Hate new cars

I found some jeeps have full time 4WD.

Yes.

2H - 2 wheel (usually RWD)

4H - 4 wheel in high range

4L - 4 wheel in low range

I haven't seen full time 4WD and still looking around.
If you want a true 4x4, you need to find an old one with solid axles, the new ones are crappy with the CV type axles that arent true full time 4x4, and if you try to use these newer type 4x4 full time it will just blow up the trans.. My 05 Dakots had that warning, and Im sure this 02 Renegade I have is the same. Can only use the 4x4 in wet, muddy or snow/ice. Where the older 4x4 you could run on dry hard surfaces.

No need to trolling Sono - because he's crazy anti-government Indian dancer. :lol:

Please could you give opinion about Cherokee and Grand Cherokee?

It will be hard to find older Cherokee, anyway and I can't think about best cars for less than $10,000.
He's not trolling, just upset I dont want to make them rich....lol

Full time means 2WD mode? I noticed about there are 2H, 4H and 4L.

Nope, you got it wrong

Jeep never had full time 4 wd, couldnt recall one of jeep but I know chevy, ford, did offer full time 4 wheel drive, it wears down everthing fast

On most jeep, either 2wd or part time 4wd

Subaru has awd, thats different than full time or part time 4wd

On 4wd jeep model it offers 2wd, 4wd h, and 4wd l, when you see or l on them it means high or low gear, so when on wet or snowy road, use 4wdh but if going though muddy or haul something out like car stuck in snow, then 4wdl is best option. Plm with 4wdl is it burns the mileage much faster. These with options I explained is called part time 4wd, not AWD or Full time cause they don't have these options available.

Nope, you got it wrong

Jeep never had full time 4 wd, couldnt recall one of jeep but I know chevy, ford, did offer full time 4 wheel drive, it wears down everthing fast

On most jeep, either 2wd or part time 4wd

Subaru has awd, thats different than full time or part time 4wd

On 4wd jeep model it offers 2wd, 4wd h, and 4wd l, when you see or l on them it means high or low gear, so when on wet or snowy road, use 4wdh but if going though muddy or haul something out like car stuck in snow, then 4wdl is best option. Plm with 4wdl is it burns the mileage much faster. These with options I explained is called part time 4wd, not AWD or Full time cause they don't have these options available.

I found Grand Cherokee has full time 4WD - that all I found, not Wrangler.

I found Grand Cherokee has full time 4WD - that all I found, not Wrangler.

Yeah but the truth is full time is the worst, it wears tires faster, tears transmission faster, more often need maintenance due to intensive wear involved when it comes to full time. There is no reason to have full 4wd really, part time 4wheel drive works best, less strain on transmission and slower wear on tires.

My experience is when going full time 4wd MPG drops more than 50%, even 75%, depends on the condition.

Yeah but the truth is full time is the worst, it wears tires faster, tears transmission faster, more often need maintenance due to intensive wear involved when it comes to full time. There is no reason to have full 4wd really, part time 4wheel drive works best, less strain on transmission and slower wear on tires.

My experience is when going full time 4wd MPG drops more than 50%, even 75%, depends on the condition.

Oh wow, I trust you because you used to be jeep owner.

I noticed most cars with high mile (over 100,000) are cheap but I'm skeptical about high repair bill.

Even in some Grand Cherokee, they don't offer switch to 2WD mode.

Sadly, many Japanese cars, especially Honda Civic are reliable but they are not big enough for me so that why I opt for SUV.

I'm wonder about what is most popular, reliable SUV that have great survivability (no dead engine, failed component)?

Oh wow, I trust you because you used to be jeep owner.

I noticed most cars with high mile (over 100,000) are cheap but I'm skeptical about high repair bill.

Even in some Grand Cherokee, they don't offer switch to 2WD mode.

Sadly, many Japanese cars, especially Honda Civic are reliable but they are not big enough for me so that why I opt for SUV.

I'm wonder about what is most popular, reliable SUV that have great survivability (no dead engine, failed component)?

Well, in a way your right but still beats monthly payment if own newer car than older cars. I would rather older car and deal with repairs and maintenance than stuck with high monthly payment for new cars.

Say, if I spent $1,500 dollars a year on maintenance and repairs, divide that by 12 months gives me only 120 dollars a month instead of 400 a month on car payment. At this time, I own three 4 wheeled vehicles and 1 two wheeled vehicle, why third 4 wheel vehicle, that is if one of other two gets out of service, I use it as back up. Me and my wife never failed anything that way.

Insurance is another thing to think about too. New car will have higher premium (full coverage) while older cars is cheaper for liability coverage as vehicle value goes down.

Well, in a way your right but still beats monthly payment if own newer car than older cars. I would rather older car and deal with repairs and maintenance than stuck with high monthly payment for new cars.

Say, if I spent $1,500 dollars a year on maintenance and repairs, divide that by 12 months gives me only 120 dollars a month instead of 400 a month on car payment. At this time, I own three 4 wheeled vehicles and 1 two wheeled vehicle, why third 4 wheel vehicle, that is if one of other two gets out of service, I use it as back up. Me and my wife never failed anything that way.

That's true about new cars cost a lot, much more than $400 per month, even I have seen someone paying more than $600 per month for new SUV/truck on 60 month loan term.

