Have you had any GOOD experiences with VRI especially in hospital?

pixiestix

Reaction score
To be honest, I am growing weary of seeing so many vlogs and negative comments on VRIs especially in a hospital setting.

I have not had any bad experiences with VRI at all and I have used it several times at the Urgent Care with no problems.

IF you don't like having VRI then why are you using VRS? If you hate VRI so much, then don't use VRS!

In my experiences with using VRI, it was really great, and a big time saver. I didn't have to wait a long time for the interpreter to finally show up. Some medical care cannot wait such as heart attack, or a severe wound, etc. I went to Urgent care in early 2014 for a bad cough, I was pleased to see that they had VRI on and waiting for me. When I was told to have a seat waiting to be called in, I about sat down when I got called in. I was really impressed with the timing. I was there only 45 minutes counting the time being examined, talking to doctor and going to pharmacy to pick up my meds. I had bronchitis. Id rather have the VRI than waiting 1-3 hours for an interpreter to show up.

In the several times the VRI was used, it was all good experience, the screen was bigger than a typical computer, on cart, adjustable, no freezing at all, really smooth sailing. One other time in urgent care I was in there for some issues after my major surgery, they had VRI ready, I was laying down, they either adjusted the screen so I could see, or they adjusted my bed to help me see. In between the times of doctors/nurses coming to talk to me, they will turn off VRI , and turn on again when coming back. Easy peasy.

Seriously, VRI can really be a time saver when an interpreter is needed in a hurry and better than waiting 1-3 hours for a live interpreter.

Please post your POSITIVE vri experiences. Hopefully for those that had constant freezing issues, hopefully that will be sorted and ironed out. I do know that everyone in urgent care dept are trained to use/troubleshoot the VRI and call help desk for support if needed.

Just wanted to share and add good positive comments on VRI.

Please don't hate VRI! Give it a chance. I know we have right to have an actual interpreter, but would you be willing to wait 2-3 hours if you are having chest pains and it could be a heart attack, so are you willing to risk death waiting for an interpreter. Think about it.

Goodnight.

Pix.

My friend's post on Facebook:

Soooooo.......today I went in for my check up with the doctor and of course, I requested a female interpreter. When I arrived, there wasn't an interpreter in sight but they had a VRI (Video Remote Interpreter) on site....and I thought, "great, here we go." I didn't want to miss another day of work again just to reschedule so I went ahead with it. Needless to say, the experience was baffling. Lying down while you're having a pap smear and trying to sign to the interpreter on the screen=No, thank you. It was awkward and unnecessary. ‪#‎realtalk‬

I've yet to see a VRI...and do undy about waiting for an interpreter....

I've not seen a VRI anywhere I've gone- and I've been to quite a few places in the last year including an Urgent Care (to fair I didn't think they'd have one anyway). I had a live interpreter for 1 appointment (and that's a whole other story...wasn't entirely impressed with the 'terp but was impressed the office set up the interpreter on their own once they knew I'm deaf).

I have experienced at ss office using VRI few times. My wife did balk once and I told her wait and see... now she realized its worth it. Whats nice about ss VRI is they actually provided two terps, one is rrgular, and secondary is CDI. I think having cdi is worth it. CDI is Certified Deaf Interpreter whoss translate from Engljsh into true ASL, omg much easier to undrrstand. So, having VRI has one big advantage, that is no waiting period.

my wife used VRI the last time. The VRI interpreter is skilled at medical interpreting.

Back