Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Ineffective, the sounds are difficult to interpret

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Ineffective, the implantation failed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a cochlear implant

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
Same! I kind of got rude on the other thread going all-hell-unleashed about her consistently attacking people who are mostly oral. :S

tom,what if your CI broke? What if you're not in a perfect listening sitution? You'd be completely LOST............there's no "freedom in listening and talking" as AG Bell claims......you're CI DEPENDENT.......

I am currently learning how to hear thru my CI after losing my hearing in my right ear 2 years ago. I have had 3 maps so far, doing listening training with software given to my by my audio and have used angel sound etc. I now listen to pod casts which is helping greatly :)
I wear my CI for 18 hours a day. I'm determined to force my brain to compensate as it is indeed a new way of hearing for the brain and it must learn how to hear in this manner. In saying that, it is amazing. I never thought I would ever hear thru my right ear again. As each week passes the sounds are getting more clear and less distorted.
I have been amazed how some things sound almost EXACTLY the same thru my CI as to normal hearing like water running, little crickets chirping outside at night and some bird sounds!

I now wait until December for my audio to return from a conference in India and to get my NEW processor which is the Cochlear Nucleus 6. I currently have a Nucleus Freedom on loan from them. The Australian government had only just finally put the Nucleus 6 on the approved prosthesis list so my health insurance will now cover it :)

At the end of the day I knew what to expect as I listened on YouTube to recreations of what CI's sound like and it is very accurate. I went into the operation considering the cochlear implant to 'improve my communication, NOT replace my natural hearing'. However the longer I wear it the closer it seems to come towards normal hearing and I am so happy it has worked for me :D

Same! I kind of got rude on the other thread going all-hell-unleashed about her consistently attacking people who are mostly oral. :S

You remind me of conservative women who act all offended and are anti feminist,when feminist women try to explain how they are opressed.....Instead of realizing that yes, they've bought into the patriarchy, they attack the feminists.

I am currently learning how to hear thru my CI after losing my hearing in my right ear 2 years ago. I have had 3 maps so far, doing listening training with software given to my by my audio and have used angel sound etc. I now listen to pod casts which is helping greatly :)
I wear my CI for 18 hours a day. I'm determined to force my brain to compensate as it is indeed a new way of hearing for the brain and it must learn how to hear in this manner. In saying that, it is amazing. I never thought I would ever hear thru my right ear again. As each week passes the sounds are getting more clear and less distorted.
I have been amazed how some things sound almost EXACTLY the same thru my CI as to normal hearing like water running, little crickets chirping outside at night and some bird sounds!

I now wait until December for my audio to return from a conference in India and to get my NEW processor which is the Cochlear Nucleus 6. I currently have a Nucleus Freedom on loan from them. The Australian government had only just finally put the Nucleus 6 on the approved prosthesis list so my health insurance will now cover it :)

At the end of the day I knew what to expect as I listened on YouTube to recreations of what CI's sound like and it is very accurate. I went into the operation considering the cochlear implant to 'improve my communication, NOT replace my natural hearing'. However the longer I wear it the closer it seems to come towards normal hearing and I am so happy it has worked for me :D

Thank you so much for sharing!

That is nice hear you good for you cheer! sound you can hear work? :lol:

some of those oral deaf peeps who have been through HELL and want to share their experiences about oral. I feel them, and witnessed some of them how their parents did treat them. OH MY GOD>

What DeafDyke is doing is not sharing her experiences. What she is doing making sweeping statements about anyone and everyone who uses HAs and CIs and oral languages. I'm not against her doing the first, I'm against her doing the second and doing it every-****ing-where. Deal with it.

tom,what if your CI broke? What if you're not in a perfect listening sitution? You'd be completely LOST............there's no "freedom in listening and talking" as AG Bell claims......you're CI DEPENDENT.......

I don't know what or who AG Bell is, I am not an American.
But there is freedom in listening and talking, just as there is freedom in signing. Do you know why? Because either means allows us to communicate freely with others.
And also - my CI would be replaced in a matter of weeks, and I'd just be lipreading and using my HA. Life isn't governed by "what ifs."

You remind me of conservative women who act all offended and are anti feminist,when feminist women try to explain how they are opressed.....Instead of realizing that yes, they've bought into the patriarchy, they attack the feminists.

Lmao. You remind me of the "activists" gay guys and lesbians who have to let everything about themselves be defined by their sexuality and call themselves "queers" and cannot leave the rest of us alone. I remember one time that one girl (with purple hair and 5th hand clothing) insisted that I had to vote for a left leaning party just because I'm gay and have to vote for the one with the most gay reps!?

What DeafDyke is doing is not sharing her experiences.\

Tomm, this is exactly the point I wanted to bring up. She has always been very vague on her personal experiences to the point where I suspect she may not even be deaf, but rather an interpreter or Deaf-wanna-be. At most, she declares herself as "hard-of-hearing," but with no real details on the degree of loss. If someone is claiming to be HOH, I'm going to guess they have enough hearing that is actually useful for communication.

I find it highly suspect that someone who claims to be HOH and does not have to rely on ASL/Interpreters pushes it so hard and dismisses the value in hearing when it's not something she has to deal with.

Guys: What many of you are missing is that people have different opinions. In the world, those difference of opinions are helpful and allow us to grow (or not, as is sometimes the case).

In terms of hearingjourney and happy pills, I saw the toning down of worried people about to embark on perhaps the biggest journey of their lives. I also saw remarks removed by the monitors at AB. So, they were absolutely toning down or eliminating opinions of people being scared or people expressing truly how they felt. What this does is covers the truth. I guess they needed to because they are trying to sell a project and do not want negative (including scared - which they obviously denoted as negative opinions).

