Hearing daughter needs advice on service for video calling deaf dad

MelindaK

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My wife's elderly dad is not doing very well and we're worried he might not last much longer. We're trying to get down to visit him as soon as possible, but in the mean time, I want her to be able to talk to him on his video phone.

We called SorensenVRS, but they basically told us to F-off since we're not deaf and that there was nothing they could do for us. I had an online chat with the folks at Convo and they were very kind, but had no help for us either.

Here's the technical problems:
Dad has no computer or mobile phone. He basically killed his last three computers and refuses to use a mobile phone anymore.

All he has is a landline and a SorensenVRS videophone.

Since we're not deaf, it's my understanding that we cannot access Convo, Sorensen, or any other service like them. Facetime and Skype appear to be out of reach since he has no mobile devices or computer.

So if there is something anyone knows of that we can use to call him on that Sorensen device, PLEASE let us know. We're desperate. My wife, whose first language was ASL, is wanting and needing to talk to her dad. Talking via some stranger who's relaying the message over a telephone just isn't the same thing.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Mel

Do you happen to live near a Deaf school? They may be willing to let you use a video phone - I'm assuming it has at least one. The Deaf school near me has them, I believe (think I saw them when I was taking ASL courses there a few years ago).

Do you happen to live near a Deaf school? They may be willing to let you use a video phone - I'm assuming it has at least one. The Deaf school near me has them, I believe (think I saw them when I was taking ASL courses there a few years ago).

We don't live near a deaf school, but my wife used to work as an ASL interpreter before she got carpel tunnel. I'll have her check with friends who still work there and see if it might be an option to use one of theirs? It's a possibility anyway. Thank you for the reply.

I wonder if this would work: http://www.sorensonvrs.com/ntouchmobile_faq

I don't know ASL so have never used a any of these things.

Unfortunately, no. We called Sorensen specifically about that service, and about any others that would work. Like I said, they were very unkind in how they spoke with us. They told us no. Although it would work, we did not qualify to use it since we are not deaf. It looks like they have several really great services for video phone/relay though for deaf and HoH folks :).

Unbelievable! Did you explain the situation to SorensenVRS , that your wife's dad is deaf and you need to keep in contact with ? I wonder if elderly service would be able to help you or the phone company your dad use. You could trying calling the phone company handicap office and see if they can help in some way. Try calling COA =Council on Aging and see if will call SorensenVRS and put some sense into their heads ! COA may help with the cost of the equipment to help your father in law.

Yes, we certainly did explain the situation to SorensenVRS. It wasn't as if we were trying to get something for free. We'd have been glad to pay for the service in order to be able to communicate with him using our laptop, a phone, tablet or something. They just didn't care. They have all of those options available for people to use, but they just didn't care. Seemed a little ridiculous. My father in law has three daughters who all speak ASL fluently. He as two step-daughters who speak ASL fluently. All of them would love to be able to speak to their dad on a regular basis without a go-between. And right now it becomes more of an issue as he's nearing the end of his life and some of the girls are farther from home than they'd like to be right now.

Anyway...we will check into the COA and see what they say, too. Thank you for another idea with possibilites. We appreciate it.

Try ZVRS-

As I understand it I think you will still be able to connect to your father's Sorenson using ZVRS. I remembered they had some sort of program for Z5 for Hearing.

http://www.zvrs.com/services/products/z5/

They're good people though they're being a pain in the ass for me- still trying to get the Z70...not sure how big that ZMax is.

Good luck and I hope your wife can connect to him soon.

OMG! YES! I believe that will work, DeafDucky! ILY! :). I just registered us and am downloading Z5H now. Thank you so very much!!!

OMG! YES! I believe that will work, DeafDucky! ILY! :). I just registered us and am downloading Z5H now. Thank you so very much!!!

You're welcome. Let us know how it worked out - I'm curious.

You're welcome. Let us know how it worked out - I'm curious.

Well, we downloaded the software onto our laptop and set it up.

I asked one of our relatives for his videophone number and entered it, tried it, and nothing. The software says "dialing" and then nothing happens. It goes back to the "enter a number" screen. Not sure if we've done something wrong or if we've entered a wrong number for him. Is there a test number out there...so I can see if this software actually works on our laptop? Thanks!

