hearie w/ ASL questions

alextree

Reaction score
(can I call myself hearie?)

Hi,
I'm trying to learn ASL. I used to have many deaf/HoH friends but now I'm in a different city and the only translators I know use more like signed english. Would anyone be willing to answer a question for me?

How do you sign names in ASL? Are there certain signs that always mean the same name? Are they always fingerspelled? I'm trying to translate (very badly) civil rights songs into ASL for a history class, and I need to know the names of several people from the Bible (Paul and Silas). Do I just fingerspell them every time?

thank you for any help you can give,
alex

alextree said:
(can I call myself hearie?)

Hi,
I'm trying to learn ASL. I used to have many deaf/HoH friends but now I'm in a different city and the only translators I know use more like signed english. Would anyone be willing to answer a question for me?

How do you sign names in ASL? Are there certain signs that always mean the same name? Are they always fingerspelled? I'm trying to translate (very badly) civil rights songs into ASL for a history class, and I need to know the names of several people from the Bible (Paul and Silas). Do I just fingerspell them every time?

thank you for any help you can give,
alex

Depends on the name, I guess. You can ask if a person has a sign name, otherwise fingerspelling the name is acceptable.

I don't know bible stuff...I lost my holy book somewhere along the road...:shrug:

Good luck, and if you need any help, lemme know!

Malfoyish

first off :wave: welcome to AD alextree :)

to answer ur question -- i dont think u would have to fingerspell every name in the book -- u can come up with name signs for each character -- thats 1 suggestion i have :D

Back