HDMI and Component/HDTV not support captioning?

No, it has never changed. The decoding is done by the last item in the chain (in most cases by the TV itself).

Right now I have DishNetwork using their HD receiver, and with that the receiver is the part that decodes the CC, and sends it over the HDMI to the TV. It is not perfect (the SD channels get good CC, but some of the HD channels the CC can be jumpy).

Same happened to me through the cable line to my HDTV's captioning.
I wish HD captioning should be fixed right away or sooner than later. :ugh:

Last edited:
hdmi with CC working?

yes it was working. i have LCD 42" widescreen, hook up with dishtv with dvr and HD too...dishtv box come with hdmi to my 42" widescreen. it's has double hdmi and hdmi 2. i was glad everything great with CC.. CNNHD, SICFICHD, and more come with CC perfect whew. i just brought right one 2 years ago.

So much for HDMI being so advanced in bringing picture clarity with its massive amount of data yet cannot manage to bring a teensy textual data with it?!?!

I used 42" Samsung HDTV with Comcast Sci-Atl HDTV STB and I was turn on CC from Sci-Atl STB through HDMI, I have PS3 Blu-ray drive has built-in Subtitle for the Hearing Impaired

but Samsung 42" has built-in CC (line 21) or Digital CC (EIA-708 customized CC) is only regular cable tv (without STB) or OTA for digital or analog

TimeWarner with high def channels

I order the service last weekend and to my surprise the captioning wasn't being send from the box to my sony lcd with neither the HDMI nor the 5 wire component that they gave me. Only with a s-video, 3 wire component or coax. Of course I don't get the full high def picture. But I do get CCs:hmm:I then tried my 1 year old sony dvd player all the component wires (s-video, 3 and 5 wire) and all work just fine. So I'm convinced that the problem is with the box. After a wile of research I managed to access the menu on the box that comes out when its off. I turn on the captions in the box and there they are Closed Captions on all HD channels.

Activating CC on the Time Warner Motorola DVR

Hey guys, here's the button sequence to enable Closed Captions on your Time Warner DVR box with HDMI connection to your TV:

"cable" > master power > menu

[yes, you actually turn the cable box off, & then hit menu...]

At this point, on the DVR display itself, "4:3L" appears. If it doesn't, punch "menu" again.

A white screen titled "User Settings" appears. Scroll down to "closed caption" (5 lines down) and push the select button on the remote. Closed Caption status will change from "disabled" to "enabled".

Captions will appear at the top of the tv screen (a bummer) and engaging CC in this way necessitates losing the ability to "rewind" to see what you missed. It's possible that hitting "record" will solve that problem if the DVR will store recordings in "off" mode.

Back