HDTV and Closed Captioning

it sounds like most people here have a cable connection of some sort. i only have the tv that have the digital tuner built in, and the cc sucks, it goes in and out, sometimes its there sometimes its not...is there anything i can do to make it stay on? its like i get half the show thats cc and then the other have isn't...
and i recently found a dvd that doesn't have subtitles and the cc on the tv wont work (i normally have the tv cc the movies i watch, i prefer it to the dvds cc), but even with this dvd i couldn't find a place where it would enable cc?

Hello, I had the same problem when trying to watch a DVD without closed captioning. I am not sure if your dvd player is part of the tv. My tv has built in DVD player. It won't disply CC when playing from DVD so I bought a cheap cd player and a RF modulator. It allowed me to watch DVD through tv input which the CC works. If you can find a DVD player with cable output, that should work fine.

Closed captions from Directv HD plus DVR

Hello there,
I brought the LG plasma Tv couples weeks ago. The closed captions was fine with my old directv receiver. So I upgrade to new HD plus DVR from directv. The closed captions was not working with HDMI cable. I have trying to find out why it not working. So on the display list from directv and TV option, press yellow button. It have the closed captions option, so i turn it on from the remote. I love it. Just go to the menu on the set up options and it have different font size, color, and etc. I have no problem with it for a week.
:ty:

Just wondering... since I don't have HDTV hooked up to HD cable/Dish/DirecTV, what does the closed caption look like?

frustrated with CC and HDTV channels

To All,
Does anyone know who we should contact in FCC agency about resolving the issue of "EXTREMELY POOR" CC on HDTV channels. CC seems to work well only on NON-HDTV channels. But guess what, in less than 50 days there will only be HDTV channels.

There has to be someone out there (in government) that has noticed this problem. But, it looks like they have not resolved this issue. I hope there is a solution to this and soon. Please let me know how I can contact someone in FCC to fix this issue. We may have to file some type of suite through the ACLU about this.

Donna

To All,
Does anyone know who we should contact in FCC agency about resolving the issue of "EXTREMELY POOR" CC on HDTV channels. CC seems to work well only on NON-HDTV channels. But guess what, in less than 50 days there will only be HDTV channels.

There has to be someone out there (in government) that has noticed this problem. But, it looks like they have not resolved this issue. I hope there is a solution to this and soon. Please let me know how I can contact someone in FCC to fix this issue. We may have to file some type of suite through the ACLU about this.

Donna

You need to file complaint to FCC or to your local TV station.

FCC's Tips on filing CC complaint for further information on filing complaint.

I hope it helps. :)

HDTV CC issues are most likely from your local stations. In the past, I have contacted at least three different local stations about my HDTV CC issues and they have resolved them. It took me six months to convice one local station the problem was coming from them, not my TV and they finally fixed it.

Please be diplomatic with your local stations. Kindly describe the problem you are having. Currently, I am having a minor HDTV CC issue with one local station and I plan to use my camcorder and record HDTV CC issues and send an movie file (MPEG format) to them so they can see exactly the problem I am seeing.

Peter

Using my camcorder, I made a video recording of my TV showing "Cold Case" that has minor HDTV CC issue. I converted the video tape to WMV file and e-mailed the file to my local CBS station. The station manager said the HDTV CC issue is a nationwide problem and he forwarded my WMV file to CBS headquarter.

Maybe you can do the same thing. We need more people filing HDTV CC complaints to their local stations so that CC is resolved before analog broadcasts get cut off.

Thanks,
Peter

CC are stripped before it passed thur HDMI or upconvert Compoment cables so you can't get CC on HDTV unless DirectTV box have built in CC (HDTV DirectTV box does have it built in) or HDTV Cable box have built in CC that you will need to enable before it is sent to the HDTV via HDMI or upconvert Compoment.

Stupid move by the FCC to allow this on HDMI and upconvert Compoment.

Since there is no upconvert dvd player that could decode CC and we are currently stuck with old DVD player and HDTV TV if we want to watch the standard DVD discs unless you built a HTPC computer which I did and it allow me to upcovert my movies with CC and pass it out HDMI or Compoment.

I am total agree with you, I am in same shoe as you. Only way to stop them are to regroup of us to sign up send to government to show them that we do not satisfactory with this process. also FCC need some adjust so the company will follow up.

Sorry, but no. You didn't enable the CC signal to go through the HDMI cable. What you did was enable the TV receiver to decode the signal internally, then overlay the CC onto the video and send it through the HDMI cable as an image. Your HDTV is still not receiving the CC signal.

HDMI cables cannot carry the CC signal at all.

You are correct. line21 cannot go through the hdmi cable.

I think i'm going to keep using this old analog TV until they fix closed captioning lol

That's good question, do you? unless we have to do something.

