Headset options for kids - bte has

Alexmom

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for a headset that's compatible for my 2+ year old who is wearing BTE hearing aids. I've asked my audiologist and waiting for her recommendations. Wanted to hear your experiences from personal use. We are going on road trip and she has a tablet which she loves to play puzzles and games and watch a couple of cartoons. Thanks!

Or do you know of an online support group for parents with deaf/hard of hearing kid.

Hmm.. I've not fiddled with headsets in a LONG time as some are uncomfortable to fit over the hearing aids. For me I use a Direct Audio Input cord coupled with FM boots to listen to music etc. If you'd like the site where I got it let me know. They may or may not have headphones there.

Like DD, I haven't found headphones and BTE aids to be comfortable. Also, even at full volume it is hard for me to hear anything yet everyone around me is complaining about the noise.

I am not sure if this is appropriate for a 2 year old but what works for me is a personal FM loop. I use this: http://www.harriscomm.com/maxi-personal-amplifier-from-bellman-symfon-with-neckloop.html

You can buy just the loop or you can buy it with the personal amplifier. The amplifier comes with a 25ft cable to connect to the tv or other audio system so I can crank it up without disturbing others. The loop plugs into any standard headphone jack - iphone, tablet, computer, etc.

I have analog hearing aids with a T-coil. If your daughter is using bluetooth compatible aids I think they make a bluetooth version.

The loop has a breakaway safety feature so if you get the neckloop caught on something it has a disconnecting point to keep you from getting strangled. The connector just snaps back together to put it back in working order.

Thank you both, a good start to my search. I understand headsets not the best option. DD, I would love to have the link. We have a long road trip coming up we have 3 kids the other 2 hearing kids have headsets with their tablets to reduce noise in the car. FYI The audiologist recommends Roger accessories the same brand as her phonak BTE.

Will do, I'll dig my link(s) out of my bookmarks today. :)

Back