Practice making jokes and listening to jokes with a straight face. :giggle:

Another no-no: Talking without moving your lips, or talking through your teeth.

Do you laugh and talk at the same time?

My sister-in-law does that, and man, it drives me crazy. I don't see her very often (she lives in the U.K.), but her strong nearly-Welsh accent plus the irritating (IMHO) habit of laughing at the end of every sentence and sometimes between words - even when she is just saying normal, not-at-all amusing stuff - makes it very hard for me to understand her.

I need my husband to translate quite a bit when I'm with her.

maybe she is just nervous?

I do that. it's just my personality... Life is hard, I'd rather laugh than cry.

I watched a video we had to made for a class today. Apparently I DO laugh and talk at the same time. I also said the word "ummm" 21 times in two and a half minutes. :shock:

Anyway, what I have learned from this conversation is that I would probably be really hard to lipread, so if I ever want to have meaningful conversation with a person who can't hear well, I should learn ASL.

In happy news, DCMP granted me level 2 membership, so I can watch the ASL lessons with the Bravos!!!!

My sister-in-law does that, and man, it drives me crazy. I don't see her very often (she lives in the U.K.), but her strong nearly-Welsh accent plus the irritating (IMHO) habit of laughing at the end of every sentence and sometimes between words - even when she is just saying normal, not-at-all amusing stuff - makes it very hard for me to understand her.

I need my husband to translate quite a bit when I'm with her.

Lol the Welsh accent is hard enough to understand to most people who live in the UK

Back