I don't have to keep this old analog tv I just simply choose too. What's the alternative anyways, broken or missing closed captioning on hdtvs or a tv that will caption without any problems?

I am total agree with you, I am in same shoe as you. Only way to stop them are to regroup of us to sign up send to government to show them that we do not satisfactory with this process. also FCC need some adjust so the company will follow up.

The government wont fix this and even if they did it would take years to implement the fix.

Finally after research google. I found and I enable CC on charter remote menu button. Now HDMI has closed captioned with HD!!

However some channel which does not have HD the CC got so big letters and over the size of tv screen. I had to resize smaller inorder to see CC full. CC works great when have HD. HDNBC, HDCBS, HBOHD. ABC does not have HD available in charter.

Anyone can tell me is Direct TV better than Charter for HDMI with CC? ABC with HD available in Direct TV?

Thank you for sharing,
MM:wave:

There is no way CC work from the TV to the device by HDMI which I believe you turn on some kind of device has CC decode build in and it print on the picture and send through HDMI to TV. By the way, most of deaf people who love technology told me and I research on HDMI and it is not support the signal (frequencies) from device to TV make (CC) function and again HDMI is not support at all. Which we can stand up and fight with government to setup the new rule for FCC that all companies will stuck and follow up.

I have Dish Network HDTV ViP222 and Element 15" 1080i. I am aware of the digital caption being turned on from the receiver. I noticed not all channels has captions. For instance, foxnews doesn't have cc while CNN has cc. A&E doesn't while HBO2 does. I thought about switching the receiver to SDTV instead of HDTV so I can watch all of those cc. There isn't much HDTV channels anyway. Does anyone know a way to resolve this?

I was watching FOX News and I turned on Closed Caption on SDTV. That's really sucks they forgot to turn on Closed Caption on HDTV for some channels.

Concerned about our future TV hookup in Feb

We have 2 TVs. The one we will be replacing is about 20 yrs old, so it can't do closed captioning. I have been excited about the replacement, a Samsung 46" LCD HDTV that Best Buy is going to wall mount Feb 24th. That is when the TV comes in. I bought the HDMI cable. On Feb 4th, we switch from Surewest Everest to AT&T. AT&T assured me closed captioning will be there with their service. On Feb 4th, they are going to replace my Linksys router with their own AT&T router, and connect my laptops and my HDTV that I currently own that is only a few years old. At end of Feb, At&T will come back after the wall mounted Samsung LCD HDTV is installed to make sure everything is working with new TV. I am thinking about asking both Best Buy and AT&T to send technitions that are very experienced with closed captioning. I don't want to be mounting a $1,000 LCD HDTV and not be happy with closed captioning.

Would you advise me any differently?

We have 2 TVs. The one we will be replacing is about 20 yrs old, so it can't do closed captioning. I have been excited about the replacement, a Samsung 46" LCD HDTV that Best Buy is going to wall mount Feb 24th. That is when the TV comes in. I bought the HDMI cable. On Feb 4th, we switch from Surewest Everest to AT&T. AT&T assured me closed captioning will be there with their service. On Feb 4th, they are going to replace my Linksys router with their own AT&T router, and connect my laptops and my HDTV that I currently own that is only a few years old. At end of Feb, At&T will come back after the wall mounted Samsung LCD HDTV is installed to make sure everything is working with new TV. I am thinking about asking both Best Buy and AT&T to send technitions that are very experienced with closed captioning. I don't want to be mounting a $1,000 LCD HDTV and not be happy with closed captioning.

Would you advise me any differently?

Umm... Just have AT&T send their guys over to get your AT&T cable CC turn on (not TV). You will have to expect that there are some shows that will not show CC - especially local news.

If you're going to hook up your DVD player to your HDTV, just use S-video and CC will still work on your TV (with TV's CC turn on).

Using my camcorder, I made a video recording of my TV showing "Cold Case" that has minor HDTV CC issue. I converted the video tape to WMV file and e-mailed the file to my local CBS station. The station manager said the HDTV CC issue is a nationwide problem and he forwarded my WMV file to CBS headquarter.

Maybe you can do the same thing. We need more people filing HDTV CC complaints to their local stations so that CC is resolved before analog broadcasts get cut off.

Thanks,
Peter

Hey could you upload that file to

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

so other people can send it to there local station.

They might be able to fix HDMI or a work around fix. Why not have one wire in the HDMI be analog then use that info to over lay Closed Caption. They could have used another wire for Closed Caption like another RCA jack?

Any way I do not see HDMI being fixed at all. Reason for that they always updating HDMI from 1.0. 1.2. 1.3. 1.3a and so on.

If they did fix it and let's say it got fixed in 1.4 you would need a DVD player that was HDMI 1.4 and a TV set that was 1.4

The only real fix I can see happening with the government is have hard encoding of Closed Caption.

Back