Hearing Aid Finally!!!

2 more days til i pick my ha and get my mold done!:)

Here is what I tell all my patients to expect when I first fit them with a hearing aid (I treat everyone as if I was fitting my mother or my father).

1. I cannot give you back what god gave you, if I could I'd have a line out my door.
2. I cannot give you back normal hearing.
3. A hearing aid is exactly what the name implys, it's an aid.

Now the fitting process takes about an hour. This is where the audiologist will go over how to clean the HA and EM, change the battery, what batteries the HA uses and where to get them. How to manipulate the controls and make sure you can insert and remove the aid yourself. He/she should have the hearing aid already programmed before you get there (first fit), but should also hook you up to the computer to make sure your happy with the way it sounds. Any adjectives or descriptive words you can give him/her, the better they can adjust the hearing aid (tinny, hollow, echo,). Both for speech coming in, as well as your voice. If you simply say, "It just doesn't sound right", you could be there all day, because "It doesn't sound right" can mean an infinite number of things.

Every audiologist's fitting style is different. Some love to give you 3 programs, a volume control, ect. Today's hearings aid were really meant to be fit as automatic as possible, put it in your ear and go. Now with you mild hearing loss, that is exactly how I'd set it up. Let the HA do everything for you (some have auto t-coils that detect the FM system automatically). For someone with a severe to profound loss, they have likely worn hearing aids for so long that taking away their volume wheel is like removing their right leg. :lol: I try to make it as easy on the patient as possible. If the patient does want multiple programs, I will add the 2nd or 3rd after two weeks. To start I simply want them focused on getting use to wearing the hearing aid day to day, not on when they have to hit a button and in which environment.

Basically, my best advice to you is be patient and have realistic expectations. If you have both, you'll do great.

So i got my mold done...it was a little weird lol...felt funny a bit..lol so i dunno wat color ha im gonna get black or silver i dont think beige tho..but we will see..Im either getting the new phonak Una or the phonak extra...I find out 2morrow and i should get my ha in 2 weeks:)

I was never embarrassed about the whistling. I'd just simply explain if someone looks at me and lets me know that it's whistling or asks me why it is doing so. Now a days it hardly ever whistles unless I'm about due for a new ear mold, one sign of when I need to get it replaced. lol.
I myself can't hear the whistling when the hearing aid is in my ear but when it's out and still on, I can hear it. Strange, eh?

Alicia:
I suggest the extra rather than the una, it will give you more versatility especially if your loss is progressive.

Alicia:
I suggest the extra rather than the una, it will give you more versatility especially if your loss is progressive.

I'll go out on a limb and say there may be some financial reasons for going with the Una. Likewise, power is the same between the two, so if she does have a progressive loss it shouldn't matter. The extra just has some added bells and whistles, that's all.

Last edited:
ya, it is the money thing, its not too bad but its only my mom and i and insurance won't pay for the whole thing only 500 of it...so ya..but the una is really all i need for now..my hearing loss shouldn't get any worse and if it does then i can cross that bridge at a later date lol

ya, it is the money thing, its not too bad but its only my mom and i and insurance won't pay for the whole thing only 500 of it...so ya..but the una is really all i need for now..my hearing loss shouldn't get any worse and if it does then i can cross that bridge at a later date lol

You might want to contact Division of Vocational Rehabilitation in your county, DVR for short. They help people especially students that fall within a income limit. It wouldn't hurt to check it out.

we have something like that here called OSAP but im still waiting to hear back from them...

I still haven't got my HA yet:pissed: i was supposed to get it by now...i didnt think the mold took that long!

I still haven't got my HA yet:pissed: i was supposed to get it by now...i didnt think the mold took that long!

Did you call your audi to find out when your ear mold will be ready? Hopefully it won't take too much longer! :)

i couldnt call 2day since it was a civic holiday in canada since it was canada day yesterday ...but definitely 2morrow i will call to see wats goin on..

Sorry to hear you have to wait so long.it s funny that the molds should take longer than getting a HA.Mine took 2 weeks but I hear things are a little slower in Canada.Hope it works well for you I had a terible time as I had a defective one.Of course how would I have known since it was the first one I was depended on.Was put on a CI list and everything,thats how I found out my Ha was defective. I Never want anyone to go through what I did.

Back