Well that sucks... I hope they fix that... I wasn't aware of that little stupid glitch. Really think hearing who have deaf relatives or friends and know sign language should be able to call directly regardless of what VP the deaf person has.

I'm sorry.

I wonder if there is anyone at the FCC that can give you suggestions? Surely you are not the only family in a similar situation. I hope that if it takes changes by that agency it can be recognized and done quickly enough to help you.

Well that sucks... I hope they fix that... I wasn't aware of that little stupid glitch. Really think hearing who have deaf relatives or friends and know sign language should be able to call directly regardless of what VP the deaf person has.

I'm sorry.

No need to be sorry. I agree with you, though. I mean, considering my wife's four sisters all grew up with deaf parents and all speak ASL fluently, you know there's gotta be other families like this: deaf parents raising hearing kids, deaf kids who will grow up and move away and want to vp with their hearing parents.

I guess maybe the majority won't have the limitations that we do in our current situation, that my father in law has no cell phone and no PC. Most folks can probably skype or facetime. Still, it seems a little crappy on the vp end of things :(

If we work it out, I'll let y'all know. Thanks for all the replies!!

No need to be sorry. I agree with you, though. I mean, considering my wife's four sisters all grew up with deaf parents and all speak ASL fluently, you know there's gotta be other families like this: deaf parents raising hearing kids, deaf kids who will grow up and move away and want to vp with their hearing parents.

I guess maybe the majority won't have the limitations that we do in our current situation, that my father in law has no cell phone and no PC. Most folks can probably skype or facetime. Still, it seems a little crappy on the vp end of things :(

If we work it out, I'll let y'all know. Thanks for all the replies!!

The part I added bold to made me think of something. It would take additional arrangement but does a friend or caregiver at your father-in-law's location happen to have a cell phone or laptop PC and be willing to come by his place for the conversation to take place over their equipment?

I'm guessing the VP etc requires a special phone #? If so, that may be why they limit it to the deaf. I'm actually surprised we haven't run out of phone numbers considering all the landlines and cell phones being used.

I'm guessing the VP etc requires a special phone #? If so, that may be why they limit it to the deaf. I'm actually surprised we haven't run out of phone numbers considering all the landlines and cell phones being used.

Yes you get assigned a number when you sign up for VP.. I assume that a certain amount is allotted for deaf usage thus why we have to prove we are deaf.

There is supposed to be something in the works with a universal platform. I know that with the deaf VPs some of the companies can interact with each other, others have issues... that's one of the sticking points with the Z5. Honestly I am actually surprised that part has not been explored more by any of them other than ZVRS- sorenson, purple, Convo and the other one which I can't remember right now. That they didn't think that deaf folks would have... hearing family who know ASL and one or the other family member may not have access to FaceTime or Skype.

Hi everyone!

My wife's elderly dad is not doing very well and we're worried he might not last much longer. We're trying to get down to visit him as soon as possible, but in the mean time, I want her to be able to talk to him on his video phone.

We called SorensenVRS, but they basically told us to F-off since we're not deaf and that there was nothing they could do for us. I had an online chat with the folks at Convo and they were very kind, but had no help for us either.

Here's the technical problems:
Dad has no computer or mobile phone. He basically killed his last three computers and refuses to use a mobile phone anymore.

All he has is a landline and a SorensenVRS videophone.

Since we're not deaf, it's my understanding that we cannot access Convo, Sorensen, or any other service like them. Facetime and Skype appear to be out of reach since he has no mobile devices or computer.

So if there is something anyone knows of that we can use to call him on that Sorensen device, PLEASE let us know. We're desperate. My wife, whose first language was ASL, is wanting and needing to talk to her dad. Talking via some stranger who's relaying the message over a telephone just isn't the same thing.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Mel

MelindaK,

If you can find a way to get your dad to use a computer or laptop, NexTalk will donate copies of our ACCESS software to you and your wife's sisters so that you can communicate with him. ACCESS is a communication platform that NexTalk developed specifically for the deaf community...and those with whom they communicate. My family uses it to communicate with my father-in-law, who is deaf. Among other things, ACCESS will let you do both point-to-point video and text calls with your wife's dad (no third person on the call).

Everyone should be able to talk to their papa :) .

Gary Tanner
CEO
NexTalk, Inc
801-545-4411 direct line
844-224-6189 TTY
ACCESS ID: gtanner (video phone)

Last edited:
Back