Hearing daughter needs advice on service for video calling deaf dad

ok -- first i want to say - i understand your plight .. back when i was tech support , there was a number of hearing calling saying they want their own vp's so they can call thier deaf loved ones to see them but only to be turned down due to the fcc rules. its not the VRS fault. the vrs is unable to accommodate hearing since they can hear and want them to use vrs , not peer to peer calls.

since your dad in law already has sorenson vp that means he has high speed internet. what i would do if i were you is get a touch chromebook with webcam and set it up for google hangout. set it up so its easy to log in and leave it up 24/7. when you call via hangout using your pc,tablet,mobile wahtever -- the screen will flash . if he is not seeing it you can always call via vrs and have him realize you are calling via hangout. all he has to do is click answer . nothing complicated.

^^ Great idea. I think the same could be true for Skype but I've not compared the two.

The part I added bold to made me think of something. It would take additional arrangement but does a friend or caregiver at your father-in-law's location happen to have a cell phone or laptop PC and be willing to come by his place for the conversation to take place over their equipment?

That's a possibility. He lives in a little dirt town in Oklahoma, but I know they have internet in the town because he used to ask me to fix his PC and internet connection every time we visited...and before he somehow caught his last PC on fire :shock:.

He does have a neighbor next door who is kind enough to keep my sister posted on his condition when we are unable to reach him. I can see if he'd be willing to let us do something like that. If nothing else, perhaps we can find an inexpensive tablet (in case he accidentally destroys it) and maybe the neighbor will let us skate off his wifi in order to skype dad? Definitely a thought.

MelindaK,

If you can find a way to get your dad to use a computer or laptop, NexTalk will donate copies of our ACCESS software to you and your wife's sisters so that you can communicate with him. ACCESS is a communication platform that NexTalk developed specifically for the deaf community...and those with whom they communicate. My family uses it to communicate with my father-in-law, who is deaf. Among other things, ACCESS will let you do both point-to-point video and text calls with your wife's dad (no third person on the call).

Everyone should be able to talk to their papa :) .

Gary Tanner
CEO
NexTalk, Inc
801-545-4411 direct line
844-224-6189 TTY
ACCESS ID: gtanner (video phone)

Hi Gary, thanks for your reply. What kind of connection is involved/required in order to communicate? He's been through three or four PCs, which has gotten a bit pricey for the family. Unfortunately, he would constantly fall for email scammers, facebook scammers, malware, viruses, etc, and somehow caught his final PC on fire. So, the thought of a PC or laptop is a bit...scary to us. Perhaps a tablet? Or if I get him a laptop, again, what kind of connection is required, please?

Thanks!
Mel

ok -- first i want to say - i understand your plight .. back when i was tech support , there was a number of hearing calling saying they want their own vp's so they can call thier deaf loved ones to see them but only to be turned down due to the fcc rules. its not the VRS fault. the vrs is unable to accommodate hearing since they can hear and want them to use vrs , not peer to peer calls.

since your dad in law already has sorenson vp that means he has high speed internet. what i would do if i were you is get a touch chromebook with webcam and set it up for google hangout. set it up so its easy to log in and leave it up 24/7. when you call via hangout using your pc,tablet,mobile wahtever -- the screen will flash . if he is not seeing it you can always call via vrs and have him realize you are calling via hangout. all he has to do is click answer . nothing complicated.

OK...awesome...I'll check into this. So SorensenVRS is not a dedicated high speed internet connection? I thought maybe it was a separate line or something. PLEASE forgive my ignorance on all of this and thanks to ALL for the ideas!

OK...awesome...I'll check into this. So SorensenVRS is not a dedicated high speed internet connection? I thought maybe it was a separate line or something. PLEASE forgive my ignorance on all of this and thanks to ALL for the ideas!

All VRS connections feed from the already existing high speed internet access. I use the PC software and have a ethernet cable from my PC to the router (or modem if I didn't have the router). It's possible to use WiFi but sometimes the video quality is poor. Same with their standalone (Sorenson VP, Z70, Z5 Max, whatever Purple's is)- connection runs between TV/device to router/modem. They don't have their own internet service so to speak- it feeds off whatever yours is.

Radioman can correct me on that if I'm not right. I don't know how Nextell works though.

Hi Gary, thanks for your reply. What kind of connection is involved/required in order to communicate? He's been through three or four PCs, which has gotten a bit pricey for the family. Unfortunately, he would constantly fall for email scammers, facebook scammers, malware, viruses, etc, and somehow caught his final PC on fire. So, the thought of a PC or laptop is a bit...scary to us. Perhaps a tablet? Or if I get him a laptop, again, what kind of connection is required, please?

