HDTV and Closed Captioning

those two panasonic models aren't blu-ray though.

my HDTV (sony bravia 46") came with a free samsung blu-ray player. I bought the TV in December, but I haven't watched a blu-ray movie yet. I just bought an HDMI cable last week but I have not hooked it up yet. Reading thru this thread, I guess when I do connect the BR player to the TV with the hdmi cable, captions on my old DVDs will not work.
I have been using Component cables so far, but captions do not work over them either if I have my TV component input set at 1080 resolution. However, if i set the component input on my TV to standard 480 resolution, captions work fine.

Nice... what a waste of money all this was.

note: I may have posted at alldeaf before, but I'm not sure... sorry if I double posted.

edit: yes, I just searched and I found an old thread with mostly the same comments.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is concerned that consumers may experience difficulty in receiving and/or viewing closed captioning on some digital television (HDTV) programming, including high definition television (HDTV), provided by a subscription television provider, such as a cable company or a satellite television provider. These difficulties generally could arise from two causes: 1) the consumer’s set-top box and/or HDTV are not properly set to allow closed captions to be displayed; or 2) there are technical problems with the subscription television provider’s system that prevent closed captions from being received and decoded by the set-top box and/or HDTV.

You get CC through HTDV the same way you get it through analog. It just depends on the source of the TV station.

If you are using HD cable TV, you must turn on CC at the cable box and keep it turned off on your TV set. Use only the cable box to adjust the CC. This can be done by going into the cable box setup and setting it to CC1.

If you are using an over the air antenna, you need to turn on CC on your HD TV itself. This can be done by going into the TV setup.

You get CC through HTDV the same way you get it through analog. It just depends on the source of the TV station.

If you are using HD cable TV, you must turn on CC at the cable box and keep it turned off on your TV set. Use only the cable box to adjust the CC. This can be done by going into the cable box setup and setting it to CC1.

If you are using an over the air antenna, you need to turn on CC on your HD TV itself. This can be done by going into the TV setup.

That's correct. HDMI doesn't have a capability to carry "invisible" CC unlike S-Video or composite cables so the source (HD cable/satellite box) has to have a built-in CC decoder in order to use HDMI and watch digital CC which is overlayed on video signal.

The disadvantage of Blu-Ray players with HDMI connection for 1080p display is that they have no built-in CC decoder but thank God, most of the Blu-Ray discs have subtitles.

Back