Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Ineffective, the sounds are difficult to interpret

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Ineffective, the implantation failed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a cochlear implant

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
BleedingPurist,WHY do you constantly attack people who dare to bring up the FACT....the FACT that CI effectiveness varies tremedously? We're not saying the CI does not work.....we're bringing up the FACT that CI effectiveness varies a LOT...There's nothing wrong with that....it's like bringing up the FACT that HA effectiveness varies a lot too...Yes, a lot of people (especially late deafned people) LOVE their CIs.....BUT, even the most effective user of CI STILL has a lot of aural limitations etc.......What percentage of CIers (or HAers for that matter) can function exactly like a hearing person with them? Even among late deafened people who use CIs,that number is VERY low.
They like the hearing it gives them.....BUT virtually ALL of them (including REALLY good users) STILL need ACCOMONDATIONS like FMs,soundfields,CART, etc etc etc,virtually all of which HEARING people do not need to use.....Technology is not and will NEVER be as good as nautral hearing....Hell,look at all the posts at HLAA from people desperate for a cure....b/c after all while CIs can be good, they still have SIGNIFICENT limitations...Heck there are even late deafened people who only get to moderate loss listening levels with CIs.......Saying that CIs do have significent limitations IS NOT saying that "they don't work".......It's just a FACT that the effectiveness of them vary tremendously...

BleedingPurist,WHY do you constantly attack people who dare to bring up the FACT....the FACT that CI effectiveness varies tremedously? We're not saying the CI does not work.....we're bringing up the FACT that CI effectiveness varies a LOT...There's nothing wrong with that....it's like bringing up the FACT that HA effectiveness varies a lot too...Yes, a lot of people (especially late deafned people) LOVE their CIs.....BUT, even the most effective user of CI STILL has a lot of aural limitations etc.......What percentage of CIers (or HAers for that matter) can function exactly like a hearing person with them? Even among late deafened people who use CIs,that number is VERY low.
They like the hearing it gives them.....BUT virtually ALL of them (including REALLY good users) STILL need ACCOMONDATIONS like FMs,soundfields,CART, etc etc etc,virtually all of which HEARING people do not need to use.....Technology is not and will NEVER be as good as nautral hearing....Hell,look at all the posts at HLAA from people desperate for a cure....b/c after all while CIs can be good, they still have SIGNIFICENT limitations...Heck there are even late deafened people who only get to moderate loss listening levels with CIs.......Saying that CIs do have significent limitations IS NOT saying that "they don't work".......It's just a FACT that the effectiveness of them vary tremendously...

And what exactly is your obsession with functioning exactly like a hearing person? You only the only person on this forum that even uses that phrase. It doesn't matter that HAs and CIs don't allow people to function EXACTLY like a hearing person. They are devices to HELP us hear period, at whatever level that may be, they're not a magic fix, we know that, you know that, so why are you forever harping on it?

And what exactly is your obsession with functioning exactly like a hearing person? You only the only person on this forum that even uses that phrase. It doesn't matter that HAs and CIs don't allow people to function EXACTLY like a hearing person. They are devices to HELP us hear period, at whatever level that may be, they're not a magic fix, we know that, you know that, so why are you forever harping on it?

Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better myself. :ty:

Once you get your cochlear implant, how do you "train" with it? Is there some kind of rehabilitation that one needs to go through?

My hub got a Ci in late 30s. He had three times for speech therapy and mapping at the same time. After that Insurance stopped paying then he stopped visiting the audiology office.

Once you get your cochlear implant, how do you "train" with it? Is there some kind of rehabilitation that one needs to go through?

with programs/apps, or going to a speech therapist... you could do rehab on your own though. Angel Sound Training is a free program that can be downloaded to your computer for auditory training; there's Hearing Coach for tablets; ABle for iPads.... audiobooks are helpful. the different CI companies have their own rehab tools on each of their websites. there are many different tools/resources available for auditory rehab.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better myself. :ty:

dont worry about DD. :D its her rights of expressing her thoughts,feelings,experiences and go on about listening to the perfect SOUND. Be COOL. :lol:

My hub got a Ci in late 30s. He had three times for speech therapy and mapping at the same time. After that Insurance stopped paying then he stopped visiting the audiology office.

with programs/apps, or going to a speech therapist... you could do rehab on your own though. Angel Sound Training is a free program that can be downloaded to your computer for auditory training; there's Hearing Coach for tablets; ABle for iPads.... audiobooks are helpful. the different CI companies have their own rehab tools on each of their websites. there are many different tools/resources available for auditory rehab.

Oh, I see. Thanks

:laugh2:

It just gets incredibly old, and I haven't even been here an eternity or anything! :giggle:

No problem!! I know the feeling when it comes to me that posts i was getting serious. Now I do not know how I feel about anyones posts. :o I ve been here since 2003. :D some of us who came here earlier than i am. :)

Well I don't have one now, but will as I can, if my cochlea will allow it. So if I clicked "I don't have one" it wouldn't really help your control group.

Ambrosia - is your cochlea 'abnormal' or something like that? (Sorry I don't mean to use a negative word like that but couldn't find an adequate substitute)

:laugh2:

It just gets incredibly old, and I haven't even been here an eternity or anything! :giggle:

Same! I kind of got rude on the other thread going all-hell-unleashed about her consistently attacking people who are mostly oral. :S

Ambrosia - is your cochlea 'abnormal' or something like that? (Sorry I don't mean to use a negative word like that but couldn't find an adequate substitute)

I'm not entirely sure but I think it's possible there's been ossification or something like that. I have otosclerosis and cochlear otosclerosis. Most people that inherit it just get plain otosclerosis and bone conduction loss. Mine is in the cochlea too causing nerve damage and it must have effected the vestibules because my balance is off and have occasional problems with vertigo. If you breakdown the word otosclerosis it means an abnormal hardening of the bones in the ear, so I don't know exactly what that means for my cochlea. I did once read part of a study on people with advanced otosclerosis with CIs getting more instances if partial facial paralysis and something else I forget what. But it wasn't a new study, I'm thinking the new electrodes that AB came out with might be best for me if the my cochlea has hardened, or whatever.

And don't worry about putting rosy colored glasses on words for me ;) I'm not that sensitive about it, it is what it is. I am not my ears, and I don't take words describing their condition personally, or as a judgement on my whole person :)

Same! I kind of got rude on the other thread going all-hell-unleashed about her consistently attacking people who are mostly oral. :S

It's okay... MOST of the women on this site are pretty beast mode awesome.... because we're awesome.... :P

some of those oral deaf peeps who have been through HELL and want to share their experiences about oral. I feel them, and witnessed some of them how their parents did treat them. OH MY GOD>

I can eat, sleep and poop like a hearing person! Rant over...

Anyway, I could communicate through sign language or with spoken language effectively, I wear my cochlear implant 14 hours a day depending on what I am doing and enjoy wearing it, I like my Deaf day a week where I take break from wearing the cochlear implant and chill (usually at home on a day off)

they too much talk haha. I see evidence review pretty.
guy aganist to CI some problem topic discriminating wrongful.. I not say. my theory. I see interesting guy have obsession sound prude to sound look likes almost to exactly grammar.
sound look likes annoy to screaming big topic issues weird topic often. I recognized to person.

HA and CI really everything fine. But people think so worry to want to convinced to real person. no sense.

I am really careful on topic I am clear to understand. I cannot say once times I am really clear to understand. it is easy cool!. we doing no things control. It is good wise. It is good moving to think topic!

Wirelessly posted

I wear it at work.... yup, that's about it. I prefer lipreading and asl use outside... *shrug*

Back