Thanks!
Mel

You would need a broadband connection Standard internet connection.

correct -- if you have soreson vrs videophone and you can see the video calls on the tv just fine .. you can bet your ass that they already have internet in thier home.
hows its setup -- can be tricky if you dont know the terms like modem, router, modem with built in router, etc. the best i can do is if you can send a pic of the wiring setup of all the boxes the vp is connected to and send via pm if you feel comfortable doing so. be sure you take pics of model numbers too -- i dont need mac nor serial numbers. this will alone tell me how the your folks home is setup. Chances are if they have just ONE LAN ethernet cable connection available on their router setup(it doesnt matter if it built in modem or standalone router - you can use a chromebook w/ cam to use with google hangout in thier home. i picked google hangout since its easy to use and i use it myself when i chat with my hearing son in college. gives him a chance to brush up his asl skills.
the reason i picked chromebook is that there is no bloated operating system and less chance of viruses etc and it boots up quick. its good for online stuff. harder for people to click malware, etc in emails, questionable websites. all the things your dad in law is complaining about is ZIPPED!

You would need a broadband connection Standard internet connection.

spoken like a broken tech support without reading the full email story.

if you bothered to read any of the past posts in this thread - you would see they have soreson VRS vp in thier home. so what does this tell you ? no need to quote you need BROADBAND INTERNET......... sigh.

back when i was tech support -- my numbers were lower then most since i try to read the history of the customer and gather facts before i attempt to fix - but i get a higher rate of simple fixes if they are able to follow directions. I am sorry to say -- most people seems they cannot or will NOT hence you need to have a better bedside manners ,not the u need a broadband ..... sorry if this offends you but i call it like i see it.

Instead of being so quick to attack him,

You could use some reading lessons also, If you look at quote, He was answering her question so therefore it doesn't matter what previous post said, She asked a question and he answered! Your attack on him is uncalled for.

Instead of being so quick to attack him,

You could use some reading lessons also, If you look at quote, He was answering her question so therefore it doesn't matter what previous post said, She asked a question and he answered! Your attack on him is uncalled for.

And Secretblend I think you probably lucked out and there were not a number of posts made in between the one you were replying to and yours.

I, for one, would have appreciated it if you would have "quoted" who you were replying to. If others had gotten a bunch of posts made in between who's you were referring to and yours I think we would have had real guessing game on our hands.

And Secretblend I think you probably lucked out and there were not a number of posts made in between the one you were replying to and yours.

I, for one, would have appreciated it if you would have "quoted" who you were replying to. If others had gotten a bunch of posts made in between who's you were referring to and yours I think we would have had real guessing game on our hands.
Jane, YOU seem to be the only one who can't figure these things out. Will you please stop criticizing people because they don't to things the way YOU would prefer them to be done.

Jane, YOU seem to be the only one who can't figure these things out. Will you please stop criticizing people because they don't to things the way YOU would prefer them to be done.

I figured it out but feel a quote would have been considerate and said so.

I just knew I would get a critical response from you! As I said before, it seems that you just have to criticize every opinion I post. It feels like if it is something I post you find a way to criticize it just because it comes from me!

I figured it out but feel a quote would have been considerate and said so.

I just knew I would get a critical response from you! As I said before, it seems that you just have to criticize every opinion I post. It feels like if it is something I post you find a way to criticize it just because it comes from me!

No... she provides equal opportunity replies to all posts not just yours. :D

I do wonder why you always need to pound into....err keep saying please quote please quote please quote. Unfortunately a)not everyone will read closely (skim through) and b) some people are hard headed and will do what's easiest... especially if they're posting from a phone or tablet and c) some people have people on ignore so they can't quote directly but reply in some odd fashion to someone who replied to the ignored person...now THAT drives me nuts more than somebody not bothering to quote.

It's a lost cause to be honest. While we're on the subject though, why not bring to task the people who quite often quote a post then comments inside the quote so that it looks like one giant quote? That's even harder to separate out lol. Yes I know it's not meant on purpose- Just like it's not meant on purpose when people don't quote. It's just a forum- low on my list of priorities.

/fin now that you and I have managed to derail this thread.

It is very rare to get virus on apple products. I use iPad mini to chat with my friends. (Facetime, Facebook video chat, google hangout) IPad mini is not expensive.

spoken like a broken tech support without reading the full email story.

if you bothered to read any of the past posts in this thread - you would see they have soreson VRS vp in thier home. so what does this tell you ? no need to quote you need BROADBAND INTERNET......... sigh.

back when i was tech support -- my numbers were lower then most since i try to read the history of the customer and gather facts before i attempt to fix - but i get a higher rate of simple fixes if they are able to follow directions. I am sorry to say -- most people seems they cannot or will NOT hence you need to have a better bedside manners ,not the u need a broadband ..... sorry if this offends you but i call it like i see it.
Radioman,

The question she ask me was, and i quote..."what kind of connection is required?". I answered her question. I know they have Sorenson VRS in their home, that is part of her challenge, working with an FCC funded VRS provider and the restrictions that they place on their platform. What I proposed to her was an alternative to Sorenson, a solution that was not reliant on the FCC and would give her more communication options than just VRS. Maybe you should evaluate your own bedside manner.

Here's the technical problems:
Dad has no computer or mobile phone. He basically killed his last three computers and refuses to use a mobile phone anymore.

All he has is a landline and a SorensenVRS videophone.

Since we're not deaf, it's my understanding that we cannot access Convo, Sorensen, or any other service like them. Facetime and Skype appear to be out of reach since he has no mobile devices or computer.

