Hearing Aids users

deafdyke said:
HAHAHA! :laugh2: Oh, man you rock!!!!!! I hated those stupid FM devices with a passion!!!!! I can vividly remember wearing the old-fashioned FM devices, in elementary school the ones with all the straps and which looked like a body aid.(aka VERY dorky!)

Oh yeah and I remember teacher being sooooo excited about FM! She thought it was so cool :roll:

Hellooooooo

I have worn hearing aids since 1999, so not so long. I take the hearing aids out and the shoes off as soon as I come home! ;) They don't help like they did when I first got them. I was tested 18 months ago, because I felt like I have had more hearing loss, but they said "nope, still the same." Yeah, right.

I remember when I first got them, I emailed all my friends and said "DAMN! You all live in a *noisy* world!" Now, I play "What was that word?" - I will not understand what someone is saying, but hear a sound, so I try to figure out what words sounds like the sound I heard, and would fit in a sentence behind the word I understood. :p

As far as do I like them? I live with them. They hurt if I have a head cold or a sore ear, and don't wear them if I can help it ;)

hey,
I still wear hearing aids and they help me to hear dangers and help me to understand people a little better and stuff like that, except the feedback which is embarrasssing if u don't know it's doing that, overall it helps me in my opinion. :)

I remember wearing FM's! I loathed it. Thanks goodness, I finished wearing them in Grade 2 or 3.

I always wear Hearing Aids. It helped me lipread better.Also I can hear somethings with the assistance of the HA. However these days, I turn on or HA off at some times, for example: I'll turn it off when in lectures etc.

Even at home, I keep it off which drove my mom up the wall when she called for me only to get no reponse! :lol:

I have worn a hearing aid for the past 17 years so I am pretty used to it i guess. It has never bothered me other than when the batteries run out when you dont want them to.

Ed

Thanks goodness, I finished wearing them in Grade 2 or 3.
Yeah, I stopped using it in 4th grade. One of the things that I absolutly posituvely HATED about the old-fashioned kind is that you could only hear the teacher. You couldn't hear what the other kids said...and I really like being able to hear what the other kids say. Get this....now they push using the FM OUT of school....Ummmmm...OK. I don't get it...aren't hearing aids ENOUGH to be able to hear out of school?
I would only use an FM if the professor or teacher had a VERY VERY soft voice.

eshov said:
I have worn a hearing aid for the past 17 years so I am pretty used to it i guess. It has never bothered me other than when the batteries run out when you dont want them to.

Ed

Im the same, except its been 16 years for me that Ive been wearing my aids. My parents didnt find out I was deaf until I was 3.

I have digital aids, the only disadvantage about them is that they start beeping to warn the batteries are low way before they actually run out, its so annoying.

DUDE!!! That happened to me in school today! We were watching some thing and my left one started beeping!!!!!!!!!! So annoying, plus other people can hear it.

i now 16, i had worn Hearing Aid since 1993, that 11 year, i not wear it anymore, i still hear teacher, i dont wear much these day i just too lazy haha

Raging Quiet said:
Im the same, except its been 16 years for me that Ive been wearing my aids. My parents didnt find out I was deaf until I was 3.

I have digital aids, the only disadvantage about them is that they start beeping to warn the batteries are low way before they actually run out, its so annoying.

With my aids you can get the audiologist to program them so that the beeping is deactivated. It's worth asking if yours can have that done too (the default is for the beep to be on - and I couldn't really hear it anyway).

FM in schools

Hi,

I wore FM for a long time. It was good until my ears dove off the chart this year. It helped for classes a lot. One time, tho, I was wearing it and it picked up some construction workers working on the school building. hehehe. I got to listen to some really kewl language (swear swear loud!) instead of english class!

One teacher asked me to wear it all time. I mean can you imagine wearing it to a bar or something? I'd rather lip read. Personally I'm looking forward to HA's. I have enough residual hearing that they may help. Of course I may change my mind after wearing them. lol

I hate to wear it as it is not effective FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My high tune is nearly deaf.
No help by the hearing aid...
And hearing aid is noisy and NEVER be able to replace genuine ear.

as it is not effective FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My high tune is nearly deaf.
No help by the hearing aid...
Vicki, have you tried more powerful aids like body worn aids or those high frequncy transponder aids? You should be able to get good help as high frenquncy losses are very very common. Ask your audilogist for help.

illustrator said:
do you always hate to wear it?

I do wear hearing aid. BUT the mold is lost so need to get new one. I do depend on hearing aid for music or listen to children if they are crying, talking, or scream for me. I do wear one hearing aid but they gave me 2 of them. Problem is Volume. One right hearing aid was high volume and one left hearing aid was low. It was so annoyed to me to listen people talk or noisy outside which make sound funny and not same voice. I was not comfortable for that. I chose one hearing aid and good enough for me! :)
Mommyof3

Raging Quiet said:

Oh yeah, I know how annoying that can be! :mad:

deafdyke said:
Vicki, have you tried more powerful aids like body worn aids or those high frequncy transponder aids? You should be able to get good help as high frenquncy losses are very very common. Ask your audilogist for help.

I have bought one high class hearing aids in September 2004!!And it costs me HK$13696 (20% off)!!!>______<
However................After I bought it......I SELDOM wear it as same as before. It can say that I haven't wear it now.
I expect too high before....Now I regret buying the hearing aids.It is too expensive and not so efficient!
Actually, before I bought that, my audiologist has said to me that I still need speech-reading to understand the words when wearing the hearing aids.

My expectation is that I can understand the speech without speechreading, just hear it by wearing the hearing aids. So I feel very very very very very disappointed. :|

So I just can pending for the new therapy to cure my hearing loss as I realize that ALL hearing aids are unable to help me. It is true!! Do you understand ??
My audiologist said that hearing aids just can help the hearing below 90dB. But my high tune hearing excess 90db already...And reach 120db...same as deaf. :tears:

illustrator said:
do you always hate to wear it?
I do not hate to wear hearing aids, and they only help me hear vibration. I have had 2 cocluor implants, one at age 6 that failed right away, then a second one at age 10 which failed after 2 yo. The only problem I have now is I can't be understood very well because I can't hear any more, yet my signing skills are very poor. ~Orange

I can only hear out of one ear, and there's only about 40% hearing left in that one. I'm glad I got a hearing aid a few months ago, it has helped alot. No one makes fun of me anymore! :(

Back