Health insurance for a Deaf person?

Liza

Reaction score
Which is the best health care provider for a Deaf person in USA? Do you have good experience and get what you need from your health insurance? What are bad insurance companies to avoid?

We do have our own Health insurance ourselves under Ontario Health Card.
I have no idea about US citizen... whoever have their own health insurance.. *hmmm*

Health insurance varies from state to state but for my state, I am very happy with Kaiser Permanate...they always provide interpreters and believes strongly in health education/prevention, not waiting until last minute to get it "fixed".

Kaiser Permante covers many different states so you might want to look into that.

I don't think any healthcare is the best because for one, most of them do not provide coverage for hearing aids or ear molds mostly CI, second, a lot of us can not afford the cost of health care and prescription drugs, third we can't seem to choose our own health care instead of government or our jobs choosing it for us and it not the healthcare that doesn't provide interpreters, it the hospitals or the doctors offices that some of us go to that doesn't provide them since some of them are not familiar with the ADA laws or not aware that some of us have hearing, or speech impairments that substantially limit the ability to communicate.....I had Kaiser Permanente coverage during my first marriage I did have problems getting an interpreter and devices when I was staying overnight at Kaiser...I did filed a complaint against Kaiser after staying more than several days at the hospital, they did send me an apology letter in the mail and also stating that they will make sure this will not happen again to any other patient like myself that required interpreters and devices that will help us and also to train the staffs as well too, so they will be familiar with what we need etc....

I do have a health care insurance but I'm not that happy with it, that's all I'm gonna to say on that :-X

Which is the best health care provider for a Deaf person in USA? Do you have good experience and get what you need from your health insurance? What are bad insurance companies to avoid?

Not all insurance was good. I don't know if you are working or not. If you do, your employer have the options for the insurance. Some companies have sereral to choose from or they only have one. My company pay 80% and I only have to pay 20% for the monthly premium. All I have to pay $5 dollar for genric medicine, 20% brand name. Deductiable is $500.

Some company paid 100% and some says your reponsible to pay full of the premium. In US, it will be expensive to get your own insurance without employer.

My insurance does not cover on hearing aids and ear mold. I have to pay my own pocket. It sucks! I just paid $1500 to get new hearing aid this year and lucky i get finance to pay monthly payment with no interest for a year.

Not all insurance cover for hearing aids and earmold. It depends.

I'm sorry, but I never heard of insurance plan for deaf person. It just depends what the deaf person has....if he/she has a job, then they get benefits depending what kind of company they're working for. Health insurance for low income, whoever has SSI/SSDI gets medicare/medicaid coverage. Everyone gets the same health insurance depending on their preference. There is no such thing as health insurance for a deaf person. Health care companies don't care if you're deaf or not, you get the same thing, depending on what they cover for your needs.

I have heard Prudential covers CI stuff.
Not that I'll get CI :) Just hit up on that in google.

Sequoias: Maybe I should have asked about the most Deaf-friendly health insurance in USA, not one that IS suited for Deaf people's needs altho I have insurance that covers my hearing aids, so there should be something like that in USA. So - Just the lesser of all the evils, okay? ;) Kaiser seems like a possibility, since they provide interps and stuff. So sorry, Angel, that you are having insurance troubles.. those suck...

I have heard Prudential covers CI stuff.
Not that I'll get CI :) Just hit up on that in google.

Sequoias: Maybe I should have asked about the most Deaf-friendly health insurance in USA, not one that IS suited for Deaf people's needs altho I have insurance that covers my hearing aids, so there should be something like that in USA. So - Just the lesser of all the evils, okay? ;) Kaiser seems like a possibility, since they provide interps and stuff. So sorry, Angel, that you are having insurance troubles.. those suck...

Yeah, It is hard to find a good insurance that will cover hearing aids. My insurance can cover it but my work's benefits don't have the coverage for it.

I have yet to see an insurance carrier that has a significant coverage for hearing aids/ molds. It just doesn't happen in USA. I feel a referendum on ADA laws should be added so that all of who need these can have some coverage and assistance. Insurance it getting worse and worse in coverage and higher and higher in patient out of pocket over time and will likely get worse before it gets better.

We do have our own Health insurance ourselves under Ontario Health Card.
I have no idea about US citizen... whoever have their own health insurance.. *hmmm*

Yes, the health insurances are obligation here in Germany, other EU countries and Canada but I would like to ask you a question.

Do you have different healthy insurances companies in Canada, you can choose? We have several different Health insurances here in Germany, we can compare % and change insurances if we like to. I changed health insurance twice and happy with last insurance for over 11 years now. Yes I carry health card with me if any case, emergency, etc.

But I really have no idea about insurance for the Deaf :dunno:

Yes, the health insurances are obligation here in Germany, other EU countries and Canada but I would like to ask you a question.

Do you have different healthy insurances companies in Canada, you can choose? We have several different Health insurances here in Germany, we can compare % and change insurances if we like to. I changed health insurance twice and happy with last insurance for over 11 years now. Yes I carry health card with me if any case, emergency, etc.

yes me too!
nope, I never heard about this insurance for the deaf.

I have insurance that covers my hearing aids, so there should be something like that in USA. So - ...

Really? what's the name of your insurance carrier that does cover for hearing aids?

Really? what's the name of your insurance carrier that does cover for hearing aids?

Liza is in Norway.

Yes I am surprised that she had insurance to cover for hearing aid which mine doesn't.

Liza is in Norway.

Yes I am surprised that she had insurance to cover for hearing aid which mine doesn't.

God me too, I've been wanted that kind of insurance... same here mine doesn't cover it either :(

Liza is in Norway.

In my country, insurance covers part of hearing aid and molds cost.. it's too bad if most of insurance companies doesn't cover hearing aid and molds costs in USA.

I thought most insurances do cover hearing aids and CI but depend on what state. For example, Florida does not accept it meanwhile NJ does accept it. Thats werid.

I'm a member of Hørselshemmedes Landsforbund (HLF), a special interest organization, which does a group insurance thing for hearing aids and stuff like that for all members. The link is Hørselhemmedes Landsforbund - I think the english translation of HLF is: hearing impaireds' federation, but maybe someone here can do a more accurate translation. The website is only in norwegian. This insurance is not part of my normal health insurance..

Maybe there is an organization like that in USA that does stuff like that for hearing aids and all.

Well I got my health insurance through the SSI, but that's in Washington state.

Quite good question Liebling...
Okay now
Here's url...
Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - Public Information - Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP)

but not pay for coverage an interpreter.. Hospital have to pay their own pocket expense for Deaf patient.

ain't fun.. I've been there struggle w/stupid hospital who hard-headed not bring an interpreter.. I warn them.. if you not doing it for treating deaf patient.. I'll be very happy lawsuit against you.. I did show the card.. wanna care? They gulped.. and contact an interpreter.. finally come here.. as far I know hospital really quite greedy for their own funds expense on an interpreter.

An Interpreter was very happy pleasant w/us.. (chuckles)
I don't give hospital damn.. make sure hospital must respect Deaf patient as well equal with other hearing patient..

Health card isn't coverage for CI.. depend the case... Unless if you have own insurance willing pay half of it.. then Health card willing help funds grant to you..
That's all their policy..
Pretty different than other countries and us or else.. depend vary their own health insurance.

Back