There are no guarantees (despite what you may read) that the CI will be successful but some of the "marketing material" does just that. It's analogous to many, may years ago when Miracle Ear promised in advertisements that background noise would be removed. That commercial was forced off the air by the FTC.

All I wanted, prior to having surgery I knew could not be undone (unless it is rejected by my body) were facts.

Someone asked if there was followup after surgery. There is. If you are deaf and have never heard, you will need to learn (in essence) a new form of language. In my case, it's a matter of adjusting the "perceived sounds" of the electrodes. I am able to do that on my own. My speech and English are fine. My road ahead is easier than many. CIs are fabulous for a portion of the population. They can be mind-boggling and a waste for the other. (I know a deaf fellow who gave up after surgery. I know a hearing person who went deaf who gave up. The list is long and it's not in any poll or listed anywhere.) Therefore, I cannot deny the positive or negative outcome of a CI. They both exist.

It is all a process short for some, long for others. But what's fascinating (lol ... or not really) is how much of this process is kept from our eyes. Of course I understand the process for everyone is different and takes different time. Do NOT attempt to give me assurances it will all be fine in time. No one can predict that. I'm very glad it works so well for many - the implant, of course, but there are some number of people (like an 85 year old woman whose ENT told her to get an implant) where the odds are good it will simply not work.

For those of who who attack, I accept it as your nature and I will never attempt to change it. I cannot for change comes from within. For those of you who use logic and reason to look beyond, kudos.

I am not here to argue. I am here to point out simple and obvious truths. I will repeat it for the final time just because I type quickly. The poll is a great start but so many of you cannot even see that. Combined with much of the myopia here, it just isn't worth my time bothering with 99% of the people who are attacking. And, as one reviewer of websites stated, this is a likely outcome.

Congrats to so many of you. I'm done with the website. Ciao, kids.

Guys: What many of you are missing is that people have different opinions. In the world, those difference of opinions are helpful and allow us to grow (or not, as is sometimes the case).

In terms of hearingjourney and happy pills, I saw the toning down of worried people about to embark on perhaps the biggest journey of their lives. I also saw remarks removed by the monitors at AB. So, they were absolutely toning down or eliminating opinions of people being scared or people expressing truly how they felt. What this does is covers the truth. I guess they needed to because they are trying to sell a project and do not want negative (including scared - which they obviously denoted as negative opinions).

There are no guarantees (despite what you may read) that the CI will be successful but some of the "marketing material" does just that. It's analogous to many, may years ago when Miracle Ear promised in advertisements that background noise would be removed. That commercial was forced off the air by the FTC.

All I wanted, prior to having surgery I knew could not be undone (unless it is rejected by my body) were facts.

Someone asked if there was followup after surgery. There is. If you are deaf and have never heard, you will need to learn (in essence) a new form of language. In my case, it's a matter of adjusting the "perceived sounds" of the electrodes. I am able to do that on my own. My speech and English are fine. My road ahead is easier than many. CIs are fabulous for a portion of the population. They can be mind-boggling and a waste for the other. (I know a deaf fellow who gave up after surgery. I know a hearing person who went deaf who gave up. The list is long and it's not in any poll or listed anywhere.) Therefore, I cannot deny the positive or negative outcome of a CI. They both exist.

It is all a process short for some, long for others. But what's fascinating (lol ... or not really) is how much of this process is kept from our eyes. Of course I understand the process for everyone is different and takes different time. Do NOT attempt to give me assurances it will all be fine in time. No one can predict that. I'm very glad it works so well for many - the implant, of course, but there are some number of people (like an 85 year old woman whose ENT told her to get an implant) where the odds are good it will simply not work.

For those of who who attack, I accept it as your nature and I will never attempt to change it. I cannot for change comes from within. For those of you who use logic and reason to look beyond, kudos.

I am not here to argue. I am here to point out simple and obvious truths. I will repeat it for the final time just because I type quickly. The poll is a great start but so many of you cannot even see that. Combined with much of the myopia here, it just isn't worth my time bothering with 99% of the people who are attacking. And, as one reviewer of websites stated, this is a likely outcome.

Again, Sheri.. your protestations about HJ are incorrect. Failures, struggling, technical problems are all there. Did you consider the originator of the missing posts may have deleted them? It is really your own issues that are affecting your perception. You can make your proclamations all day long, but it doesn't make it true. I can start linking to posts you say have been deleted. Where is your evidence? You are making false-allegations.

Best wishes as you go about your journey. Hopefully, you'll learn some long-overdue lessons. You are too old to be going through life with the mentality of a 20 year old who thinks they have it all figured out.

ambrosia-albums-stuff-i-ve-posted-picture5965-486149-385814391499526-467726192-n.jpg

Tomm, this is exactly the point I wanted to bring up. She has always been very vague on her personal experiences to the point where I suspect she may not even be deaf, but rather an interpreter or Deaf-wanna-be. At most, she declares herself as "hard-of-hearing," but with no real details on the degree of loss. If someone is claiming to be HOH, I'm going to guess they have enough hearing that is actually useful for communication.

I find it highly suspect that someone who claims to be HOH and does not have to rely on ASL/Interpreters pushes it so hard and dismisses the value in hearing when it's not something she has to deal with.

Ugh. This reminds me of 'transablism' - one of those few things that make sick to your stomach reading about...

Choclear implants

I hard a choclear implant several years ago and Iit was disaster. It became infected and had to be taken out and replaced. Now ththe back of my ear where the surgery was blotched Iit is extremely tender to this day. I think this Dr was practicing on me.

Back