I had used Mazda car with low mile and the car payment took 40% of my income - that's hurt a lot and I decided to sold after my doctor initially told me that I'm not safe to drive due to vision issue, but until after test results, my doctor declared that I'm safe to drive, also my doctor doesn't believe that I have RP/US and they changed the diagnosis.

I don't regret about sold Mazda and I'm saving up for buy a different car - that's not happen until after cataract surgery to weed complication out. I will take bank loan as long as limit to 10% of my income so I will have enough money to save up for repair or emergencies.

If I have good paying job, I'm sure that I could afford to buy a new car so I'm stuck with disability payment for now.

Insurance is another thing to think about too. New car will have higher premium (full coverage) while older cars is cheaper for liability coverage as vehicle value goes down.

Yes, I had USAA and cost $80 per month to insure my Mazda car but it would cost 2-3 time more for newer car.

New car + under 25 + male = OMG!!! $300+ per month on insurance premium, even worse, $400-$500 per month if you buy expensive car.

If you want older Cherokee with 4.0L there's plenty and motor is reliable but you might have more pit stop with the engine's thirst for fuel (probably 18-19 mpg hwy)

Wrangler is great choice for off road use. The brand new Wrangler have 3.7L V-6 and probably get around 21-22mpg on hwy.

Reba has a 2000 Cherokee 4X4 with most options and 4.0. Agreed it is thirsty.

I owned Jeep Cherokee for 12 years (The longest I ever owned a vehicle), that was 98 model year. I do have electrical problems with cluster, it has mind of its own. That was the only problem I have for 12 years, it have NOT failed me in middle of road. I would say it has been one of most reliable vehicle I ever own. Number one was 83 GMC S-15, never changed oil, thank god I never did because it was totaled by hit and run driver, damn bastard! Second is Cherokee, kinda tie with 83 S-15 Excursion is alrighty, has some chassis issues but nothing major. 85 VW Jetta regular Diesel (Not TDI), the repairs for that VW is insanely expensive, drives very well but can't go faster than 83 MPH cause it only has 51 horses, due to no turbo. Never again Mercury Topaz. Had few PU truck, miss PU truck, been looking into 7.3L F-350 dually, crew cab, long bed (I know about parking issues, I had deal with it already) maybe get 5th wheel, I dunno yet.

But back to >>> mid/late 90's<<< Cherokee, 4.0L is way to go! It last forever just like 7.3L Diesel, MPG is alrighty, could have been better but not too bad. Yeah, missed that Cherokee. Finally, Cherokee and Wrangler parts is dirty cheap Don't get 4 cylinder Jeep, they are POS. get trusty 4.0L 6 cylinder version, you wont' be sorry. Cherokee is better choice over Wrangler if you want haul, and have family. (Oh, don't get the current generation Cherokee), its POS from what I heard, and when they first release all new Cherokee, I saw too many flaws, many of body panels are not "Square" which shows they were poorly assembled, mind you its brand new, just arrived from the factory!

Anyway, put over 40K miles on my Excursion in just 18 months, LOL More than 1/4 were pulled by 24 footer camper east to west coast, almost felt nothing when pulling, nice power!

Reba's 2000 Cherokee had instrument issues until I (mechanic could not find it) located the problem was with the battery cables. Replaced both with every connection new and never had the problem again. If I remember the warning on the dash said something about the Buss. I occasionally use it to tow a utility trailer loaded with dirt/rocks, etc.

wow...$135 full coverage on a 2002 4x4 jeep here.

I checked with USAA about quote if I own Wrangler, it will be $68 for full coverage.

Do you have accidents or traffic citations with 3-5 years?

My father's insurance premium is expensive than mine due to traffic citation.

A friend used to own '96 Cherokee Sport with 4.0L and he was telling me he averaged 13-15 mpg. A lot of torque with the 4.0L.

Reba has a 2000 Cherokee 4X4 with most options and 4.0. Agreed it is thirsty.

I checked with USAA about quote if I own Wrangler, it will be $68 for full coverage.

Do you have accidents or traffic citations with 3-5 years?

My father's insurance premium is expensive than mine due to traffic citation.
No, just higher in St Louis City due to theft and all that crap. Once I get back out of the city it will drop super cheap ( and that 135 is for quarterly paid every 3 months. )

No, just higher in St Louis City due to theft and all that crap. Once I get back out of the city it will drop super cheap ( and that 135 is for quarterly paid every 3 months. )

Not surprised, insurance premium is expensive in DC.

If I have to work in DC, I prefer NoVA - probably lower premium and I avoid driving in DC as possible - full of crackhead on road.

We pay our vehicle insurance (USAA) every six months.

Full coverage on 2006 Jeep Commander is $288.

Full coverage on 2000 Jeep Cherokee is $202.

We pay our vehicle insurance (USAA) every six months.

Full coverage on 2006 Jeep Commander is $288.

Full coverage on 2000 Jeep Cherokee is $202.

Wow, cheaper than mine - $480 for 6 months.

I had 2 accidents in 2012 - one of them is at fault because university police sided with 18 years old guy who speeding on parking lot and blame on me. USAA unwilling to dispute the claim but they opt to cover without charge the deductible to fix his car.

2 years to left so it will be off on my driving record.

Back