Hearing aid for profound loss in one ear

Sortofdeaf

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this or if it is even appropriate in this forum. If it's not, please forgive me and maybe point me in the right direction.

I have had a profound loss in one ear since birth. The other ear, until recently, heard perfectly. After having my daughter, I first developed tinnitus in my hearing ear. Over 18 months later, I now have a mild conductive loss in that ear. I have heard different things, but the latest is that I may have Otosclerosis.

I recently started wearing a bicros which helps a lot. The audiologist told me that I would only hear distorted sounds if I tried to use a high powered hearing aid in my "deaf" ear. Is that a definite thing? I am only looking to possibly hear environmental sounds out of it. Thanks for any help you can give me

I don't think it is definite. It could help it could not. Can you try out a hearing aid. My audie rents them out, but it was a set brand.

As DNM said, the only way to know if it will help is to try them. If your current Audi won't let you try them, find someone else who will.

I'm not sure where to post this or if it is even appropriate in this forum. If it's not, please forgive me and maybe point me in the right direction.

I have had a profound loss in one ear since birth. The other ear, until recently, heard perfectly. After having my daughter, I first developed tinnitus in my hearing ear. Over 18 months later, I now have a mild conductive loss in that ear. I have heard different things, but the latest is that I may have Otosclerosis.

I recently started wearing a bicros which helps a lot. The audiologist told me that I would only hear distorted sounds if I tried to use a high powered hearing aid in my "deaf" ear. Is that a definite thing? I am only looking to possibly hear environmental sounds out of it. Thanks for any help you can give me
BiCROS could work, so could regular CROS. I have profound hearing loss in both ears and a CI in my right ear. I could use CROS but it would be better to just get a 2nd implant which is what I’m trying to do.

The audiologist told me that I would only hear distorted sounds if I tried to use a high powered hearing aid in my "deaf" ear. Is that a definite thing? I am only looking to possibly hear environmental sounds out of it. Thanks for any help you can give me

The short answer is the Audiologist is right.

Single sided deaf person here, as far as I know it's a congenital condition.

I've tried hearing aids and I could not understand language at all. Background sound? Sure, I could even recognise a few sounds and discern it's location (a bit).

The biggest problem for me was that the sound from the hearing aid would leak into my good ear and it impeded my hearing on my better side.

At the moment I plan to get a cochlear implant on my bad side and try to learn with that side.

Back