So if there is something anyone knows of that we can use to call him on that Sorensen device, PLEASE let us know. We're desperate. My wife, whose first language was ASL, is wanting and needing to talk to her dad. Talking via some stranger who's relaying the message over a telephone just isn't the same thing.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Mel

Hello,

This has been a problem that has plagued us deafies for years. I wrote about this in another thread back in 2011 because I wanted to have my hearing family, friends, and interpreters, who know sign language, be able to call my videophone directly (sans interpreter). It was/is legally possible, but very inconvenient. Luckily, as time has passed, technology has improved drastically (and, unbelievably, today we are even seeing the VRS companies work together on standardizing VP (SIP) technology). Back in 2011, I was helping others setup hardware, or software, solutions that enabled them to dial my VP directly. As FaceTime became popular, I broke down and got an iPad just so I could FaceTime hearing people. Also, other factors, such as text size limitations have been removed, MMS messaging took over SMS, etc. It all helped us easily keep in touch with everyone 24 hours/day. Unfortunately, your wife's situation with her father is different, and he since he can't take advantage of these technological improvements, below are a few ideas...

First off let me start by saying that, as far as I'm concerned, THE person for this discussion is "VRSEngineer." He responded to many of my posts back in the day, and I never found anyone who understood the technology, and the industry, as well as he did/does. It was his work as an engineer for ZVRS, that made everything possible for hearing people to legally contact me via my videophones (such as the one your wife's father uses). I was, and am, very grateful for all of his input as it improved the quality of my life tremendously. That said, I'm not sure if he still posts here, but it would be wise to attempt message him on these boards. I can guarantee that if he chimes in, his input will be of great value. If interested, the original thread can be found at: http://www.alldeaf.com/threads/best...-pc-webcam-to-call-deaf-hoh-vrs-number.84435/

Ok, the easiest way to solve this problem would be for your FIL to apply for a Z videophone (meaning hardware that doesn't require a computer since you said that he doesn't have, or want, a computer). Since he is deaf, he is allowed to use this hardware (just like his current Sorenson hardware), and ZVRS will even provide it for free! This will then allow your wife, anyone in her family, and actually anyone on the planet, to use the Z5h software (that you mentioned you already downloaded) to call that videophone (VP) directly. Additionally, any Deaf/HoH person with a VP could also call him just as they would on his current Sorenson VP. They wouldn't have to though, they could still use his Sorenson VP if it's too much of an adjustment for him to make.

Assuming that he refuses to have two VPs in his house (which is not a problem at all), and since you said that you are willing to spend money to make this happen, there are other options. ZVRS used to (and I believe they still do) allow any VP (regardless of whether it's a hardware or software solution), that was capable of URI dialing, to go through (for lack getting technical) its servers by dialing a '10-digit-VP-number'@zvrs.com (e.g. if your FIL's Sorenson VP phone number is 202-404-6060, you would dial "2024046060@zvrs.com").

There are hardware solutions available where you can purchase a private videophone (some examples can be found from Tandberg and Cisco), and there are software programs/apps you can download (most cost money) that will provide a software solution. It's your choice as to your preference. IMHO, the best solution was a free solution from Cisco called "Jabber Video Beta" that could be downloaded from www.ciscojabbervideo.com. I used this for years, but very unfortunately, this product reached its end-of-life last year, and can't be used any longer. However, I have been told that Cisco now has a free replacement product called "Spark" (I have not tested this though because, as I said above, I finally gave up on all the headaches, and used other technologies to communicate directly with the hearing world). This product came about through what Cisco called "Project Squared." It can be found at: "https://www.ciscospark.com/downloads.html". You will need to create a free Cisco video account (as was also needed with Jabber Video Beta), then you can use the Spark apps for iPhones/iPads, Android, and the Spark programs for Mac, and Windows. Again, I have not used Spark, or any Cisco product, since they discontinued Jabber Video Beta, so should Spark not work there is also Lifesize Mobile Video Calling. The company Lifesize has a software videophone product called ClearSea that was designed for video conferencing. It costs between $29 and $44 per month and can be found at: https://www.lifesize.com/en/products/video-conferencing-software/clearsea. The main requirements for any VP (hardware or software) is that it (1) supports URI dialing and (2) supports the H.264 video codec standard (this is important because of the Sorensen hardware that your FIL has; it used used to be an issue, but really isn't anymore as most VPs are H.264 capable).

To be clear, it will be important to verify that ZVRS still allows 10-digit URI dialing through their servers to a deaf person's video phone before attempting to implement these solutions (unless your FIL gets a Z phone from ZVRS). It will cost ZVRS money every time you place a call, as they will have to access the Neustar iTRS database. They were just eating the small fees for the betterment of improving our lives. Thank you ZVRS!! Likewise, you will be using their gateways/servers and this consumes a small portion of their network resources. Thus, it's easy to see why they might have discontinued offering these services to everyone at no charge. I would NOT just call them up and start asking questions as it will probably lead to more headaches, and maybe even cause additional problems. Instead, hopefully, someone use who is currently doing this will provide input on it. If not, maybe start with a free Cisco account and Spark for testing.

Hope this helps!

Back